Warm up time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
    Water and glycol transmit heat faster and better than oil, so "coolant" warms up faster. There is a way to manually adjust the degrees at which each of the orange segment lights goes off via Martyn's tool.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Of course. Back when this forum started IIRC in 2003, the general consensus was to do what I described and it made perfect sense to me. I treated it as gospel and still do...original bearings and all (well, besides the two SA replacements).

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post

Of course. Back when this forum started IIRC in 2003, the general consensus was to do what I described and it made perfect sense to me. I treated it as gospel and still do...original bearings and all (well, besides the two SA replacements).
      Yeah I used to watch the oil dot like you described, but then used the tool to get the lights more in sync. The lights are there to tell me that it's good to start ripping, so seemed off that the dot below didn't reach the desired temp yet.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
        Side note for fun, tranny input shaft is spinning and warming up as the engine idles, so the only thing that is not getting warmed up is the diff without driving.

It does not warm up enough from no-load rotation to really make any difference. Even the engine oil takes forever to warm up while idling.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavlo View Post

It does not warm up enough from no-load rotation to really make any difference. Even the engine oil takes forever to warm up while idling.
          Yes it'll take hours, like I said, fun side note.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Found this on the e46 m3 FB group

Comment

Working...
            X