Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    He can try a 3mm or 5mm spacer.
    You're not understanding his fitment issue. If the tire is too tall on a square setup, it will rub the front/rear fender liners at close to full lock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BMW_Style_67_M_Double_Spoke.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	132445
    Last edited by Slideways; 10-18-2021, 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Slideways is correct here. On a 9.5 on the front (depending on offset) you are limited by diameter. I run a 255/40 on 9.5et22 which has the same diameter as 265/35/19 due to availability of PS4Ss when I got the wheels, I get scrubbing on liners at full lock. Not really anything to be done alignment wise. Tyre is just too tall for that width on the front. Even though it's the stock tyre size on the rear, the wheel wells on the front were never designed around that diameter on the front with that wide of a wheel.

Comment

Here is a photo that I made some days ago and yes with 255/35 i got rubbing but more due the width of the tire not only diameter, on full look right and left, but only on the edge of the tire. 2-3mm less on the edge and it would clear
        So i think a 245/35 or at least a 235/35 will clear this, because it‘s more stretched on the edges.

Maybe for someone else wants to try this, it‘s good to know..
        …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
          but more due the width of the tire not only diameter
          Not really, since a 265/30/19 fits. The width of the tyre is not the limiting factor. It his the height of the sidewall, I.E the total diameter of the wheel+tyre when combined with that width wheel. Obviously if it was an 8.5J it would fit.

265/30/19 has about 45mm smaller diameter than 255/35/19. Not much point running a square set if you run 245 or 235 on the front, kind of defeats the purpose.
          Last edited by Thoglan; 10-18-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

^ Agreed. Also running a 235 or 245 on a 9.5" wheel is not a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
              You're not understanding his fitment issue. If the tire is too tall on a square setup, it will rub the front/rear fender liners at close to full lock.
              How can a stock tire size be "too tall"?

Usually, we see someone complaining and it turns out they're running a profile higher than appropriate, like 265/35/19 (instead of 265/30/19), but 255/35/19 IS a stock size.

A stock front 18" with 225/45/18 or stock 19" 225/40/19 is the same height as 255/35/19 (stock 19s). So obviously width/offset is playing a role, not just height no?
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

How can a stock tire size be "too tall"?

Usually, we see someone complaining and it turns out they're running a profile higher than appropriate, like 265/35/19 (instead of 265/30/19), but 255/35/19 IS a stock size.

A stock front 18" with 225/45/18 is the same height as 255/35/19. So obviously width/offset is playing a role, not just height no?
                He was asking about his square 9.5 setup specifically, so running the rear wheel with stock spec tire up front will not work. The wheel width is not an issue if the tire is the correct size for a 9.5" ET27 setup.
                Last edited by Slideways; 10-18-2021, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Again, a 255/35/19 IS the correct size for the stock 9.5" wheel (the ZCP and stock double spoke 19s)

Front wheel, rear wheel doesn't matter. They're only different in width and offset, not height or circumference.

So the issue HAS to be width. And dropping your tire down to 265/30/19 (which will throw DCS off) is a band aid solution. You're trading rubbing for traction control issues and inflated speedo error. I'm not against it - I run smaller sizes too (235/265).

Something not mentioned yet - maybe his ride height is just too low?
                  Last edited by Tbonem3; 10-18-2021, 03:15 PM.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Remove or trim the fender liners. Raise ride height. More negative camber.
                    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Tbonem3 It is the correct size for the rear. Front and rear wheel does matter because the clearance in the wheel well is different and the front wheels have to turn. What fits on the rear stock doesn't necessarily fit on the front. Can't size your tyres based off that. Although that is the stock diameter, the stock front tyre size is not 255/35/19. With a narrower wheel, the face sits further inward and there is more clearance for a taller sidewall. When running square the wider wheel in the front means that the stock diameter does not work because you no longer have the clearance on the shoulder of the tyre at full lock. They simply do not fit. The proper solution, and what slideways is suggesting I believe is to run 265/30/19 all round, because yes circumference has to be the same. Ride height does not play into it much because of where the wheel fouls the liner.
                      Probably much easier to understand with a video of what's going on.
                      Last edited by Thoglan; 10-18-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                        Remove or trim the fender liners. Raise ride height. More negative camber.
                        Camber does not effect clearance at the liner because it does not change the position of the centre line of the wheel (where it's widest relative to the liner and where the contact occurs). Similarly ride height won't help much, IIRC mine rubs at full lock even at full droop. The position of where the contact occurs also means trimming the liner isn't really an option, it's not contacting an edge it contacts the large flat portion of the plastic. Removing them might work but is not an ideal solution obviously. If it's gonna rub anywhere, the face of the plastic liner is not a bad place. I'll live with it until it's time to get new tyres.

Comment

Just trim a little window in the liner around the area where it makes contact.
                          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Again, a 255/35/19 IS the correct size for the stock 9.5" wheel (the ZCP and stock double spoke 19s)

Front wheel, rear wheel doesn't matter. They're only different in width and offset, not height or circumference.

So the issue HAS to be width. And dropping your tire down to 265/30/19 (which will throw DCS off) is a band aid solution. You're trading rubbing for traction control issues and inflated speedo error. I'm not against it - I run smaller sizes too (235/265).

Something not mentioned yet - maybe his ride height is just too low?
                            Once again, it is not the correct size for the square setup he is going for and fitment for the front on a lowered car. We don't want stock rear ZCP tire fitment for a square rear ZCP setup, so I don't know why you keep stating stock fitment. It is not helpful in his case. He doesn't want to wear holes in the liners, so the diameter of the tire has to change cause the wheel and suspension are not (going back to stock). Going from a 255/35/19 to a 265/30/19 increases width, but the 255 rubs and the 265 does not. Width is not the issue.

Reread the tire fitment thread. One of the common 9.5 square setups is a 265/35/18. That is a dropped down tire size and quite a few of people run it for street and track. For a 9.5 square 19, it is the same idea, but 265/30/19 instead because of the wheel diameter change. Speedo error between the 265/35/18 and 265/30/19 is 0.17%, so it is not a considerable amount. The overall diameter for both is ~642mm and it won't rub the liners.

The focus here is a square ZCP rear wheel setup on a lowered car.
                            Last edited by Slideways; 10-18-2021, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X