5 Mods you loved / 5 Mods you didn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jareds941 View Post

I'm attempting to install the Hard door panels now. Man, that is not a very well made product. the "holes" don't line up to anything on my car...I'm going with nutserts but it's proving to be very time consuming and furstrating...all for a mod that serves little "purpose" other than making my track car look a little less ghetto. Can't even imagine trying to make the CF version fit knowing what I've had to do thus far.
    Do you have glass windows rolled down while you drive on track?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

Why do you guys dislike the 4.10's?
      Lol, same reason others love them. There is no "kinda" like them or any in between. They seem a love/hate thing.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
        I haven’t done anything I didn’t love... chalk that up to due diligence and the car being well thought and well bought...

Loved:
        1) Dynavin head unit (original & N7 Pro)... best solution for pixelation on the screen of 15 year old tech
        2) BSW (now BavSound) speakers and ski pass sub (verts only), plus Hertz 4-way cabin amp... best stock look and feel audio upgrade IMO
        3) OETuning ECU Tune — good midrange torque bump
        4) TTFS SMG Tune
        5) How could I forget the sound deadening to go with the stereo install. The engine noise through the firewall was teeth chattering with the top up. Honorable mention: Convertible Wind Screen (technically not a mod, but... you get my drift)... the tint was nice too.

maw

PS... this is absolutely a great thread... there’s so much trash out there people throw at these cars... it’s a good quick way to know what not to do... cuts the noise and increases the signal.
        Can you show me the ski pass sub? I have a BSW sub in my trunk and it's mounted where the seat fold down handles are.
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

Why do you guys dislike the 4.10's?
          I gave a couple reasons earlier this thread.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Loved:
            1. GROM Bluetooth audio and microphone kit.
            2. AFE Intake.
            3. Carbon fiber front lip.
            4. Storm Motorwerks SMG knob.
            5. SMG relocation kit.

Hated:
            1. Milltek Exhaust, the drone at highway speed is really annoying (even after completely dynamatting the trunks enclosure) and never fit perfectly.
            2. LED angel eyes. Love the look but the fit has been annoying resulting in re-opening the attachment clips more than once to adjust over time.
            3. Storm Motorwerks shift surround ring. It was better to just lightly sand the original ring to create a brushed finish.
            4. OEM look hidden mirror mounted dash cam that stopped working.
            5. BAV Sound speakers. Didn't really improve the clarity and punch (not just total volume) of my broken tweeter/mid and aging overall stock speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
              Do you have glass windows rolled down while you drive on track?

Yep. Unless it’s raining, then usually I’d go up as both groups I tend to drive with allow it. Why?

Comment

Loved
                - Karbonious CF roof
                - Brembo GT brake kit
                - BBS RGR
                - Dixis Muffler
                - EvoSport Catless headers

Hated
                - One piece stick on csl lips
                - Side Skirt Extensions
                - Milltek Muffler
                - Matte black grills
                - VMR wheels

pretty much, I love all the quality expensive parts lol
                Last edited by Toby22; 01-07-2021, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Distinct View Post

Hated:
                  1. Milltek Exhaust, the drone at highway speed is really annoying (even after completely dynamatting the trunks enclosure) and never fit perfectly.
                  I had milltek too. Everyone said it’s quiet exhaust which it is, outside the car. It droned bad and had a boomy resonance around 2k rpm. It didn’t have a smooth transition. It went from quiet to crazy loud back to quiet.
                  Last edited by Toby22; 01-07-2021, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Love
                    - Karbonius CSL airbox
                    - Full detail
                    - OEM/high quality replica of CSL exterior parts
                    - BBS E88 18” with P4S
                    - 80% “clear” tint + cinnamon interior

Hate
                    - Square setup on a daily
                    - Stock seats (not a mod, but still)
                    - Black grills (from previous owner)
                    - Shit coilovers or shorter springs on OEM shocks
                    - Kassel Tune (their products and CS is great, but not their 'tunes')
                    Last edited by Lip; 01-07-2021, 12:37 PM.
                    2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                    Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                    Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                    Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                    Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                    Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

Great thread OP!

