Time Sert FCAB bolt pockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Sert FCAB bolt pockets

Anyone had to repair the threads in the FCAB bolt pockets? I had to tap the threads of both front bolts and after doing so there must not be enough material left to get the bolt up to the torque. Anyone see any issues with using a time sert in this location?

Originally posted by F1Dryvr View Post
    Anyone had to repair the threads in the FCAB bolt pockets? I had to tap the threads of both front bolts and after doing so there must not be enough material left to get the bolt up to the torque. Anyone see any issues with using a time sert in this location?
    Based on this writeup a timesert will not work since the threads are already basically an insert welded to the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great....

Comment

Great....
        Sorry. A helicoil needs less "meat" than a timesert. Might be worth a try.

But the correct repair would be cutting the floor pan above the FCAB exposing the welded insert, cutting the weld off the insert, find new insert and weld it on.

Comment

Sounds like alot of fun. At least my carpet is already gone. Also i have to do both sides....

Thanks for the info, i do love and hate this car almost equally.

Comment

I cross threaded one of mine and hired a shop to re-tap it for me since I didn't have the guts to do so. I've heard that a stud can be welded in place if your threads are too far gone.
            '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
            '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
            '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
            '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

You can do it. I've done it twice (on the same threads). First time used timesert, second time had to use bigsert. With bigsert there probably isn't much material left but it torqued up properly. Use timesert (search for the longer ones than come in a pack) and it should work out. I will probably one day look into the options that eacmen posted.
              Last edited by e46mpwrd; 10-20-2020, 11:03 AM.
              '06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

Bigsert is 500$?

Comment

Originally posted by e46mpwrd View Post
                  You can do it. I've done it twice (on the same threads). First time used timesert, second time had to use bigsert. With bigsert there probably isn't much material left but it torqued up properly. Use timesert (search for the longer ones than come in a pack) and it should work out. I will probably one day look into the options that eacmen posted.
                  Thank God. It’s good to know that it’s at least possible to try. So are you saying that a regular time sir won’t work? And did you have to use the time CERT and then realize it didn’t work and then have to go to the Big Cert?

Comment

Thank God. It’s good to know that it’s at least possible to try. So are you saying that a regular time sir won’t work? And did you have to use the time CERT and then realize it didn’t work and then have to go to the Big Cert?
                    No, sorry for being confusing. I screwed up again and cross threaded the timesert, so bigsert was needed. Moral of my story is don't rush a FCAB job. Timesert is what you need but you should look for longer timeserts (the one in the pack is like 1cm). Something around 2-3cm will be better. They offer them just google around.
                    '06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

stripped out threads, damaged threads, blown out sparkplugs, stripped thread, stripped out theads, helicoils, ford sparkplug repair, repair ford sparkplugs blew out with time-sert, thread repair problems, spark plug ford blown, blew out ford sparkplug, stripped theads, threads stripped out, threads got stipped out of ford sparkplug, repairing stripped threads, thread repair kits and inserts, repairing sparkplugs threads, sparkplugs threads have stripped out, screw thread inserts for striped out threads, automobile threads blown out, motorcycle threads stripped out threads, not helicoil use time-sert thread repair, screw thread insert, inserts for screw threads, screw thead inserts have stripped out

They have a pretty informative website, and I think almost all (maybe all) of their products are on Amazon too. I love Timeserts, they've bailed me out before.
                      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I've time-serted one before without issues. It was years ago, memory is a little fuzzy, I vaguely remember the lip being a little tricky to work around but other than that no problem. That car saw a ton of track time too.
                        IG: @limited.slip

Mystic Blue / M-cloth E46 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
                        A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶/̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶E̶4̶6̶ ̶3̶2̶5̶i̶ ̶T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶5̶4̶ ̶6̶M̶T̶
                        Imola Red / Alcantara / Cloth E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
                        Titanium Silver / Black E39 540i M-Sport
                        Touring S62 6MT
                        Alpine White / Black E90 M3 M3 S65 7DCT

Comment

Timesert tooling makes it really simple to do correctly. I had to use them on the VANOS head bolts before. Worked great!

Comment

Yep worked perfect on vanos head...

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                              http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html

They have a pretty informative website, and I think almost all (maybe all) of their products are on Amazon too. I love Timeserts, they've bailed me out before.
                              Thanks for this!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X