Need help diagnosing problem after vanos update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help diagnosing problem after vanos update

After installing an updated Vanos with the full Beisan upgrades including a new exhaust hub I'm getting two fault codes now. The old Vanos was seemingly working fine and I was doing this as a preventive measure. However, I did find that one of the exhaust hub tabs was broken.

The fault codes running ISTA are 00000F DME: Camshaft sensor: synchronization to crankshaft. Also 0000B9 DME: Function, exhaust Vanos. The P codes are P0017 and P0014 which are consistent with the ISTA codes.

At idle the exhaust cam is at approximately 19 degrees when I understand it's supposed to be at approximately 0. The intake cam is at approximately 57 degrees at idle and seems to be fine on all of the tests that I've run. Using Tool 32 the intake cam passes all of the Vanos tests but the exhaust cam fails.

I've taken everything apart several times to check my timing. I have a BMW oem timing tool and crank locking pin. After putting the Vanos back together it was timed perfectly. I rotated the crankshaft probably 10 to 15 times and it was still correctly timed. However, I could not retard the timing on either the intake or the exhaust cam. Other than maybe a few millimeters I couldn't rotate either cam in either direction using a 24mm wrench. I had to loosen all of the hub bolts to get the Vanos off as the exhaust spline shaft was all the way in the hub and couldn't be retarded out when the hub was bolted down.

I checked my exhaust cam position sensor and it's working. I also put my old Vanos back on with the new exhaust hub and got the same codes.

I've attached screenshots showing the ISTA fault codes and the vanos test results using Tool 32 and Testo. I've also attached a video showing the Vanos data running Testo. You can see how the exhaust reading bounces around between approximately 19 and 8. I was wondering if it could actually move around that much that fast or if that's possibly an error.

I was hoping someone might have some ideas as to what could possibly be wrong as this is certainly not my expertise. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2020_10_14_after_new_vanos3.pdf

Test file : C:\USERS\BOADL\DOCUMENTS\CARS\MY 2004 M3\TOOLSET32\MSS54_VANOS_TESTS.TST
    Start : 14.10.2020 16:23:29.4
    Nr 1( 1) : 14.10.2020 16:23:29.5
    apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_FRUEHANSCHLAG", "","")
    JOB_STATUS = OKAY
    EVAN_ISTWERT = -3 FF FF FF FD ÿÿÿý
    EVAN_SOLLWERT = -10 FF FF FF F6 ÿÿÿö
    EVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
    EVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
    Nr 2( 1) : 14.10.2020 16:23:34.8
    apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_SPAETANSCHLAG", "","")
    JOB_STATUS = OKAY
    EVAN_ISTWERT = 57 00 39 .9
    EVAN_SOLLWERT = 75 00 4B .K
    Nr 3( 1) : 14.10.2020 16:23:40.2
    apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_VERSTELLZEIT"," ","")
    JOB_STATUS = OKAY
    EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH = 337 01 51 .Q
    EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET = 257 01 01 ..
    EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH_EINH = ms
    EVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET_EINH = ms
    Nr 4( 1) : 14.10.2020 16:23:46.5
    apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_EVANOS1_DICHTHEIT",""," ")
    JOB_STATUS = OKAY
    EVAN_STATUS = EVANOS-1-Einheit vorzeitig weggedriftet
    Nr 5( 1) : 14.10.2020 16:24:00.9
    apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_FRUEHANSCHLAG", "","")
    JOB_STATUS = OKAY
    AVAN_ISTWERT = 21 00 15 ..
    AVAN_SOLLWERT = -10 FF FF FF F6 ÿÿÿö
    AVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
    AVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
    Nr 6( 1) : 14.10.2020 16:24:06.2
    apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_SPAETANSCHLAG", "","")
    JOB_STATUS = OKAY
    AVAN_ISTWERT = 57 00 39 .9
    AVAN_SOLLWERT = 55 00 37 .7
    AVAN_ISTWERT_EINH = Grad KW
    AVAN_SOLLWERT_EINH = Grad KW
    Nr 7( 1) : 14.10.2020 16:24:11.5
    apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_VERSTELLZEIT"," ","")
    JOB_STATUS = OKAY
    AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH = 2864 0B 30 .0
    AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET = 0 00 00 ..
    AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_FRUEH_EINH = ms
    AVAN_VERSTELLZEIT_SPAET_EINH = ms
    Nr 8( 1) : 14.10.2020 16:24:17.8
    apiJob("mss54ds0","STEUERN_AVANOS1_DICHTHEIT",""," ")
    JOB_STATUS = OKAY
    AVAN_STATUS = AVANOS-1-Einheit vorzeitig weggedriftet
    Stop : 14.10.2020 16:24:32.7
    Dauer : 63.3 s

apiJob("MSS54DS0","steuern_evanos1_dichtheit",""," ")

