No announcement yet.

Streamline airbox internally implodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even the Evolve box have issue => https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762921

Comment

Originally posted by Xmetal View Post
      geeeez.
      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Ok ok ok!
        Now.. question. Has anyone documented a Karb CF box destroying itself like that?
        Genuinely interested..
        TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreamer00 View Post
          Ok ok ok!
          Now.. question. Has anyone documented a Karb CF box destroying itself like that?
          Genuinely interested..
          Not sure, but here's my anecdotal experience

I was the last person to run a group buy for Karbonius airboxes. IIRC, NZ_M3 chimed in on the thread to give feedback on the lower feed portion not having a small design detail which I shared with Karbonius. They made corrections to their mold in a matter of weeks and for the boxes they shipped out, they sent a piece and glue to attach it to make the corrections.

What I like about Karbonius is that they continue to improve their products, even their old ones like the CSL airbox.

To be transparent: take my comment with a grain of salt. I am a fan of their products and was provided discounts for their parts.
          2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
          Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
          Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
          Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
          Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
          Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
            Not sure, but here's my anecdotal experience

I was the last person to run a group buy for Karbonius airboxes. IIRC, NZ_M3 chimed in on the thread to give feedback on the lower feed portion not having a small design detail which I shared with Karbonius. They made corrections to their mold in a matter of weeks and for the boxes they shipped out, they sent a piece and glue to attach it to make the corrections.

What I like about Karbonius is that they continue to improve their products, even their old ones like the CSL airbox.

To be transparent: take my comment with a grain of salt. I am a fan of their products and was provided discounts for their parts.
            As somebody who bought their box through that group-buy, cannot agree more.
            Their warranty/customer service is what always strikes me in a positive manner.. having purchased a few other pieces from them.

Not to detract from the original intent of this thread.. but given the fact that a company's customer service/outreach is generally synonymous with the quality of their product, I am not at all surprised by the content of this thread. Hope the guy's replacement box holds up.
            TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

"Implodes"? That seems like an overly dramatic description. It looks like it just fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
                "Implodes"? That seems like an overly dramatic description. It looks like it just fell apart.
                must be all that youtube ive been watching lately, with catch phrases to entice clicks.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

If one of the broken piece jammed between valve and seat then the head has to be out to clean it. Worst if it was on EX seat then I could cause burned valve. If the jammed piece thick enough it can cause bent valve.
                  For sure. But in theory couldn't you pull the packs and plugs, and crank the motor manually and blow high pressure air through the head to clear anything out? I recall doing that with my old boss years ago on a car where some plastic from a clip fell into the chamber on some other kind of car. But I don't know how legit or not that idea was lol.
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

For sure. But in theory couldn't you pull the packs and plugs, and crank the motor manually and blow high pressure air through the head to clear anything out? I recall doing that with my old boss years ago on a car where some plastic from a clip fell into the chamber on some other kind of car. But I don't know how legit or not that idea was lol.
                    Under relatively high pressure (valve spring) and high temp, the debris might tuck to the seat and blowing air cannot dislodge it.

Comment

I'd imagine if pieces of that streamline 3d printed one got though into the combustion chamber it would just melt and disappear. I doubt it could do any major damage, except perhaps bend a valve if it got stuck in the wrong place.

But better for it not to happen in the first place.
                      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

there are some good 3-D printed plastics around but its still not as good as conventional moulded and you need a professional grade machine. High stressed areas near clamps or bolts such thin wall thickness are a huge timebomb. I bet compounding the issue was he used worm drive hose clamps which have a hard spot on them and provide high local crushing forces, heat cycle a few times and its brittle as all hell. BMW uses certain clamps for a good reason

Comment

Go Karb, don't waste your time and money.

Comment

When low cost and appearance are first priority and construction/durability an afterthought this will happen.

Sadly the ECS version recently released in the market already has the most basic of construction flaws so you know after time it will have others too like this. Made in Taiwan lacking R&D.

Making pretty CF body parts and cosmetic pieces doesn’t mean a shop can successfully make engine components. One needs to account for resonance/vibrations along with heat cycles.

On a positive note this should be able to be corrected.
                            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

After reading this I went and epoxied all the stacks inside my Turner box. It already had two broken connections. One was broken when I bought it and the other broke off in transit. They didn't put fragile on the box or anything. I REALLY dislike ECS. They're pretty much hot garbage at this point. I'm more confident that Turner had a hand in the design but ultimately ECS owns them. Who knows what corners they had to cut to make a $1500 airbox.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Another vote of confidence for Karb. I bought my car with their airbox installed and there were some fitment issues with one of the lines. I emailed them asking for help and they would take care of the fix as long as I shipped the unit back to them in Spain.

Even though it was out of warranty, they stood by their product with zero questions asked. We ought to support more companies like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                                2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Working...
                                X