Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late build date bumper retrofit onto early build date car - body shop having issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late build date bumper retrofit onto early build date car - body shop having issues

Hey guys, so my car is an early build date with the metal bumper carrier. The body shop accidentally ordered a late build date bumper cover, in spite of me going over the fact that they are different, and giving them the right part number for the early Euro bumper cover. Anyway long story short, they painted the one they got before they realized the issue, and they subsequently got the kevlar carrier for it, but apparently they can not get the windshield washer fluid bottle to fit. I told them that piece is also different between early and late cars, and I sent them this:

They said it still won't fit and I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here? Are there other parts that need to be used to make this whole setup fit? They got 4 bottles apparently and I'm kind of flying blind here because I think the first one is correct...?

Message from the shop:

"Please see the below part number. I will get you a picture when it stops raining so hard

Washer reservoir
    61 67 7 895 571
    61 66 7 007 970
    61 67 7 892 702
    61 67 7 892 700

Bumper
    51 11 7 894 989

Kevlar Reinforcement
    51 11 7 893 527

Let me know if you have any questions."

They did not send me any photos of the issue today (shocker) but I don't want to wait around much longer. They've had my car since first week of October... I'm annoyed because if they had paid attention and read my email months ago, they would have bought the right bumper cover to begin with. I definitely did not want to go down this road but it's where we are at, so any info would be greatly appreciated! Here's a picture of the car before it got hit and run TWICE.

Any my E36 which I've been driving a lot more lately since my friggin' rental car allowance is long gone LOL.

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

61 67 7 895 571 is the reservoir is for cars without headlight washers.
    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I can't help, but your two cars are beautiful. That e36 🤤
      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
        61 67 7 895 571 is the reservoir is for cars without headlight washers.
        Thanks, that's what I thought and that's why I'm confused by the issue...
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
          I can't help, but your two cars are beautiful. That e36 🤤
          Thank you kind sir! Just rolled over 150k miles yesterday.
          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

They need to eat the cost and order the right part for your car. I think there was a full conversion on the old site. I cant recall, but besides the resovoir, there were different mounts and hardware needed to make it work. Iirc it was a pain in the ass.

Your the one paying the price now without a rental.

Comment

I upgraded to a facelift euro bumper on my 2001. I forget what was necessary and what was replaced due to damage. I replaced the reservoir, the horns (came with my carrier), the thin metal brackets that connect between the brake air ducts and the plastic surrounding/below the radiator. I think I replaced the air ducts themselves as well. The front wiring harness was slightly longer on the facelift. I swapped it out too but I seem to recall the shorter one should be able to fit by cutting some corners.

The most difficult part of the process was that the bumper cover didn’t fit properly. Eventually had to cut off some tabs on the inside of the cover in order for it to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Shadytype View Post
                They need to eat the cost and order the right part for your car. I think there was a full conversion on the old site. I cant recall, but besides the resovoir, there were different mounts and hardware needed to make it work. Iirc it was a pain in the ass.

Your the one paying the price now without a rental.
                Thanks, they have been good about the cost since they know it was their mistake. I gotta get on the phone with them again Monday and see if I can come down there and look at it myself, try to really figure out the issues. I definitely did not want to do this conversion to begin with because I figured it would be difficult like this...
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by dutchhome View Post
                  I upgraded to a facelift euro bumper on my 2001. I forget what was necessary and what was replaced due to damage. I replaced the reservoir, the horns (came with my carrier), the thin metal brackets that connect between the brake air ducts and the plastic surrounding/below the radiator. I think I replaced the air ducts themselves as well. The front wiring harness was slightly longer on the facelift. I swapped it out too but I seem to recall the shorter one should be able to fit by cutting some corners.

The most difficult part of the process was that the bumper cover didn’t fit properly. Eventually had to cut off some tabs on the inside of the cover in order for it to fit.

So, did you end up ever getting the bumper cover to fit right? You did this with the kevlar carrier, right? Honestly I guess I don't care if I have to cut some tabs or whatever. As long as the bumper doesn't sage or sit wrong. But the wiring and all the other little stuff makes me think it might plausibly be cheaper for them to just buy the old style bumper and paint it, and mount it with all my existing parts.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know if the old style Euro bumper is available from any vendors in stock here in the US? It's hard to get stuff from overseas right now for obvious reasons...

PANEL, BUMPER, PRIMED, FRONT M3 - 51112695241, 51 11 2 695 241, 2695241, 51-11-2-695-241

And BTW if anyone has the write up from the old M3 forum that would be suuuuuper helpful!
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Yes, in the end the bumper fits perfectly. When I ordered my euro bumper I tried to get a prefacelift version but was unable to find one. That’s what sent me down the path to convert to the Kevlar carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchhome View Post
                      Yes, in the end the bumper fits perfectly. When I ordered my euro bumper I tried to get a prefacelift version but was unable to find one. That’s what sent me down the path to convert to the Kevlar carrier.

Great to hear, thanks man.

I will have a talk with the shop tomorrow and pass on all the info in here. Thank you guys!
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Hey I know this isn’t any help. But you mind sharing the part number euro bumper for the early model cars with the alum carrier?

Comment

Just go to realoem and enter specs for an early euro m3 and look for the front bumper. Should be easy to track down.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by selm3 View Post
                            Hey I know this isn’t any help. But you mind sharing the part number euro bumper for the early model cars with the alum carrier?
                            Yup for sure:

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...1-11-2-695-241

I dunno if it's in stock or able to be shipped quickly considering COVID... Schmiedmann is pretty good about responding to emails though, I'm dealing with them regarding another order (red Motorsport belts for my e36) right now and they have been very responsive. There might be some vendors who have them here in the states if you have the time to call around and ask. Might be worth a call to BMW South Atlanta, the parts guys there are usually pretty helpful. And of course always call BimmerWorld before buying anything, they can often times get stuff that's not on the site and those guys are all extremely helpful and cool.

Still waiting to hear back from the shop about the issue. Trying to be patient here lol...

Side note, copped a nice set of staggered 19" AC Schnitzer Type 3s yesterday. Got a great price on the wheels I'd been hunting for a long time and they're pretty clean to boot!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Nate047; 01-05-2021, 05:01 PM.
                            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                              Side note, copped a nice set of staggered 19" AC Schnitzer Type 3s yesterday. Got a great price on the wheels I'd been hunting for a long time and they're pretty clean to boot!
                              Awesome. Those wheels are on my top 5 list all time. Still looking for a nice 2 piece set.

Comment

Working...
                              X