Favorites:
                      1.) Karbonius CSL intake & MAP sensor - - what more do I need to say? Pricey setup, but as others have mentioned before it truly changes the driving dynamic. Its a shame that the S54 didn't come like this right off the assembly line.
                      2.) Euro headers & cats combo -- for power mods, this is perhaps the best bang for the buck you'll ever get if you can source a used set that's in great condition. These provide great power and torque gains for a fraction of the cost of SS stuff; granted won't produce as much, but pretty close!
                      3.) Turner monoball RTABs - - Back end feels MUCH better now under hard acceleration and aggressive cornering.
                      4.) Full Supersprint system - - pricey, but great build quality and proven performer
                      5.) Quality short shifter kit

Dislikes - not many thanks to you guys. I never strayed too far from OE parts and fluids. If I ever went aftermarket, I always chose the best and proven parts. However, I do have one that made the dislike list, with a second one that's on the fence:
                      1.) Powerflex Poly RTABs - - car would always make a squeaking noise on turns and never felt quite right on hard cornering. Can't believe EAG used to put them on all the vehicles they sold!
                      2.) Mishimoto electric fan conversion: On the fence about this one, but a necessary evil.
                      3.) Kassel CSL tune - - ran it for a hot minute when I bought a spare ECU from them. Didn't feel right at all out of the box!
                      Last edited by 2004LSB; 01-07-2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Favorites:

1) 4.10/3.91 diff

Liked the upgrade because it really woke up the car and was a mod you immediately felt when installed. This is subjective depending on what the car is used for.

2) Supercharger

Bar none if your looking for bolt on power, nothing will give you the results while maintaining a linear power curve and stock feel like the supercharger.

3) Brembo Big Brake Kit

Gives a sorta of bling factor but also ensures that you will almost never experience brake fade. Its great if your hard on your brakes with hard stops. Also pads and rotors hold up longer due to better heat dissipation. Downside is the increase noise.

4) Coilovers - Springs/Shocks

Definitely improved ride quality, handling, and feel over the numb feeling stock springs and shocks, just my opinion. I will always remember when first driving the e46 m3 on the stock springs and shocks, it feeling like a 7 series ride when I purchased my first e46 m3 over 15 years ago.

5) Increased Front Tire size

I remember increasing the width on the front tire from 225 to a 265 section width and the dramatic positive change to the car. Car felt more planted in turns, better braking, more overall confidence. I can see it now when driving on a normal front 245 section tire on my other e46 m3. While it still handles good, the confidence that the wider front tire gave is not there.

Dislikes:

1) Lightweight Flywheel

I didn't like the clutch engagement feel nor the idle rattle while in neutral. I immediately replaced after install for stock flywheel with upgraded clutch, a complete waste of money.

2) Wide Body

This one is a love/hate relationship. I love the way it looks and how you can fit wide rubber and wheels. I am sucker for wide wheels and tires. I hate the complications that come with it. So much to figure out to make it work properly: proper clearances, turning radius, proper tire diameters for front and rear, tire size availability, wheel size availability, proper panel fitment, replacement body parts, etc.

3) Section 3 / Muffler

I have yet to find muffler a muffler that when the sound is increased, it does not sound like a Japanese import. I have come to realize it's best move is to find a quiet muffler or a very mild sounding muffler rather than a loud sounding Supersprint Race Muffler type muffler.

4) 3.5" Single pipe exhaust

Converted to a single 3.5" exhaust from headers back looking for power increases. Was worse move exhaust wise ever. Sound was unbearable even with various types of muffler configurations. Exhaust tone was also terrible.

5) Any aftermarket intake other than CSL type airbox

Never felt any power increase and never wanted to believe that the stock intake was good enough, waste of money in my opinion. Only thing I got some induction sound but nowhere near a CSL airbox.

Comment

Love:
                          1. Karbonius w/ Snorkel
                          2. MCS 2WNR Coilovers
                          3. CMP Topside Reinforcement w/ Extension
                          4. Full Supersprint System w/ Sport Muffler
                          5. Vorshlag Camber Plates

Dislike
                          1. Angel Eyes (Just IMHO—Removed)
                          2. Redish Plates (This is not really a dislike, I just would have gone for the topside reinforcement only that is currently favored. The product is great)
                          3. Powerflex RTABS, FCABS SF Bushings (I should have just bought monoball FCABS, RTABS, and solid SF bushings from the start)
                          4. Black Grilles (I go back and forth on this, sometimes I think it “looks cool” on my black car and sometimes I think it looks to try hard)
                          5. Kassel CSL Tune (I’m not knocking this at all, you get what you signed up for, I was just unaware of the potential issues it could cause for me which was wicked shuddering under heavy throttle. Should be rectified by tune)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                          [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Can you show me the ski pass sub? I have a BSW sub in my trunk and it's mounted where the seat fold down handles are.
                            Not my actual car (I'm away from it), but... BMW E46 M3 -- BSW Ski Pass Sub.pdf

maw

Comment

I need to stop reading this thread and finding new ways to spend money.
                              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by jareds941 View Post

Yep. Unless it’s raining, then usually I’d go up as both groups I tend to drive with allow it. Why?
                                While door panels are a pain, they will protect you from glass spray in case you are unlucky enough to hit or get hit on the side. I know a lot of people with track cars or racecars just drop them to save 10-15lbs per side, but...safety

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Working...
                                X