Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Blackstone thread (High copper, low lead)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antknee View Post
    its def gonna get done in the spring when it comes out of hibernation
    obioban, tbone, sapote...some of the most long-standard and knowledgeable members here and from the previous M3Forum. I learn from them, and as you can tell, all have said the same thing...park the car / drive as little as possible before you do the bearings. One of those bearings spins and you're likely looking for a replacement engine or parting out the car.

I used early days of covid to put the car up on jacks for a week, take my time, and do a handful of other things while it was up (since you likely have the front subframe dropped, perfect time to do engine mounts, front control arms, etc.) There was a rod-bearings "while you're in there" thread earlier this year (2020) that is worth reading. Several things that cost virtually no extra time in labor, and will set you up for another 50k/100k miles without touching those components again.

Comment

Does anyone know if changing oil viscosity during winter time is a must ?! Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewrivera View Post
        Does anyone know if changing oil viscosity during winter time is a must ?! Thanks in advance.
        Definitely not an absolute must. I've run 10W60 year round since I've owned the car (previous owner did too, so 12+ years). Car regularly saw starts below freezing when in Colorado. Car would see starts at temps closer to 5°F or so multiple times a year. My rod bearings looked perfect when I swapped them (had about 80k mi on them).

Now, should you change the oil viscosity in the winter is a completely different question. I never bothered, but I'm sure there will be a ton of different opinions on this.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Well I haven't changed viscosity yet, and I didn't know if I should or not ... I'll start another thread, can't take over this one. 😂. Antknee, get those bearings bro. Lol. Even though the numbers don't look too bad. Except for that copper.
          Last edited by Drewrivera; 12-01-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X