No announcement yet.

5 Mods you loved / 5 Mods you didn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like all the mods (so far) I have done under my ownership however some of the mods that the previous owner had installed are in question.

Best:
    - Karbonious CSL airbox
    - Euro Headers > Ssv1 Headers/SCZA Muffler
    - OE CSL Bootlid
    - 18" lighter weight/CSL look vs. stock 19" 67 wheels
    - Autosolutions SSK

Side Note: Learning INPA/DIS/NCS basics, very helpful

Worst: (PO installed items that will likely be changed)
    - Budget (BC) Coils
    - Carbon Fiber look wrapped interior trim (real thing or stock)
    - Racecar door pulls (ditching these currently)
    - Smoked Corners
    - 4.10 gears (will possibly move to 3.91)
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Love:
      My signature

Hate:
      Only things done by the previous owner e.g. angel eyes, mismatched tires...
      E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Good thread OP ,

CSL air box
        4.1 diff
        Recaro CS
        Avin Avant 4 c/w Ibus
        Full SS exhaust

Comment

funny to see everyone's view points on mods.

Best:
          -Recaro SPG XL
          -Ohlins Coilovers and Sway bars
          -4.10 gears
          -SS Race muffler
          -StopTech ST60/St40

Worst :
          -Anything Poly -_- slowly starting to remove any sort of poly bushing on my car. They all suck, no arguing that.
          -Alcantara steering wheel, took that sh*t off because it's gross when its humid out
          -Mason Clutch pedal - not worth it.
          -AP headers (junk)
          -RE poly front diff bushing (on my 4th one)
          Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Originally posted by Jickel180 View Post
            Great idea. I could spend a night talking about this, but in short:

Loved:

-Epic Tune (when I had the original airbox - more noticeable gain than headers)
            -AST 4100s
            -Recaro PPs/SPGs
            -SGT CSL Trunk
            -Stoptech ST40

Not so much:

-Karbonius CSL Airbox (too much hassle for little noise)
            -Going cat-less for a few years
            -Eagle Eye LED tails back in 2009 (now OEM LED)
            -Solid Aluminum Diff Bushings (unnecessary NVH)
            -SGT CSL Front Bumper
            Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this..... Ive had the Karb box twice.. sold it twice.. i have a hard time justifying all that money spent for a little bit of noise and maybe 20hp.. only way I'd do the airbox is if I go with Cams.

Comment

Well my car came with TCK DAs and racingbrake bbk, I love both of those, although both need "refreshing" due to winter driving by PO.

Love:
              OEM Euro headers/SCZA - crazy high pitched howl, I'll miss the headers when going SSv1
              Turner CSL box/HTE tune - 4th gear 3k rpm foot flat, very nice very loud snarl.
              EC7R 18s square setup - Took off the oem zcp rims that were poorly powdered by po and cracked during winter driving. Love the satin look now with other trim on the car being black.
              New headlight lenses - such clean
              MileEndComposites Front bumper - look at the pics ffs

Dislike:
              VAC Hub - was in a bind when redoing the vanos, was redone with beisian anti rattle etc but VAC hub and oe disc, would have liked all beisian but alas.

*all i got for owning the car a little over a year, and it being my first one.
              2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this..... Ive had the Karb box twice.. sold it twice.. i have a hard time justifying all that money spent for a little bit of noise and maybe 20hp.. only way I'd do the airbox is if I go with Cams.
                Wow, I've wondered this after watching some videos that I thought it wasn't that loud. Would a turner box be louder or justify the cost upgrade?

Comment

I’m curious why the 4.10s seem to be making the less favorable mods list.
                  IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
                    Because for an NA street car it's annoying. I have 3.91's and it's JUST tolerable at highway speeds. Also with 4.10s 1st gear is literally useless.
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post

Wow, I've wondered this after watching some videos that I thought it wasn't that loud. Would a turner box be louder or justify the cost upgrade?
                      loudness is about the same I'd assume.. for NY people, if you want to pass emissions and run a MAP sensor, you need 2 DMEs... One for alpha N to pass NYS inspection and 1 for the map sensor tune.. It turns out to be over 4k at the end of the day... just not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Because for an NA street car it's annoying. I have 3.91's and it's JUST tolerable at highway speeds. Also with 4.10s 1st gear is literally useless.
                        I mostly street drive my car and I love my 4.10s.. I guess it's personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post

I mostly street drive my car and I love my 4.10s.. I guess it's personal preference.
                          I guess so, I do spend a lot of time on the highway so I'd like to be under 4k while cruising since my exhaust is loud haha
                          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                          2005 BMW ///M3
                          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
                            On track they mean you're constantly shifting, often needed mid corner in my experience. The stock car is geared great for track use.

On the street at low speeds they mean that 1rst gear is a complete throwaway, sometimes 2nd too, highway driving becomes annoying, and the car is more often slower at high speed.

Gearing is something BMW really nailed, stock.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post

Also wondering is it a function of loud exhaust? Folks I've seen happy with the airbox sound seem to run a quieter section 3?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix///M3 View Post

Also wondering is it a function of loud exhaust? Folks I've seen happy with the airbox sound seem to run a quieter section 3?
                                Probably. My exhaust is not too much louder than stock (modified my stock muffler, think SS sport volume) and I'm extremely pleased with my airbox. It's plenty loud for me and makes a much better noise than what I've managed to get out of the exhaust.

A good condition stock muffler popped up for free a couple months ago on craigslist and I really regret not picking it up. I really want to try the quiet exhaust, loud intake setup.
                                Last edited by heinzboehmer; 06-13-2021, 10:40 PM.
                                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X