Beisan S54 Exhaust Sprocket Hub Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpiazzam3 View Post
    Is there anyway of knowing if I have an early enough M3 to fall into that category of having the “better” hub. I have an 01 with a November build date. I still want to do my Vanos as preventative maintenance but I’ve been going back and forth between subframe and Vanos. If there is a way to tell if I have the “better” hub it would help in my decision and maybe put off the Vanos till after subframe reinforcement. Any help would be appreciated
    If by "better hub" you mean the one being discussed in this thread, you most definitely don't have it in your car. This hub was only developed in the past year or so. That said, depending on when you bought your car, previous owner might have done some VANOS work and used another solution like Turbotoy, or a cryo hub. You only need the hub if at least one of your tabs is broken, otherwise you can reuse your hub if both tabs are intact. You SHOULD replace the oil pump disc with redrilled holes as that is the real solution to the tab breaking problem.

I would do VANOS before subframe unless your subframe is separated and falling off the car.
    Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

If by "better hub" you mean the one being discussed in this thread, you most definitely don't have it in your car. This hub was only developed in the past year or so. That said, depending on when you bought your car, previous owner might have done some VANOS work and used another solution like Turbotoy, or a cryo hub. You only need the hub if at least one of your tabs is broken, otherwise you can reuse your hub if both tabs are intact. You SHOULD replace the oil pump disc with redrilled holes as that is the real solution to the tab breaking problem.

I would do VANOS before subframe unless your subframe is separated and falling off the car.
      I was quoting this part of the original post by Raj ”A small number of early production S54 engines have an initial version of the BMW exhaust hub (pic left hub).
      BMW redesigned the original exhaust hub, and the new version (pic right hub) is the one found on most S54 engines and is provided as a BMW part.
      The primary difference between the BMW original hub version and the BMW new version is the thickness and taper of the hub wall and wall base curve.
      BMW increased the taper (angle) of the hub wall, thus thinning it, and deepened the wall base curve (scoop), thus also thinning it. These changes were likely made to ease the release of the hub from the forging die it’s formed in.” I was wondering if my motor is considered early enough

Comment

It doesn't matter. If your stock hub is fine, be it the early one or later one, just get the besian pump disc. If your tab(s) ARE broken, whether an earlier or later hub, get this new besian hub (and disc).
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I was wondering if my motor is considered early enough
          Yeah, what T said, they all break, real cause being the oversized holes in the oil pump disc.
          Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

So there’s no way of knowing???

Comment

You can open your valve cover and look.
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Per above comment, you can pop the valve cover off and look to see if your tab(s) broke off, but that is already a bit late. Broken tabs don't always neatly sit in the oil pump orifice waiting for you to discover them, some dislodge themselves and blow holes in the valve cover by being flung by rotating engine, some get wedged in between the sprocket and chain blowing engines, some fall gracefully into the oil pan.

Are you feeling lucky?
                Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Guys I really appreciate the comments. And my Vanos is a top priority for me. I know it needs to be addressed. But can anyone answer my original question. Is their a Vin number or a build date when BMW switch their hub making process

Comment

Guys I really appreciate the comments. And my Vanos is a top priority for me. I know it needs to be addressed. But can anyone answer my original question. Is their a Vin number or a build date when BMW switch their hub making process
                    I’m sure there is but only bmw knows what the exact cutoff is. Either way it doesn’t buy you that much extra time, so just order the disc and get down to it.

Comment

Excellent product at an affordable price. Wish it was around when I bought a new hub from BMW about 5 years ago for twice the price of this. Thank you for everything you've done for this platform.
                      2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                      2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                      X