-Dinan exhaust
    -faster steering rack
    -weight loss

Dislike:
    -Ohlins R&T
    -Supersprint exhaust
    -3.91 gears
    -Cold air intake
    -new OEM floormats (quality has gone to shit)

Comment

Originally posted by jvit27 View Post
      -Carplay
      -Dinan exhaust
      -faster steering rack
      -weight loss

Dislike:
      -Ohlins R&T
      -Supersprint exhaust
      -3.91 gears
      -Cold air intake
      what didnt you like about the Ohlins? I love them!
      Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post

Same, I loved them at the track today and even more over garbage New England roads on the way there and home without rattling my teeth out or car apart. Just like the name suggests

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

I think some people derive their pleasure from tinkering and improving (though sometimes the latter doesn't end up true, lol), and some derive the pleasure from experiencing it as it is. Or a mix of the two. No wrong way to enjoy an E46 M3, unless you bag it or go hellaflush of course.
          Agreed. I’m really a stock kind of guy for this car because I believe BMW Motorsport got this one pretty damned correct from the box. And because most of what’s been considered an improvement over its run has turned out not to be so much. That’s why I love this thread and the contributions of experienced devotees.

All that said, I’m really intrigued by OEM euro headers and raspX midpipe to complement my existing ECU tune. I’m wondering where all the extra midrange torque came from with a simple flash, and whether Euro headers will help or harm that effect. Most tunes are just timing advance and A/F ratios, but they don’t typically change the shape of the torque curve. Please PM me if you have any direct knowledge or experience on this, especially Euro headers with RaspX and stock muffler.

A bit more torque and a deeper, throatier voice and then I think I just enjoy driving and “restoring” this one (refinish the polished 19’s, extended leather interior bits, weight loss from decommissioned OEM stereo, etc.).

maw
          Last edited by maw1124; 05-09-2021, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
            This thread makes me realize how stock my car is. I consider myself an E46 enthusiast yet my car isn't even modded, maybe because I appreciate it so much in stock form...

By far the best upgrade has been wheels and tires. Improved performance and looks by a large margin.

Would like to improve shifting precision next. Always hated the inconsistent 1-2 shift.
            Stock is better than cheap aftermarket parts. Just keep the car in good condition inside and out and you’ll have a much more desirable car than most modded ones

Comment

Originally posted by Toby22 View Post

Stock is better than cheap aftermarket parts. Just keep the car in good condition inside and out and you’ll have a much more desirable car than most modded ones
              Gonna have to +1 this. I’d rather keep my car stock than put junk parts on it and if I don’t have the chips I’d rather not settle.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Agreed. I’m really a stock kind of guy for this car because I believe BMW Motorsport got this one pretty damned correct from the box. And because most of what’s been considered an improvement over its run has turned out not to be so much. That’s why I love this thread and the contributions of experienced devotees.

All that said, I’m really intrigued by OEM euro headers and raspX midpipe to complement my existing ECU tune. I’m wondering where all the extra midrange torque came from with a simple flash, and whether Euro headers will help or harm that effect. Most tunes are just timing advance and A/F ratios, but they don’t typically change the shape of the torque curve. Please PM me if you have any direct knowledge or experience on this, especially Euro headers with RaspX and stock muffler.

A bit more torque and a deeper, throatier voice and then I think I just enjoy driving and “restoring” this one (refinish the polished 19’s, extended leather interior bits, weight loss from decommissioned OEM stereo, etc.).

maw
                Originally posted by Toby22 View Post

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Gonna have to +1 this. I’d rather keep my car stock than put junk parts on it and if I don’t have the chips I’d rather not settle.
                Not many on this forum are installing junk parts on their car. We are definitely a cut above and there is a healthy amount of mechanical and computer expertise here as well since most all of us are so inclined. This place is not stance nation, not even close.
                Last edited by oceansize; 05-09-2021, 12:53 PM.
                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

This^^^ is of course the reason I'm paying attention.

That said, I’m wondering where all the extra midrange torque comes from with a simple flash, and whether Euro headers will help or harm that effect.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

maw
                  Last edited by maw1124; 05-10-2021, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Not many on this forum are installing junk parts on their car. We are definitely a cut above and there is a healthy amount of mechanical and computer expertise here as well since most all of us are so inclined. This place is not stance nation, not even close.
                    you’re right about the cars here 🙌🏼
                    Last edited by Toby22; 05-09-2021, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jvit27 View Post
                      -Carplay
                      -Dinan exhaust
                      -faster steering rack
                      -weight loss

Dislike:
                      -Ohlins R&T
                      -Supersprint exhaust
                      -3.91 gears
                      -Cold air intake
                      K how come 3.91 and ohlins make it on the do not like list. Curious.
                      2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post

Same here.
                        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

manual Cloth interior swap, such an underrated interior choice
                          4.1's
                          V3's till they leak
                          stock section 3 following SS bits
                          CSL airbox

Dislike:
                          GC coilovers
                          SS Race sec3; everyone who runs this should be embarrassed
                          rep CSL trunk
                          V3's when they leak
                          Mishimoto radiator

Honorable mention shoutout goes to those fresh headlight lenses

Comment

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Same, I loved them at the track today and even more over garbage New England roads on the way there and home without rattling my teeth out or car apart. Just like the name suggests

The low speed velocity behaves nicely below 45mph and the DFV really makes the high speed velocity react quickly, but the medium speed valving for spirited street driving -particularly on the rear dampers- has way too much rebound, car pitches A LOT at fun speeds. Even with flatride-like spring rates, the car really doesn't settle well and in effect feels like a cheap kit. Blasphemy I know.

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post

3.91 did make the car a bit more fun on the street, especially mine being SMG, but one of the best things about the S54 is the top end pull in 3rd. Highway rpm's are obviously a little buzzier, but the actual gear whine bothers me more. Since 3.91 is a Motorsport gearset this is just the nature of it.

Is it bad? Not at all. But I don't think the mild concessions were worth it for my use case scenario. If I were to do it again i'd go 3.73 (rare) or 3.85 (E9x M3). But FWIW I always liked the stock 3.62 to begin with; IMO putting the car on a 250+ lb diet is a better route.

Comment

The stock 3.62 is great. I just upgraded the diff but kept it 3.62– zero regrets.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

A lot of good info in here. I've thinking about diff gearing as a next project. 3.91 or 4.11 sound fun, but I have a 45 minute to hour drive to reach any sort od fun roads, and frequently take the car on road trips. I worry the gearing would driving me insane in the freeway.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X