Satz : 0
    OBJECT = mss54ds0
    SAETZE = 1
    JOBNAME = steuern_evanos1_dichtheit
    VARIANTE = MSS54DS0
    JOBSTATUS =
    UBATTCURRENT = -1
    UBATTHISTORY = -1
    IGNITIONCURRENT = -1
    IGNITIONHISTORY = -1
    Satz : 1
    JOB_STATUS = OKAY
    EVAN_ISTWERT = 43 00 2B .+
    EVAN_SOLLWERT = 45 00 2D .-
    EVAN_STATUS = Messung beendet, Soll-/Istwert-Vergleich ausfuehren

apiJob("MSS54DS0","steuern_avanos1_dichtheit",""," ")

Satz : 0
    OBJECT = mss54ds0
    SAETZE = 1
    JOBNAME = steuern_avanos1_dichtheit
    VARIANTE = MSS54DS0
    JOBSTATUS =
    UBATTCURRENT = -1
    UBATTHISTORY = -1
    IGNITIONCURRENT = -1
    IGNITIONHISTORY = -1
    Satz : 1
    JOB_STATUS = OKAY
    AVAN_STATUS = AVANOS-1-Einheit vorzeitig weggedriftet

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (77).png Views:	0 Size:	159.5 KB ID:	63499

2020_10_14_vanos_test_after_new_vanos.txt
    Last edited by boadly; 10-21-2020, 08:47 PM.

It sounds like you installed it correctly. Do you get full range of motion on the exhaust splined shaft and is the first tooth engaged on that side with almost no exhaust hub rotation? Maybe try a stock exhaust hub to rule out the possibility of a tolerance issue.

Comment

Did you change solenoids?

How are you running the vanos tests with tool32? I thought only dis could do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

it sounds to me the issue is in the assembly (as you did not have the issue before), or, either the solenoid pack or the valve block are giving you trouble (strange).

Your tests results indicate the timing is off though, but assuming you set all correctly, bad solenoids will make the system not reach the limits (you are off in your results)

What doesn't tie is that your exhaust leak test indicates the camshaft cannot hold the position, hence why I say you may have an issue with the valve block or the solenoid pack. What was the torque spec you used for the cam gears? if you went crazy tight, you locked the cam gears and the timing won't move, they should carry only 10-12NM, which is a low torque value. You should be able to advance/retard with the 24mm spanner, if not, you tightened the cam gears too much so that you locked them (especially if the system is free of oil, as it should, after taking the VANO apart), if you open it up again, remove the solenoid block and rock the cams with the 24mm spanner, this will push out oil in the system if still they don't move, you tightened the hell out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by boadly View Post
          1) I've taken everything apart several times to check my timing. I have a BMW oem timing tool and crank locking pin. After putting the Vanos back together it was timed perfectly. I rotated the crankshaft probably 10 to 15 times and it was still correctly timed.

2) However, I could not retard the timing on either the intake or the exhaust cam. Other than maybe a few millimeters I couldn't rotate either cam in either direction using a 24mm wrench. I had to loosen all of the hub bolts to get the Vanos off as the exhaust spline shaft was all the way in the hub and couldn't be retarded out when the hub was bolted down.
          I'm not sure 1 and 2 are in chronological order or just random. 2 should have been done before 1.

Re to 2, was the solenoid plate removed before trying to turn the cam with 24mm wrench? Removing the solenoid plate allowing the pistons to move forward easier with no built up pressure. The slope angle of the splines making it's easy to move the piston to rotate the cam but not the other way around. Therefore it's best to turn the cam after the piston shaft is disconnected from the spline shaft.

The error code says EX has 19* advance, but using the bridge tool it was confirmed correct timing. I have trouble seeing how can this happen. Since you had opened the valve cover multiple times after the first trial, did you use the bridge tool to verify the cams timing after engine running with EX = 19 at idle? It should show that the EX not lining up with the bridge pin. Was it about 19* ?

Comment

One way to explain your problem is that you had set the timing correctly, but during engine running somehow the VANOS cannot move the EX cam to zero degree, such as the solenoid valve cannot release the pressure for piston to move back after the piston had advanced in previous cycle.

I believe what you said, but I hope it's just simply the timing was set wrong and didn't detect this during timing checking with bridge tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
              It sounds like you installed it correctly. Do you get full range of motion on the exhaust splined shaft and is the first tooth engaged on that side with almost no exhaust hub rotation? Maybe try a stock exhaust hub to rule out the possibility of a tolerance issue.
              Yes, I found the so called "sweet spot" which produced the least initial rotation of the hub. This is actually my second Beisan exhaust hub as I initially thought it might be causing my problem. I'll probably try putting my old hub back in just to make sure that's not the problem but I'm guessing it's not. I'm just getting tired of taking everything apart and putting it back together again.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                Did you change solenoids?

How are you running the vanos tests with tool32? I thought only dis could do it.

Yes, all new Beisan components including the solenoid. Yes, the test resuts in German from my intial post were done with Tool32.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                  it sounds to me the issue is in the assembly (as you did not have the issue before), or, either the solenoid pack or the valve block are giving you trouble (strange).

