Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the priority items for Cooling System refresh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the priority items for Cooling System refresh?

2005 M3 with 75k. Mechanic said the radiator is still in very good shape but suggested new water pump, thermostat, hoses, and expansion tank, temp sensor. Anything other items recommended to change? I was looking at some of the refresh kits on ECS's site but not quite sure which one I should go with. Should I go all OE or OEM? Thanks.

Is your car overheating?

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
      Is your car overheating?
      No overheating. He said the coolant temp sensor is bad because yesterday when I started the car, the coolant gauge went to right over to the red. The red icon delineating overheating didn't illuminate however so turned car off and left it overnight thinking I would have it towed to mechanic. Started it this morning and allowed it to warm up and the is gauge back to the center reading normal temps. He came over and looked at it and said it might also be a good idea to change some of those other potential trouble items.

Comment

No need to replace rad or exp tank yet. Waterpump (and other parts) from fcpeuro so you can do it again for free in another 75K-100K. Wouldn't bother with the aux temp sensor other than the little green o-ring. New hoses, thermostat, gaskets, coolant ofc.

OEM rein hoses are good enough if you replace the orings with higher quality like member wolfn8tr sells here. I would only buy OE bmw waterpump, but oem brands like modine and behr are good for rad/tstat
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Like Tbone said I would leave the radiator alone. I would address other "while youre in the items" though.

Comment

Don’t forget these Hi-Temp Orings. They also add about 3 HP...😎

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
            Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
            Evolve Eventuri
            - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Yeah everything tbone said. Get the rein hoses and wolfn8tr's o rings to save a good amount and have upgraded o rings installed.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Thanks so much everyone. Wolf, I’ll send you a PM.

Comment

+4 On WOLFN8TR High temp o-rings. When I first got the car my lower radiator hose temp sensor was welded in there with the strength of a 1000 Gods. I had to drill through the sides with a right angle drill and fashion a custom puller to get it out with all of my weight. It is also in a fairly inaccessible place unless you want to start taking more and more things off. Why didn't I take the lower radiator hose off and deal with it outside the car? It too was heat welded to the radiator. I would consider the ring's essential to a coolant system overhaul. Sounds like you are going in the right direction. Good luck.
                  2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                  [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

I would blow through the radiator fins from the back with a hose to get all the bugs, leaves, feathers, rocks, etc out of there to restore some cooling efficiency. Prob want to remove the radiator before doing that so that all that crud doesn't go onto the condenser. Can similarly blow out the condenser and oil cooler.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ViN View Post
                      Thanks so much everyone. Wolf, I’ll send you a PM.
                      FYI you can also buy them on eBay.

Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Agreed, radiator and expansion tank should be fine. However I like to suggest the temp sensors since it's really such an inexpensive part (oem) but causes headaches if reads incorrectly. Another item to at the very least inspect is that stupid plastic flared-nut hose that runs from radiator port to the expansion tank. They make some aftermarket upgrades but otherwise you're stuck in BMW's pocket in a pinch. Part number #9 here.
                        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Evolve Eventuri

Comment

I have an ECS exact fit water pipe referenced above and ECS silicone radiator hoses that I will cut you a great deal on if you are interested. They are just taking up space for me right now. Let me know if you are interested.

Clarify: The ECS kit comes with the stock plastic connectors, not the sweet metal one pictured above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Fresh1179; 11-24-2020, 05:57 AM.
                            2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                            [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

That's pretty neat. Does it help, or is it just a cheaper solution to the pre-bent plastic pipe from BMW?

Comment

Working...
                              X