Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Coyne @ Kassel Rod Bearing (UPDATE Miss-Installed Sprocket Tore into Oil Pan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to hear OP hope it all works out!

Comment

mcfreid glad to hear things are started to work out. Good luck with the engine tear down.

Comment

Good outcome OP. Hope it's all done without an issue and you're beast is back up and running soon!

Comment

My concern is there is a bypass around the oil filter not ALL goes through the filter all the time. If there's metal chunks in your filter theres metal in the rest of the engine...period.

Head has to come off, should be hot tanked. Not too much more work if you're replacing the mains. You could get away with blowing out the oil galleys in the block really well.

Shops make mistakes...let's just hope it is fixed right. But not sure how you put the sprocket on backwards. The chain won't line right.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfreid View Post
            Quick update: Matt has agreed to tare down the engine top to bottom, clean and inspect, and rebuild. Absolutely relieved. Will continue to update here. Thanks again everyone for the support!
            Very good news in these times :-) and I hope that things turn out well for you ...

Comment

Good to hear, that's what should have happened in the first place.
              BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Look forward to updates on the rebuild, sorry you had to spend all that time dealing with that. Keep us posted!

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

what ever came of this?

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

OP hasn't posted a message since Jan 2021. Like most, he only posts when he needs help, has a question, etc.
                      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I've been meaning to post an update on here for some time, but wanted to be as sure as I could that there wouldn't be any more surprises after this update. Still not quite at that level of confidence yet (I haven't sent in an oil analyses yet so I'll likely update once more after my next oil change). But I'm feeling pretty good at this point with the car.

The engine rebuild is complete and the car is sitting in my garage right now running strong. There were a few minor hiccups, power steering leaks and such, after the engine was rebuilt. A few revisits later and now the leaks seem resolved. I did one early oil change after 2-3k miles post rebuild and the oil looked clean. So far so good!

The next oil change will be in a couple thousand miles (for my own sanity), so I'll likely update here once I complete it and receive the oil analyses from blackstone.

It hasn't been an easy journey by any means, but I'm happy that it looks like things are resolved and I can put this all behind me. I'm not sure what the take away from this should be. If I were reading this thread, I suppose the takeaway I would have is to be hesitant letting anyone but yourself working on your car. Normally I would have followed that advice anyway, but at the time I was unable to find a single weekend to replace the rod bearings and was avoiding driving my car as a result. Looking back, I'm not sure what I can recommend to anyone to avoid situations like this.

FYI, just for full transparency, the check engine light did come on after driving the car around 1k miles post rebuild. The code was related to the o2 sensors. I'm guessing from running the engine after the rebuild, or just from age, they got contaminated. Not too big of a deal, and I'll be replacing the o2 sensors soon. I also briefly thought that car was burning oil since I seemed to be filling it up half a quart roughly every thousand miles. That may have been just from differences in measuring the oil (whether the car was warm or cold) and also from the oil leaks post rebuild that I mentioned earlier. But that also now seems to have gone away and the oil level is stable.
                        Last edited by mcfreid; 12-02-2021, 09:29 AM.
                        2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
                        2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

I’m glad to hear it all worked out. In my opinion the o2 sensor issue could be an isolated incident but cheap enough to replace. They also would’ve needed to get changed sooner or later anyway.

Comment

It sucks how hard you had to try to get Kassel to come through. Such a let down.

I'm glad its sorted but what a pia it must have been.

Comment

Ever since the debacle with my supercharged 330 blowing up engines…I’ve learned to do everything myself. On my track car, I’ve done all of the work except for installing the windshield and rear window. Includes roll cage, wire harness thinning, aero installation, engine replacement just to start a long list.

Not always feasible…and not always cheaper DIYing. You have to buy, borrow, or rent tools.

Every tech makes mistakes. With a profit motive, techs are moving faster and may not double check things. There is a cost to that as you found out. Knowledge is one thing. But the best techs also take pride in their work. They expect all of their work to be top notch.

The lesson learned? It is hard to find good skilled craftsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mcfreid View Post
                                I've been meaning to post an update on here for some time, but wanted to be as sure as I could that there wouldn't be any more surprises after this update. Still not quite at that level of confidence yet (I haven't sent in an oil analyses yet so I'll likely update once more after my next oil change). But I'm feeling pretty good at this point with the car.

The engine rebuild is complete and the car is sitting in my garage right now running strong. There were a few minor hiccups, power steering leaks and such, after the engine was rebuilt. A few revisits later and now the leaks seem resolved. I did one early oil change after 2-3k miles post rebuild and the oil looked clean. So far so good!

The next oil change will be in a couple thousand miles (for my own sanity), so I'll likely update here once I complete it and receive the oil analyses from blackstone.

It hasn't been an easy journey by any means, but I'm happy that it looks like things are resolved and I can put this all behind me. I'm not sure what the take away from this should be. If I were reading this thread, I suppose the takeaway I would have is to be hesitant letting anyone but yourself working on your car. Normally I would have followed that advice anyway, but at the time I was unable to find a single weekend to replace the rod bearings and was avoiding driving my car as a result. Looking back, I'm not sure what I can recommend to anyone to avoid situations like this.

FYI, just for full transparency, the check engine light did come on after driving the car around 1k miles post rebuild. The code was related to the o2 sensors. I'm guessing from running the engine after the rebuild, or just from age, they got contaminated. Not too big of a deal, and I'll be replacing the o2 sensors soon. I also briefly thought that car was burning oil since I seemed to be filling it up half a quart roughly every thousand miles. That may have been just from differences in measuring the oil (whether the car was warm or cold) and also from the oil leaks post rebuild that I mentioned earlier. But that also now seems to have gone away and the oil level is stable.

any updates since? Just seeing how the car is and overall experience with Kassel during the engine rebuilt and throughout

Comment

Working...
                                X