Transmission Fluid (oil thread part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Ravenol seems to be a good substitute for stock since the stock fluid is not as readily available as it used to be (Pentosin packaging).

From reading other posts, Redline doesn't last as long and requires frequent changes. Frequent changes are not an issue for track or race use and a parts supplier can stock the rafters with the it as it costs less than the OE stuff (or equivalent).
    I've said this based on my experiences with D4ATF and 75w-140. I ran into an issue with the rear diff acting funny and making groaning noises after a bunch of track events. Compared to people that run the OE fluid, they never run into this issue. Using D4ATF in the transmission...it definitely needs more frequent change intervals. The transmission becomes noticeably notchier and somewhat more difficult to get into gear without a perfect rev match.

Street use D4ATF probably would last 2 years...which would be a normal change interval in my mind. Probably not 30k miles though. Track stuff - it works. Street? Works if you like to do frequent fluid changes.

I'd really like to get the guts to try the FFL-4. I used a Motul GL5 in the original 6 speed that came with the car. 3rd gear went from finicky to outright unable to shift without some sort of grinding unless I did a perfect rev match. Not sure if the transmission was really closer to failure or the fluid melted an already questionable synchro...but it got really bad within a single weekend at the track after filling with a GL5...11 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      I'd really like to get the guts to try the FFL-4. I used a Motul GL5 in the original 6 speed that came with the car. 3rd gear went from finicky to outright unable to shift without some sort of grinding unless I did a perfect rev match.
      Motul now has a "100% synthetic" GL4 75w80 that supposedly meets LT2 specs
      MOTUL GEAR POWER 75W-80 Recommended for manual transmissions requiring SAE 75W-80 viscosity grade transmission oil.Particularly recommended f

I got it at Summit for $12/qt. I haven't put it in yet. I bought 6 quarts, I hope I like it
      Free Shipping - MOTUL 111133 with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Gear Oil at Summit Racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Ravenol seems to be a good substitute for stock since the stock fluid is not as readily available as it used to be (Pentosin packaging).

From reading other posts, Redline doesn't last as long and requires frequent changes. Frequent changes are not an issue for track or race use and a parts supplier can stock the rafters with the it as it costs less than the OE stuff (or equivalent).
        Yeah, like I mentioned I had no issue with the Ravenol mft-2 75w80, but if the Redline MT-LV would offer better protection for my high mileage trans that is seeing more track use these days then I’m down to switch and just change it more often if needed. But if there’s no data or evidence to point to that then I'm fine to flush and refill with the Ravenol again. Also seems the RL MT-LV is actually a 70w75 weight fluid, I’m not too versed in gear oil chemistry but since its thinner maybe it wont protect as well for track use, but also could have other composition or additives to? (Fwiw i run their RL 15w50 engine oil that while a lower weight has supposedly better shear strength vs a traditional 10w60)

Funny enough when i asked the Bimmerworld technical rep in chat about the MT-VL, which their own tech articles recommend for our cars, he actually said they recommend the D4… which I'm not a fan of when i had in my old 135i and reading through others’ posts in this thread doesn’t seem great at all for track use and needs even more frequent changing.
        2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
        Instagram
        Youtube

Comment

Motul masterrace
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I ended up buying the Redline MT-LV just to have as i want to do my fluid change soon before the sweltering summer track break, Amazon had them with Prime shipping for less than $50 for 2 bottles so pulled the trigger.

But like im sure happens to alot of us, i was in bed thinking about this more and went deeper looking into the technical specs of that, the Ravenol mtf-2 75w80 i was running, and that Motul Gear Power 75w80 GL-4 that was suggested above. I ended up buying 2 bottles of the Motul as well and figure ill try the motul first and just amazon return the redline worst case.

But digging deeper into the specs of the Motul it seems to be quite THICK, even compared to the Ravenol its nearly double the cold viscosity and even higher than Redline MTL, while the MT-LV is the thinnest viscosity wise (but makes sense as its a 70w75) which makes me wonder how good its protection is for track use. Im still going to try the Motul first, but seeing how thick it is especially cold im concerned ill have notchy hard shifts until warmed up, but maybe will be fine at track temps and potentially better protection? Specs attached for all 3: MT-LV, Motul, Ravenol

I can see myself ending up back to the Ravenol mtf-2 lol, only reason i didnt just re-up is that i couldnt find it anywhere cheap like last time (amazon had it with prime shipping before).
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BigRussia; 04-03-2024, 06:09 AM.
            2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
            Instagram
            Youtube

Comment

You're gonna be fine in south florida
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post

But digging deeper into the specs of the Motul it seems to be quite THICK, even compared to the Ravenol its nearly double the cold viscosity and even higher than Redline MTL, while the MT-LV is the thinnest viscosity wise (but makes sense as its a 70w75) which makes me wonder how good its protection is for track use. Im still going to try the Motul first, but seeing how thick it is especially cold im concerned ill have notchy hard shifts until warmed up, but maybe will be fine at track temps and potentially better protection? Specs attached for all 3: MT-LV, Motul, Ravenol
                Good catch! I checked the two other Motul 75w80 gear oils, and they also seem to be similar in thickness.

For track work, I think I prefer the increased thickness, but since you also drive on the street, it could grind when shifting at colder temps (edit: northern cold, probably not South Florida cold as Tbone pointed out haha)
                I'll put it in my car in a few weeks as well and see how it goes.

Comment

I have a stockpile of new old stock genuine MTF LT-2, I don't mind selling a couple jugs if anyone wants some!
                  IG: @limited.slip

Mystic Blue / M-cloth E46 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
                  A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶/̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶E̶4̶6̶ ̶3̶2̶5̶i̶ ̶T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶5̶4̶ ̶6̶M̶T̶
                  Imola Red / Alcantara / Cloth E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
                  Titanium Silver / Black E39 540i M-Sport
                  Touring S62 6MT
                  Alpine White / Black E90 M3 M3 S65 7DCT

Comment

Working...
                  X