Transmission Fluid (oil thread part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
    The Pentosin we're talking about is this, right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	open-uri20171120-8912-1hd6ffl.?1511212353.jpg
Views:	1333
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	6819
    Marketed as DCT fluid, but also meets MTF-LT-2?
    No, the correct pentosin is discontinued at this point. NOT that one!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Whatever was in my car was nearly impossible to shift with when cold. Replacing it with Redline D4 ATF helped a lot but within 1000 miles or so the effects were minimized and cold shifting is a chore again. Still not as bad as whatever was in before. I will be trying the OE recommended MTF-2 next

Comment

The Pentosin we're talking about is this, right?
        The proper Pentosin fluid (photo below), which as Obioan noted, is no longer made, is MTF-2: http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_MTF-2.pdf

Feff

Click image for larger version  Name:	MTF-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	6828
        Last edited by Feffman; 04-06-2020, 01:40 AM.
        MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

No, the correct pentosin is discontinued at this point. NOT that one!
          Gotcha. I can still find it on RockAuto and other retailers, but I'm guessing once it's gone, it's gone? I'd hate to have to shell out for OEM fluid at that point.
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

FCP Euro also carries it.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/75w...mw-83222339219

2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Ouch, RockAuto has it for less than half that price.

Comment

Gotcha. I can still find it on RockAuto and other retailers, but I'm guessing once it's gone, it's gone? I'd hate to have to shell out for OEM fluid at that point.
                Yeah, the places still selling it are selling new old stock.

I bought too much and have been selling it for $10 per bottle plus shipping, if you're interested.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Yeah, the places still selling it are selling new old stock.

I bought too much and have been selling it for $10 per bottle plus shipping, if you're interested.
                  $10 per liter bottle? Damn, let me PM you!

Comment

I will try this and report back
                    Premium GL-4 middleweight oil for manual/SMG transmissions and some BMW transfer case applications.

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post
                      Not sure what you can meaningfully report. How much it degrades your syncros over the next 100,000 miles of running that fluid? gear wear?

Shift feel is generally down to thinner fluid feels better (and protects worse).... so that's not a particularly meaningful metric.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

75w80 GL4

Comment

Red Line makes fine products. Plenty suitable for street use, barring their explicitly labeled race products. I just haven't seen the point in any application I've owned, influenced, or been responsible for. There always seems to be another product that offers some combo of OE approval, big company provenance, and/or more longevity.

For what my E90M experience is worth: I've been running FFL-4 in my 6MT, which also originally specced MTF-LT-2, and it's been fine as far as I can tell -- though if I could get MTF-2 from FCP Euro, I'd probably do that as a matter of course.
                          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                          Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                          Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Not sure what you can meaningfully report. How much it degrades your syncros over the next 100,000 miles of running that fluid? gear wear?

Shift feel is generally down to thinner fluid feels better (and protects worse).... so that's not a particularly meaningful metric.
                            You know, I don’t think I saw the data sheet before I bought it, just went off bimmerworlds description of being the middle weight of D4 ATF and MTL, but it is actually lower viscosity than the D4 ATF. I will mix it 50:50 with MTL and should arrive at nearly the exact viscosity of the Pentosin MTF 2.

Comment

Why not use the real deal? ECS currently shows it on their website for sale. 🙄
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	C585B3C9-C617-41A4-A762-B24EEABE6117.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	90.5 KB ID:	7653

Comment

^ Does it still exist as a BMW part? In that case, I'd imagine FCP Euro should be able to get it, too.

Or does ECS just have a crapload of that stuff in stock from before?
                                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                                Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                                Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Working...
                                X