Transmission Fluid (oil thread part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Fluid (oil thread part 2)

While I do have fun with oil threads, I do genuinely like reading what people's experiences with different fluids are. I had some MT-90 sitting around because I accidentally used the oil I was saving for my M3, on my temporary replacement car. I thought my MT-90 was MTL but I didn't check until months after when I needed it. Things have just been stored in closets. Well I threw some of that in because I'm curious. Will it suck? Maybe. Will it help counteract my lightweight flywheel a little, hopefully enough to allow the SMG to figure it out.

Anyone use the MT 90? Anyone tested this and OEM fluid side by side in an SMG or just manual?

There used to be a thread on this. I'm more than happy to hear about other fluids.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Redline products are not the best for use in street driven cars.

... and they don't make a fluid that meets the specs of our trans, so in that specific case, not great for track use either.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      Redline products are not the best for use in street driven cars.

... and they don't make a fluid that meets the specs of our trans, so in that specific case, not great for track use either.
      What about redline products make them not suitable for street use?

Comment

I just switched out to the "redline cocktail" of 1 qt MTL + 1 qt MT 90 about 1000 miles ago on my 6mt. Used to use this mix in my evo x / eagle talon which I tracked heavily and never had any issues. So far I've noticed that the car is a bit quieter at speed and has some more smoothness between gears. They are a bit more "grabby" to stay in place and I don't have any issues with 4th gear popout anymore. I remember swapping out the fluid on my e39 M5 (same trans) for pentosin MTL-2. If I had to compare (entirely subjective) I'd say that the MTL-2 feels even smoother and heftier, albeit not as quick going between gears.

Comment

Originally posted by DESMDR3 View Post

What about redline products make them not suitable for street use?
          Race fluids are designed to be replaced after every race and give no consideration to low temperature performance.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Use this! Ehh, just kidding, don’t use that. I remember this was discussed at length in the old days on M3F. 🙃
            Click image for larger version

Name:	117149007.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	6678

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Monkey View Post
              Use this! Ehh, just kidding, don’t use that. I remember this was discussed at length in the old days on M3F. 🙃

Name:	117149007.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	6678
              Royal purple is just crap, for all use cases.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Royal purple is just crap, for all use cases.

Name:	tenor.gif?itemid=12345613.gif
Views:	1150
Size:	950.9 KB
ID:	6684

Just kidding Ian. Don’t ban stick me. 😋

Comment

... and they don't make a fluid that meets the specs of our trans
                  If I'm not mistaken, BMW specifies 75w90 API GL-4 fluid for the 420g in our cars, which is the same specs as the MT 90 mentioned in the original post

I don't want to seem like the redline defense force but there seems to be some weird stigma in BMW forums (m5board included) about redline. Are there any instances of it failing on someone or destroying their trans? I've seen a few blackstone analyses of it and people don't seem to report any unusual or high wear (although none specific to the 420g).

Comment

Ravenol was identified in many of the old threads as a suitable replacement and it is what I have been using for the last 5k miles without issue or complaint. I am in no way an expert just following what some of the more knowledgeable guys in this area identified.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Rabbit View Post

If I'm not mistaken, BMW specifies 75w90 API GL-4 fluid for the 420g in our cars, which is the same specs as the MT 90 mentioned in the original post

I don't want to seem like the redline defense force but there seems to be some weird stigma in BMW forums (m5board included) about redline. Are there any instances of it failing on someone or destroying their trans? I've seen a few blackstone analyses of it and people don't seem to report any unusual or high wear (although none specific to the 420g).
                      Spec is 75w80 GL4. The redline is 75w90 GL5.

All the options that meet the spec that I know of:
                      OE BMW MTF LT2
                      pentosin LT2
                      in Europe Castrol sells a fluid that meets spec. Not here.
                      ravenol fluid in the post above this.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

What is the concern with Redline ?
                        Have read info approving Redline D4 synthetic ATF for street.
                        Seems to hold up well.

2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                          Ravenol was identified in many of the old threads as a suitable replacement and it is what I have been using for the last 5k miles without issue or complaint. I am in no way an expert just following what some of the more knowledgeable guys in this area identified.
                          One thing Ravenol wouldn't do is divulge spces on their MTF-2 even with a phone call and e-mail request. Nor would Fuchs. They do, however, publish the specs for Ravenol SSG. Go figure.

Attached is a copy of synthetic manual transmission fluid specs for the ZF 5-speed (for those of us who've done a swap) and the Getrag 6-speed. Both the ZF and Getrag require a GL-4 fluid as the properties of most GL-5 fluids are not good for the "yellow metal" synchros.

I'm happy to e-mail anyone the Excel spreadsheet.

Feff

Click image for larger version  Name:	Transmission Fluids_Page_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	6721

Click image for larger version  Name:	Transmission Fluids_Page_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.4 KB ID:	6722
                          Last edited by Feffman; 04-04-2020, 04:37 PM.
                          MVP Track Time

Comment

Spec is 75w80 GL4. The redline is 75w90 GL5.

All the options that meet the spec that I know of:
                            OE BMW MTF LT2
                            pentosin LT2
                            in Europe Castrol sells a fluid that meets spec. Not here.
                            ravenol fluid in the post above this.
                            Well I have a bottle of GL5 75w90 which is differential fluid that I absolutely did not use. MT-90 is a GL4. That's why I threw it in for a temp replacement.
                            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

The Pentosin we're talking about is this, right?

Name:	open-uri20171120-8912-1hd6ffl.?1511212353.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	6819
                              Marketed as DCT fluid, but also meets MTF-LT-2?
                              Attached Files
                              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Working...
                              X