Power Steering Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering Fluid

Great DIY write up in the pinned post! I just have found a ton of conflicting information on what fluid to use for the e46 m3. Turners / ECS kits have CHF power steering fluid or redline power steering fluid but some forums say DO NOT USE CHF. ATF Dex 3 or better seems to be the other popular opinion. If someone smarter than me could shed some light, much appreciated.

The factory oil for the M3 was a DEXRON-III ATF, however this specification was discontinued in 2011. DEXRON-VI is backwards compatible and I've been using it in my car with good results. You will need one quart.

Comment

If you replace the reservoir as part of the refresh or you simply want to replace the filter (which you cant because it's built into the reservoir), the new OE BMW reservoir cap is stamped to use CHF. I've been running CHF for about 20k miles.

I know this doesn't help .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

There is no filter, the white disc is a baffle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Trusty old Mobil-1 ATF has worked like a charm. A friend suggested I zip tie a "diaper" (oil soaking material from a parts store) around the top of the power steering reservoir. This too works well.

Feff
          MVP Track Time

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. Seems like ATF 4 for a fluid top off and when I replace reservoir / flush the whole system CHF if fine to run.

Do we have a consensus? haha

Comment

Yes. I use the Castrol multi ATF/Dexron or redline D4ATF.

Comment

Figured I'd throw my 2-cents in here too. Just refreshed mine while doing a rod bearing job. Used Valvoline Maxlife ATF, as it's a full-synthetic DEX3/4 compatible ATF. Castrol multi ATF and Redline D4ATF that bidjae46 are also very good choices. Really, just about any Dex3 compatible ATF is fine in there.

Comment

The PS cap says CHF because BMW has one part numbers for all cars. Factory fill through E46 was ATF, E90 started using CHF. I believe there’s a sticker that goes on top of the cap that says ATF.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
                    Trusty old Mobil-1 ATF has worked like a charm. A friend suggested I zip tie a "diaper" (oil soaking material from a parts store) around the top of the power steering reservoir. This too works well.

Feff
                    You could also make a catch can that attaches to the vent of the reservoir cap, like so

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                      The PS cap says CHF because BMW has one part numbers for all cars. Factory fill through E46 was ATF, E90 started using CHF. I believe there’s a sticker that goes on top of the cap that says ATF.
                      There is CHF11 and CHF11S. They are not interchangeable. E9X used CHF11S.

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post

You could also make a catch can that attaches to the vent of the reservoir cap, like so
                        Or just replace the cap/o-ring.
                        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

Or just replace the cap/o-ring.
                          That's not the problem. My o-ring is new, at the track the fluid comes out of the vent hole in the cap.

Comment

That's not the problem. My o-ring is new, at the track the fluid comes out of the vent hole in the cap.
                            I usually wrap a paper shop towel around the cap and zip tie it, it keeps everything clean.

Comment

Your fluid is just too hot then.
                              BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Working...
                              X