No announcement yet.

Dropped cam pin down head...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is encouraging! Yours was way up front, mine is a bit further back (cyl. 2 ish) however mine may be up on top of the baffle.

On a side note, could someone please measure the length of just the metal portion of the timing pin so I have a rough idea of the size that broke off. Thanks in advance.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

I feel the odds of it breaking that cover and making it down the hole are pretty slim. It would have to be the perfect angle and an inelastic collision for it to continue down after having broke the cover. I’ve seen weirder things happen though. At least the oil pan is not steel.
      IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

This has saved my bacon more than once
        USB Snake Inspection Camera, Fantronics 2.0 MP IP67 Waterproof USB C Borescope, Type-C Scope Camera with 8 Adjustable LED Lights for (16.4ft) Samsung Galaxy S9/S8, Google pixel, Nexus 6p(Not for iPhone): Amazon.com: Camera & Photo

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

That is encouraging! Yours was way up front, mine is a bit further back (cyl. 2 ish) however mine may be up on top of the baffle.

On a side note, could someone please measure the length of just the metal portion of the timing pin so I have a rough idea of the size that broke off. Thanks in advance.
          Mine measures 2.25" from where the narrow part of the pin meets the thick metal part on the handle. Gl man, this would drive me insane. But it's probably not as bad you think.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Mine measures 2.25" from where the narrow part of the pin meets the thick metal part on the handle. Gl man, this would drive me insane. But it's probably not as bad you think.
            Thanks! And yes I'm driven insane thinking about dropping the pan and it not even being in there.
            I will def. inspect the head area thoroughly before dropping the pan, ugh.

I imagine high speed camera footage would show the pin ejecting out of the bottom of the camshaft directly impacting the plastic separator, breaking it, then bouncing up and then comming back down in such an angle to allow it go down the hell hole.

Wow, if its 2.25" I've got a damn big piece of metal down there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210106_171041.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	77442
            Last edited by Cubieman; 01-06-2021, 02:12 PM.

Instagram

Comment

Is there any passages on top of the head (other than the spark plugs holes) that would allow the broken metal piece to get anywhere except the pan?
              No. Look into the valve springs too, but first try out to see if the remain broken pin could get in between the spring turns. Be patient; I once tried to find a head bolt washer and it took me a long time to locate the thing hidden between a spring and the wall.

Comment

Concur. I lost a shim once and it took me an hour to find it with a strong magnet pickup tool. There are lots of places to hide within the head. Is it possible it flew out of the head into the garage? Maybe time for a deep clean of the engine bay and garage?

Measured my pin, 2.5 inches, photo below.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.27.57 PM.png
Views:	456
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	77460 ​​​​​​​
                Attached Files

Comment

How far was the crank turned when you realized the broken pin? 1/4 or 1/2 turns? The missing broken pin must be 1" long at least and and 4 or 5" from the broken grate, so I don't think it could bounce high and fell on the floor. Since it was almost vertical and aligned right above that broken plastic grate screen, I think as soon as the crank was turned CW, less than 1/8 turns, the pin broke when the cam turned CW 1/16 turns and so it fell right onto the broken grate and down the hole into the pan before the cam turning any further. If not in the pan it should be laying near the cam hole instead of bouncing anywhere far distance.
                  Last edited by sapote; 01-06-2021, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                    Concur. I lost a shim once and it took me an hour to find it with a strong magnet pickup tool. There are lots of places to hide within the head. Is it possible it flew out of the head into the garage? Maybe time for a deep clean of the engine bay and garage?

Measured my pin, 2.5 inches, photo below.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.27.57 PM.png
Views:	456
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	77460
                    Definitely possible, that seems like such a huge piece to fall down there. However that hole for the pin is directly over the top of the hole with the broken plastic separator.

Instagram

Comment

Definitely possible, that seems like such a huge piece to fall down there. However that hole for the pin is directly over the top of the hole with the broken plastic separator.
                      Might be a dumb suggestion, but are you sure it's not in the cam still?
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                        How far was the crank turned when you realized the broken pin? 1/4 or 1/2 turns? The missing broken pin must be 1" long at least and and 4 or 5" from the broken grate, so I don't think it could bounce high and fell on the floor. Since it was almost vertical and aligned right above that broken plastic grate screen, I think as soon as the crank was turned CW, less than 1/8 turns, the pin broke when the cam turned CW 1/16 turns and so it fell right onto the broken grate and down the hole into the pan before the cam turning any further. If not in the pan it should be laying near the cam hole instead of bouncing anywhere far distance.
                        I don't think I turned the crank even 1/16th after it broke. I heard/felt it the moment that happened and stopped what I was doing immediately.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Might be a dumb suggestion, but are you sure it's not in the cam still?
                          Definitely checked that, unfortunately not the case. Like sapote said that hole in the cam the pin was in is right over the hole in question and that broken grate says it definitely made contact at/near the hole. I just hope since it's such a big piece (hopefully 1 piece) it will give me a chance at getting it out without dropping the pan.

Instagram

Comment

Ouch. Definitely get some strong magnets as been suggested and probe around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

if you decide to put a magnet down that oil galley make sure the magnet is secured to the tool itself. I’ve seen some pickup tools where the magnet was attached using some shitty adhesive and i’ve lost just the magnet. Luckily it was easily retrieved but I after that i have been weary of using cheap HF pickup tools in blind conditions.1

Comment

Any updates? Please tell us you found it.

Comment

Working...
                                X