Solid Mount Short Shifters: CAE / IRP / RTD / AAF / Coolerworx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
    I really wish someone would make a shifter like these that looks completely stock. I understand that there's dimensional constraints, but I just really dislike how tall these are (even the short ones).
    Was about to post the same thing. I couldn't deal with a 2' lever on a Dd. Wonder why there isn't a short version. Ugh, just thinking about that snick snick feeling has me itching for a manual...

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Was about to post the same thing. I couldn't deal with a 2' lever on a Dd. Wonder why there isn't a short version. Ugh, just thinking about that snick snick feeling has me itching for a manual...
      Coolerworx “non-pro” and RTD mini are 11.8” tall from the tunnel...there are also more traditional short shifters from brands like UUC and BW that I left off of this list as they are what I’d consider a different type of short shifter. The AAF one also appears to go shorter, although I don’t know how much.

Comment

Can someone confirm if the Coolerworx "non-pro' comes with the self centering spring? That might be the deciding factor for those looking into a manual conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by staylurking View Post
          Can someone confirm if the Coolerworx "non-pro' comes with the self centering spring? That might be the deciding factor for those looking into a manual conversion.
          based on the images, I would say it doesn't have that spring.

Comment

also just as a datapoint. I tried purchasing a RTD shifter yesterday and the CC system on the site isn't working. Tried emailing and contacting through FB and haven't received a reply. Not sure if the pandemic has the business on pause?

Comment

Does anyone with experience using a CAE also have experience with the AKG shifter? Out of curiosity.
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by jareds941 View Post

Coolerworx “non-pro” and RTD mini are 11.8” tall from the tunnel...there are also more traditional short shifters from brands like UUC and BW that I left off of this list as they are what I’d consider a different type of short shifter. The AAF one also appears to go shorter, although I don’t know how much.
                The coolerworx short shifter does look better (still prefer a slightly less tuner look), I don't see a UUC self centering option though. With how sloppy the OEM shifters feel I guess I'd want one of these anyway. Has anyone done a direct comparison to this and the UUC kit?

Comment

also just as a datapoint. I tried purchasing a RTD shifter yesterday and the CC system on the site isn't working. Tried emailing and contacting through FB and haven't received a reply. Not sure if the pandemic has the business on pause?
                  Message them on IG. Seemed to work for me when I ordered it.

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post

The RTD has a self-centering spring, it definitely has a nice "pop" into certain gears, but it also looks kinda weird in each gear. First off, at least in my vehicle, neutral was canted waaaaay over to the right, so 1st gear looked like you were in third and 5th was somewhere in the ocean. 6th gear was really hard to get in to. I had a second shop try to adjust it, and the most slightest of loosening the 4 bolts and tightening them back down made 5th and 6th slightly better, but it didn't feel great. Also, when you put it into any gear, it still has a lot of motion left and right. You pop it into first and it has the tendency to "flop".

CAE, I've had 3 prior to this one, so I knew it was a no brainer that it would be great. I was reluctant to cut my center console, but after the bit of time with the RTD, the CAE was going to be the inevitable install.
                    my RTD has none of the “flop” you’re referring to. was the selector rod joint replaced on the car you had the RTD on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post

my RTD has none of the “flop” you’re referring to. was the selector rod joint replaced on the car you had the RTD on?

DSSR specific on RTD and CAE respectively.

Comment

Selector rod joint is separate from the DSSR isn’t it? Ideally both would be new.
                        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                          Does anyone with experience using a CAE also have experience with the AKG shifter? Out of curiosity.
                          I haven't driven anything with a CAE shifter yet but I have the AKG in my car. I'm surprised the AKG hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. Mine was a little notchy when first installed but after using it for a while it smoothed right in. I love the added precision and positive engagement. It is confidence inspiring at the track and I don't mind daily driving with it. I would assume the CAE is smoother but I have no first-hand experience. I'll try and get a friend to let me try their's and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                            Selector rod joint is separate from the DSSR isn’t it? Ideally both would be new.
                            it is separate and an old selector rod joint creates a lot of the side to side flop many refer to. a new rod joint and dssr paired with an rtd creates an almost no slip shifter

Comment

It does not, only the pro does.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I have both a RTD (the one with the smaller base and no lockout) and a CAE and end result is about the same once adjusted properly. RTD fits with no modifications, but leaves the hole in the tunnel open (have not looked at solutions for this since I don't care on the car it's on). The CAE comes with a kit to close it up.

For a street car with semi frequent use I dislike both of them, the high shifting effort is just annoying. Wish there was a solution with the same precision but smoother\lower shifting effort and a shorter lever. Shortening the lever as it is doesn't work as then the effort required just gets stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X