No announcement yet.

Warm up time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take the oil out, put it in oven set to 200F and pour it back in and off to 8k RPM instantly

Comment

it has been decided: it鈥檚 best to drive right away! 馃槀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
        Take the oil out, put it in oven set to 200F and pour it back in and off to 8k RPM instantly
        Now THIS is the sort of innovation I expect from this community!
        E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4鈥檚, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Nope
          馃ぃ Are you trolling
          IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post

馃ぃ Are you trolling
            Nah, I don't believe our pistons are forged, I have never heard piston noise on our engines like a POS GM V8 slapping pistons around and idling is not recommended in the owners manual. Unless your engine is not stock, then you can decide your own warm up .

Comment

Yep, I start up and drive off immediately, keeping it under 3-3.5k until oil temp is fully warmed up.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
              2003 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Nah, I don't believe our pistons are forged, I have never heard piston noise on our engines like a POS GM V8 slapping pistons around and idling is not recommended in the owners manual. Unless your engine is not stock, then you can decide your own warm up .
                You鈥檙e correct, stock pistons are cast. Mine are forged and have a little extra room because I run just under 30 psi on stock compression.

IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

I normally wait long enough for the secondary air pump to shut off (45 sec-1 minute?) if you observe the ignition timing for warmup/emissions it starts near 0 advance (you can hear some interesting combustion sounds in the during the first few seconds from the late ignition timing) and ramps up slowly to the base timing.

Once the SAP shuts off thats my cue. Nothing magical about it but its at least enough time to get the cats warmed up and an easy and consistent marker to work with

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                    Pro tip: Bake oil in teflon coated pans and some of the teflon will leech into the oil and win you some bonus lube

Comment

Agree with beefaroni to the letter.
                      2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

I know many of you guys are saying drive off immediately but do you not wait for the revs to drop from the cold start before pulling off?
                        2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by MTiz View Post
                          I know many of you guys are saying drive off immediately but do you not wait for the revs to drop from the cold start before pulling off?
                          I do that. I think beefaroni is pointing to the same with the secondary air pump

Comment

All cold start is doing is adding air to the exhaust to lean it out to get hotter (post-combustion, not like your engine burning lean). You should just drive, cold start or not.
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 DCT Slicktop Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 Coupe 6spd Slicktop zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                              All cold start is doing is adding air to the exhaust to lean it out to get hotter (post-combustion, not like your engine burning lean). You should just drive, cold start or not.
                              I mostly do it cuz im ignorant on this and i like to stay on the side of caution. But if youre right thats what i should do tho

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                                On the secondary injection pump sure, but the motor itself runs rich when in cold start (open loop)

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X