Solid Mount Short Shifters: CAE / IRP / RTD / AAF / Coolerworx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid Mount Short Shifters: CAE / IRP / RTD / AAF / Coolerworx

I'm looking at getting a shifter for my dedicated track car and am interested in any experiences / feedback on the various options from this group. There are several "similar" options, at a variety fo price points, ranging from $400-1200+. I've listed them below, with links, pics and any info I've been able to gather from various internet searches. The point of this thread is to hopefully gather more feedback from the community and maybe have this turn into a resource for others researching the same thing. Below is NOT comprehensive with regards to details and pros/cons. I know I'm missing things...thus this thread to get info from others to help inform my decision. I'll update this post as appropriate.

From highest price point to lowest:

AAF (Advanced Auto Fab) - $1260+ shipped
    Up to 20" tall (adjustable)
    8lbs
    +More adjustability than any other brand, in basically every direction
    +Comes with adjustable shift shaft...which really makes it within $100 of a CAE with their version
    +No interior trim cutting necessary
    +Very solid mounting plate, custom to chassis
    -Most expensive I've come across
    :No reverse lockout button...but a high amount of force needed to get to R

CAE - $980+
    15.7" tall
    ~2.3lbs
    +nearly universal praise for the build quality and shifting experience
    +Reverse lockout button
    -have to trim interior
    -while not the most expensive, it's right there
    -add another $200 for adjustable shift shaft

Coolerworx Pro - $585+ shipped
    ~14.6" Tall
    unknown weight
    + $125 direct fit kit available for easier/more solid installation, customized to chassis
    +positive reviews found online re: performance and construction
    +Reverse lockout button
    +no / minor interior trimming necessary
    -only available direct from Europe it appears

IRP v3 self-centering - $571+ shipped
    12.75" tall
    ~2lbs
    +less expensive
    +first hand recommendations from a few local to me
    +clean Reverse lockout button integration
    -mounting bracket is a known failure point
    -shorter than others

RTD v3 Race - $475+ shipped (shift shaft not included)
    13.8" Tall
    ~3.3lbs
    +least expensive
    +no drilling or interior trimming
    -seems to only be available directly, and service has been questionable based on some posts over the years
    -overall quality has been questioned on some reviews I've come across

i have the RTD race and I love it.. well worth the money..

Nice write up though, thanks for the comparison.
    Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

I have the RTD v2 mini with the shift rod and I’m very happy with it. I’ve never observed any issues with the quality of the one in my car.
      IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Went from RTD to CAE. Worth the transition.

Comment

I've only shifted the AAF and IRP shifters in person. AAF felt super solid but based on the reviews of the CAE, seems like they give you the same end result but the AAF is pricier. AAF is semi-local to me though.

IRP felt fine, but I'd say you get what you pay for.
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I have the CAE and it reminds me of an extremely high quality bolt-action rifle the way it shifts. I can't speak to the others but when I sat in a friend's car with the CAE, prior to installation in my car, I went home and ordered it immediately.

Feff
            MVP Track Time

Comment

Do you guys with CAE shifters used stock shifter rod or CAE adjustable rod. I've read it makes a difference.

Comment

I really wish someone would make a shifter like these that looks completely stock. I understand that there's dimensional constraints, but I just really dislike how tall these are (even the short ones).
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                  I really wish someone would make a shifter like these that looks completely stock. I understand that there's dimensional constraints, but I just really dislike how tall these are (even the short ones).
                  I might be wrong, but it feels like you kind of need the leverage from the long lever.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I ordered a Coolerworx Pro (will install in the next month, dealing with smog and few other things at the moment). From what I heard from folks who have run CAE/RTD and the Coolerworx one, Coolerworx is closer to quality of a CAE for the price of an RTD. I got the direct fit plate, so hopefully that will simplify the installation. They are in Europe, but shipping was pretty fast. It has lockouts for R/5/6.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                      I might be wrong, but it feels like you kind of need the leverage from the long lever.
                      Yeah probably, but I'd be willing to sacrifice some of the super short shiftedness for a smaller lever.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I have the RTD V1. I love it and couldn’t imagine going back to stock. Street driven only.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
                          Do you guys with CAE shifters used stock shifter rod or CAE adjustable rod. I've read it makes a difference.
                          Initially, the stock rod but I switched to the CAE adjustable rod when I switched from the Getrag 6-speed to ZF 5-speed.

Feff
                          MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post
                            Went from RTD to CAE. Worth the transition.
                            can you explain a little more.. What's the major differences? What did you notice?
                            Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post

can you explain a little more.. What's the major differences? What did you notice?
                              The RTD has a self-centering spring, it definitely has a nice "pop" into certain gears, but it also looks kinda weird in each gear. First off, at least in my vehicle, neutral was canted waaaaay over to the right, so 1st gear looked like you were in third and 5th was somewhere in the ocean. 6th gear was really hard to get in to. I had a second shop try to adjust it, and the most slightest of loosening the 4 bolts and tightening them back down made 5th and 6th slightly better, but it didn't feel great. Also, when you put it into any gear, it still has a lot of motion left and right. You pop it into first and it has the tendency to "flop".

CAE, I've had 3 prior to this one, so I knew it was a no brainer that it would be great. I was reluctant to cut my center console, but after the bit of time with the RTD, the CAE was going to be the inevitable install.

Comment

Working...
                              X