Average cost for SMG to manual conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post
    Got quoted $4.7 here in the Bay Area w/ new clutch by a very reputable shop. Another shop quoted me $3.3k no clutch.
    I’m looking for a shop, which shop in the Bay Area did you go to?

Comment

Originally posted by Elferraz View Post

I’m looking for a shop, which shop in the Bay Area did you go to?
      Performance techniq is the most popular. I haven’t done it yet.
      06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Mine was a hair over $5600 done through Kassel Performance in York PA, felt comfortable going through them as they’ve done a number of these conversions so far. However there were some notable extras I opted for which make the price quite decent overall...
        Autosolutions 0%/3% reduction kit
        CSB
        Trans mounts
        Software set to genuine CSL
        New clutch and flywheel via FCP
        E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

A good local shop said it would take about $7k for them to do it right, with all new BMW parts. They are superb shop, so I'm sure that would be a job well done, and completely indistinguishable from factory.
          BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I got mine done here in san antonio by a shop that had not done it before..... turnkey for a hair over 3k. Cruise control, pdc etc work with no engine codes. Granted i still have the smg wheel, airbox, and cluster, but i dont think an additional 4k to that cost is worthwhile unless youre trying to flip it on bringatrailer (and even then....)
            Last edited by lemoose; 05-29-2021, 07:07 AM.
            2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

For $7k they probably get a true low mileage 6MT.
              06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

I can't help but lol @ original owners paying 2400 extra for smg only for subsequent owners to pay 4k to remove it.

They used to brag their car could shift in 80 milliseconds but then I'd still beat them in a drag.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I consider doing this service for others myself.. did mine last month and it took 4 days of hard labor. Not easy but straightforward. I thought of charging 2k for the labout (CND) without coding .... can't imagine less for 4 days of work.

coding is £120 from ECUWorks.. parts cost me roughly 1200 with new clutch and GPS. Did my own BH conversion.

Comment

Mine ended up around a little over $4500. Was $2000 for labor. Parts included the bellhousing, new clutch, and autosolutions ssk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                      I can't help but lol @ original owners paying 2400 extra for smg only for subsequent owners to pay 4k to remove it.

They used to brag their car could shift in 80 milliseconds but then I'd still beat them in a drag.
                      ha. but 80ms is incredibly fast and certainly was brag worthy being it out performed any other sequential manual, Italians included (and certainly faster than a human).

Comment

My point being it was boasted by people who couldn't drive manuals as a means of self validation.

There is no question transmissions like pdk are testaments to technology. Still ironic people are paying to remove smg.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                          My point being it was boasted by people who couldn't drive manuals as a means of self validation.

There is no question transmissions like pdk are testaments to technology. Still ironic people are paying to remove smg.
                          I think the vast majority of swaps are not the original (or even second) owner but the third, fourth, or even fifth owners. Most original or second owners who may have made those type of statements have long since moved on. I don't see the irony in that at all. The issue is the cost of throwing parts at an SMG problem if you don't understand the system (or in some cases even if you do). Cost analysis is all that is at play here. Also in 2001 through 2006 there was still a ton on manuals on the road and our cars would have been originally driven by people born, at the latest, in 1980 (unless they had some really rich parents or were willing to take on that big payment). I don't know very many guys born in the 70s, such as myself, or very early 80s who can't drive stick.
                          Last edited by oceansize; 05-31-2021, 11:26 AM.
                          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

The irony is that these cars were deliberately ordered because of the smg transmission by their majority owners (who couldn't drive manual is another argument) which is explained by the sales volume of this iteration of the m3. I am speaking for socal, obviously not Tennessee. I understand all the cost analyses and other irrelevant points that don't pertain to my argument. Fifth hand owners, well at least most, don't buy an smg car with the intent to convert to manual. The ones who do are a small niche group. Therefore, it is ironic that these cars were specced with an smg at a cost of $2400, then subsequent owners sought these cars out and after much trial and tribulation decide to convert to a manual transmission for a few K more. I'm not going to post any further on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by m3nt0s View Post
                              Mine was a hair over $5600 done through Kassel Performance in York PA, felt comfortable going through them as they’ve done a number of these conversions so far. However there were some notable extras I opted for which make the price quite decent overall...
                              Autosolutions 0%/3% reduction kit
                              CSB
                              Trans mounts
                              Software set to genuine CSL
                              New clutch and flywheel via FCP
                              I'm still kicking myself for not going with an Auto solutions SSK with my conversion. Definitely cost saving to do it while the transmission is out of the car and not later down the road.
                              Garage:
                              2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
                              1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

Comment

What I can't get over is people claiming standard transmissions are manly or proves you're some great driver. If you've taken a trip over the pond you'll notice 70+ year old grannies driving standard transmissions.

​​​​​If you prefer manual, good for you.

Anyways aside from that. Around 4.5k with a new clutch is a good price. If you have a lot of free time I think doing it yourself would be a good use of the extra time, unless you can potentially use that time to make $$$.

I just did my subframe reinforcement and all the bushings over 3 weeks.

Also the manual vs smg/dct whatever is that unless you've driven both on the track, you won't understand the benefits of using paddles for shifting. You can focus on the lines and trail braking and correction without thinking about depressing the clutch, rev matching and throwing in gear while taking a turn.

I've just recently purchased this car with SMG. And I picked up a whole swap for 1800. But, I'm not going to swap it until something goes wrong with the SMG. Because I know for a fact I'll probably be faster in this on track than the manual version.
                                Last edited by simonnim; 06-01-2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X