Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump replacement

Hey Guys,
    Fuel pump let go on me and need a replacement.
    As far as I can tell you can only source the entire cradle from BMW but that is costing over $400.
    Does anyone know of a direct replacement of the pump only?
    I’ve read about the radium kits however some people say they worry of possible fuel starvation issues as it so not angled like the OEM pump, any feedback about this?
    Also may be overkill for a basically stock M3.
    All advice is much appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had the radium kit for over 12k miles with no fuel starvation issues. It takes a bit of DIY to make it work but it isn’t difficult as there are instructions online. There have been documented issues with people (including myself) not splicing the pos and/or ground well enough. It was user error on my part from lack of experience and had nothing to do with radium’s product.

Personally, I would recommend the radium kit and feel the quality is great.

Comment

You can pick up an aeromotive or walbro universal pump and reuse the stock cradle. The original pump is a little wider so you’ll need something to fill in the gap that is fuel resistant. I think I originally opened up some small pieces of fuel hose and it worked perfect. so long as you do a good job of soldering the wires and use a fuel resistant shrink wrap it’ll be fine. I did have issues the first time where the ground connection had a lot of resistance due to a poor solder job and high draw from the pump but it’s been perfect for a few years now after redoing it.

If you want a nice looking sleeve, radium makes a kit as mentioned, the cost is more but might be worth it. I have not heard of any issues with fuel starvation due to the angle of the radium pump. I’m sure if you don’t run your car till it’s empty, it won’t be a problem.
      Last edited by Mspir3d; 01-05-2021, 05:19 AM.
      IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Just get the OEM pump. Easy replacement and works well.

Comment

ECS tuning have some aftermarket fuel pumps too.

Comment

I have used Walbro pump in the past. Also, check ebay for low mile used pumps.
            BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

My Walboro 255 died after 2 years. Went back to an OE pump from FCP.
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I agree it’s worth the money to go OEM on the fuel pump. I installed a radium kit with an AEM pump and after a year or so the wiring corroded and the pump failed... not worth the hassle.

Comment

I installed the Radium kit with AEM pump earlier this year, and had it crap out on me due to the aforementioned wiring issues. It's due to a size mismatch on the clips provided between the re-used pump holder and the new pump's connector, if you don't get that connection perfect the wiring will short.

Ended up snipping off the clips and directly soldering + heat shrinking the wire to sidestep this issue like many others have done. After that I'm pretty confident it's a good setup, with a higher flow pump that should last a good while and nice cost savings to boot.
                  '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                  All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
                    I have used Walbro pump in the past. Also, check ebay for low mile used pumps.
                    Now, how do we know that the pump's displayed mileage wasn't rolled back?

Comment

Since these pumps are not cheap, maybe I will look into replace the pump motor brushes that worn and caused the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Now, how do we know that the pump's displayed mileage wasn't rolled back?
                        You don't. Its a gamble, sure. But they are usually rather cheap, $40-50.
                        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                          I agree it’s worth the money to go OEM on the fuel pump. I installed a radium kit with an AEM pump and after a year or so the wiring corroded and the pump failed... not worth the hassle.
                          same here but mine corroded after 5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by LSBNick View Post

same here but mine corroded after 5 months.
                            That’s odd. My AEM pump has never given me any issues, even after over a year of use with my flex fuel setup. Seems like all the issues people report with this pump are coming down to bad wiring jobs.

Edit: I did not choose the solder the connections either. Just made sure the female terminals had adequate tension and the locking pin was pushed down to interlock the terminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by DESMDR3; 01-08-2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Aeromotive has the best customer service I’ve seen for a fuel pump company. I had a problem once and they sent me a replacement, no questions asked. If they had a pump that could meet the needs of my current setup, I would not hesitate to use them. On the other hand deatschwerks has some of the worst customer service. I will never use them again.
                              IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Working...
                              X