Warm up time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm up time

How long do you guys usually warm up your car before you drive? I feel like I hear mixed opinions where some guys let their cars fully warm up before driving and some who just keep it under 3k until it’s fully warmed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll let it warm up for enough to drop one or two warm up lights and keep it under 3k until fully warmed up. If I know I'll going somewhere with it and its been sitting cold (like now 35°) I'll give it some more time.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Bmw states not to let the cars idle excessively

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Drive it off right away. The thick oil and low pressure of the mechanical pump at idle are not friendly, so keep the revs low and drive, as BMW wants you to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Yeah drive off straight away. Then keep under 3k until fully warmed up.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I let it idle for 10 seconds, then drive it. It’s been proven that letting it idle to warm up causes more wear than driving it instantly. This is because it takes the oil so much longer to warm up by idling than if you drove the car.

Comment

I don't. Maybe 30 seconds to get my phone synced up but thats it.
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

i wait about 30 seconds then drive under 3k rpm until nice and toasty. I go by the oil temp instead of the coolant.
                Last edited by yhp2009; 12-06-2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Immediately to about 2.5-3k for about 5 mins.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

The forged pistons in the engine make a bit of noise until they reach operating temperature. I try to give it almost a minute of idle then drive really gently until the lights disappear from the tachometer.
                    IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
                      The forged pistons in the engine make a bit of noise until they reach operating temperature. I try to give it almost a minute of idle then drive really gently until the lights disappear from the tachometer.
                      Nope

Comment

Drive immediately and just follow the warm up lights.
                        E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

I get situated for about a minute then follow the warm up lights and temp guages before I rev past around 3k.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
                          Build///Journal
                          IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

Follow the warm-up lights and read what your manual says on the subject.

Comment

Regardless if you warm up for 1 min or 10 min, you need to drive carefully initially because the rest of the drivetrain is cold.

Comment

Working...
                              X