Your tests results indicate the timing is off though, but assuming you set all correctly, bad solenoids will make the system not reach the limits (you are off in your results)

What doesn't tie is that your exhaust leak test indicates the camshaft cannot hold the position, hence why I say you may have an issue with the valve block or the solenoid pack. What was the torque spec you used for the cam gears? if you went crazy tight, you locked the cam gears and the timing won't move, they should carry only 10-12NM, which is a low torque value. You should be able to advance/retard with the 24mm spanner, if not, you tightened the cam gears too much so that you locked them (especially if the system is free of oil, as it should, after taking the VANO apart), if you open it up again, remove the solenoid block and rock the cams with the 24mm spanner, this will push out oil in the system if still they don't move, you tightened the hell out of them.
                  It's a new rebuilt Beisan solenoid. I also tried my old solenoid and got the same results. I followed the Beisan instructions which called for 12nm. Even with the solenoid off and no oil pressure in the system I can’t rotate either cam.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I'm not sure 1 and 2 are in chronological order or just random. 2 should have been done before 1.

Re to 2, was the solenoid plate removed before trying to turn the cam with 24mm wrench? Removing the solenoid plate allowing the pistons to move forward easier with no built up pressure. The slope angle of the splines making it's easy to move the piston to rotate the cam but not the other way around. Therefore it's best to turn the cam after the piston shaft is disconnected from the spline shaft.

The error code says EX has 19* advance, but using the bridge tool it was confirmed correct timing. I have trouble seeing how can this happen. Since you had opened the valve cover multiple times after the first trial, did you use the bridge tool to verify the cams timing after engine running with EX = 19 at idle? It should show that the EX not lining up with the bridge pin. Was it about 19* ?

Like I said I can't move either cam more than a few millimeters with the hub bolts tightened even with the solenoid off. So with the crank locked at top dead center and the hub bolts loosened I would rotate the cams so they would perfectly align with my BMW timing tool. I then tightened the hub bolts and reinstalled the Vanos making sure the camshafts didn't move. After that, I rotated the crank multiple turns, locked the crank and checked the timing again. At that point I may have had to rotate the cams a millimeter or two to get the pins on the timing tool to slide in perfectly.

Yes, when I opened it back up you could see the timing was off.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                      One way to explain your problem is that you had set the timing correctly, but during engine running somehow the VANOS cannot move the EX cam to zero degree, such as the solenoid valve cannot release the pressure for piston to move back after the piston had advanced in previous cycle.

I believe what you said, but I hope it's just simply the timing was set wrong and didn't detect this during timing checking with bridge tool.
                      This is the first time I've done this and I don't consider myself to be a mechanic. I'm just a guy that likes tinkering with my car and learning to do things I feel comfortable trying. It's probably a higher degree of difficulty than the other things I've done to the car but I studied some DIYs and watched several videos so I felt comfortable at least attempting this. I also did a valve adjustment at the same time. That said, setting the timing doesn't seem that complicated considering I have the BMW timing tool and crank locking pin. Like I've said, I know when I closed everything up it was correctly timed to the extent that the pin slid into the timing tool with the engine locked at top dead center after rotating the crank several times.

Comment

I don't know if this is just a random coincidence or if it might be related to my timing problem but when using my Schwaben tool now it shows the misfire counter is not active. As far as I know it had always been active and worked before. It's my understanding that misfires are detected with the crankshaft sensor. I replaced the crankshaft sensor a few months ago so I doubt it would be bad. However, I did try to check the crankshaft sensor using the same method as I did to check the camshaft sensor. That is, using a multimeter to see if the voltage dropped after moving a metal socket near the sensor. For the camshaft it was showing 5 volts which dropped to 0 when the metal was moved near the sensor. The crankshaft sensor showed 2.5 volts but didn't change when I moved the socket near the sensor. I also tried my old crankshaft sensor which was not defective when I removed it and got the same readings so I don't know if this method correctly identifies a bad crankshaft sensor.

Comment

Ive found that you need to rock the cam back and forth to free it before fully retarding it to set timing. If you can't move the cam in either direction (advance or retard) with the hub bolts snug then something is too tight.

Need to make sure that the both piston rods in the vanos unit are fully pressed in (with caps ON).

Also need to make sure the hubs have minimal travel before the splined shaft is inserted.

Slop in the chain can cause some deviation but not 19deg.

Edited: changed loosened to snug.

Last edited by eacmen; 10-22-2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boadly View Post
                            Like I said I can't move either cam more than a few millimeters with the hub bolts tightened even with the solenoid off.
                            What did you torque the hub bolts to?

Edit: nevermind I just saw you responded above.
                            Last edited by heinzboehmer; 10-22-2020, 11:55 AM.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I don't agree with everything these guys do but it's a good visual aid alongside the Beisan procedures.

As the start of this video, the hub bolts are finger tight, crank is at tdc, and cams are aligned using the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X