Average cost for SMG to manual conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average cost for SMG to manual conversion

What’s the average cost for getting an smg to manual conversion done ? Been calling a few shops and getting very different pricing. Trying to reuse/modify the bell housing since it has low miles.

I would think low $3k, depending on shifter, whether or not you fit a new clutch and/or flywheel, and a few other choices like whether or not you install a gear position sensor (which is wholly unnecessary with the right coding). At least that's what prices were when I was asking around a couple of years ago.

I ended up deciding to do it myself. Because I was renting a lift for $30/hr it ended up costing about the same as paying to have it done professionally in the end. But I did learn a tremendous amount and have peace of mind in knowing exactly how every part was done.

Comment

Should be about $1k in parts and between $450-600 for bellhousing machining. Hours vary between shops. One quoted me $7k, who had performed them successfully for a turn key service. Another was $1.5k in labor that hadn't done it before. You can achieve this under $2k if you're keen on deals and don't replace the clutch. I'm at about $700 in parts and I only need a clutch switch, gear position sensor, and a machined bellhousing. The shifter parts were all on sale and I bought the BMW performance shifter for $180 from the dealer. It's slightly more weighted than stock and has alcantara on it. It was the cheapest of them all ironically. I also got lucky and found a $50 pedal set a guy was just trying to clear out. Sometimes patience is key. My conversion is 3 years in the making...
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Lang Racing has the bellhousing modifications for a tad over $500 - https://store.langracing.com/e46-bel...al-conversion/ The rest is pretty straight forward.
        E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
        Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

I've gotten quotes anywhere from $3500 to $4k, includes things like the bmw shifter, weighted knob, clutch, rear main seal, engine/trans mounts, csb, flex joint etc. Flywheel extra.

Comment

That’s good to see some pricing because I was getting some quotes for 7k and higher which seemed crazy

Comment

I did a new clutch, engine mounts and other things while in there and I ended up spending just under $2k on everything. I did the labor and coding myself which likely saved a lot.

Comment

I was quoted $3400 by a shop up here in WA. This would include all brand new oem parts, labor, coding, etc. Essentially, out the door for $3400.

Comment

Originally posted by Heckblende View Post
                  I was quoted $3400 by a shop up here in WA. This would include all brand new oem parts, labor, coding, etc. Essentially, out the door for $3400.
                  Which shop? I'm up here in Seattle as well and a conversion is in my future when the SMG inevitably dies. Feel free to PM me if you would prefer.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Heckblende View Post
                    That sounds like a pretty good price. That’s in the ball park of what I had in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Which shop? I'm up here in Seattle as well and a conversion is in my future when the SMG inevitably dies. Feel free to PM me if you would prefer.
                      AMS Autogroup in Tacoma. Great to see another member from the Seattle area on here.

Comment

I have a pretty good array of tools etc, and consider myself a better than avg. home garage mechanic-- I did the transmission swap over several weekends this month (stayed with SMG, which i enjoy--but had the dreaded 4th gear synchro grind).
                        I still had to buy quite a number of tools for this job/long extensions / second tranny jack/ engine bar.. This was a very tedious and time consuming job. (getting the frozen tranny bolts out alone was 3-4 hours). If you can get a turnkey job for $3,400 I'd say go for it all day long. And 'while you're there', replace engine mounts, clutch/flywheell/ driveshaft guibo and possibly your steering guibo too. let us know how it comes out!

Comment

and make sure it's your bell housing that is going to be worked on. I've read somewhere that there can be some misalignments or something with donor bell housings??

Comment

There are a couple of factors but it's $44-5000 at my shop depending on shifter and whether we replace the clutch. All new parts are used, bell housing is converted in house and coding is done to like BMW did (we also use the gear position sensor). There are (73) parts used in the way we do the conversion.
                            Last edited by George Hill; 09-28-2020, 06:56 PM.
                            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Got quoted $4.7 here in the Bay Area w/ new clutch by a very reputable shop. Another shop quoted me $3.3k no clutch.
                              06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X