Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Has Gotten The Airbag Recall Done At Their Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Has Gotten The Airbag Recall Done At Their Home?

Hi everyone,

I have received letters from BMW stating they will send a technician to my home to replace the airbag/s. I'm intrigued by this because I rather not leave my car at the dealership as it has no business there any longer being 15 years old. How did this go? Was it an actual BMW technician? Any headaches to anticipate?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah I did it. A BMW tech showed up in an X3. Chatted about cars for a bit. I had already taken the trim off to repaint which made it easier. Unlocked the car and signed the paperwork since I had to jump on the car. I think he was done in 20 min.

Comment

Originally posted by S3diment View Post
      Yeah I did it. A BMW tech showed up in an X3. Chatted about cars for a bit. I had already taken the trim off to repaint which made it easier. Unlocked the car and signed the paperwork since I had to jump on the car. I think he was done in 20 min.
      Ah okay. That sounds good. So what airbags were replaced? I have an 05 and I'm trying to figure out if it's one or both.

Comment

Originally posted by 05CherryM3 View Post

Ah okay. That sounds good. So what airbags were replaced? I have an 05 and I'm trying to figure out if it's one or both.
        Both should be done, I received separate recall notices for each of them and had both done at once.
        Attached Files
        E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

I literally just had this done on Thursday. I was waiting for the recalls of the recalls to be fixed , so that's why it took me so long to schedule it (they actually asked me why I haven't done it yet). Anyway. The only headache you might have is actually getting a mobile tech to come to your house. Since they've been sending out these notices and replacing parts for like 2(?) years at this point, they will only send out a mobile tech to your house IF you live within 10 miles of a dealership. At least that's what I've been told in norcal. Luckily I am 9.2m away from one.

Whole job was maybe 15mins, he asked to turn key to position 2 to confirm that the airbag light was not on, then proceeded. The positive - the entire round middle section of the steering wheel where the horn/roundel is, gets replaced, so if you were looking to get a fresh roundel there, boom done. The negative is that, on pass side, when he was taking out the trim he put his trim puller under the aluminum trim rather than the plastic that actually holds the trim on and so he bent the aluminum a bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by mrgizmo04; 10-17-2020, 07:17 AM.
          Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
            The negative is that, on pass side, when he was taking out the trim he put his trim puller under the aluminum trim rather than the plastic that actually holds the trim on and so he bent the aluminum a bit.
            This is exactly why I've been putting off the pass side recall. I think I'm just going to disassemble everything myself and have the tech just replace the airbag.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I would definitely have everything removed and ready for the repair to avoid damage. I called awhile ago about the mobile repair and they would only do the passenger side. You would think they would do both beings they are already there. 🙄
              TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
              Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
              Evolve Eventuri
              - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                The negative is that, on pass side, when he was taking out the trim he put his trim puller under the aluminum trim rather than the plastic that actually holds the trim on and so he bent the aluminum a bit.
                Did you ask the dealership to replace the trim? Seems like a reasonable request.

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
                  I would definitely have everything removed and ready for the repair to avoid damage. I called awhile ago about the mobile repair and they would only do the passenger side. You would think they would do both beings they are already there. 🙄
                  Should be able to cite the recall campaign numbers and have them do the work on both airbags accordingly.
                  E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by bmw View Post

Did you ask the dealership to replace the trim? Seems like a reasonable request.
                    I expressed my dissatisfaction to the office admin, waiting for the supervisor to call me back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X