Help Solving Loud Clicking/Buzz Coming From Dash - SOLVED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Solving Loud Clicking/Buzz Coming From Dash - SOLVED

I've finally got my recent E46M build back on the road and really enjoying it. Unfortunately I have one minor gremlin I can't seem to track down. There is a very consistent clicking noise that seems like it is coming from the dash or center console. At first I assumed it was something with the HVAC system but it is not effected by changing fan speed, heat/cool etc. I have also noticed that is seems tied to road speed. The faster the car goes the louder and faster it gets. Engine RPM does not effect it.

Is there anything that rotates in the dash tied to engine speed? I thought maybe the driveshaft hitting a heat shield but no luck there. It sounds more like a fan or bearing. I'm running out of ideas and hoping you guys have some!

Edit Solved - So, solved this after seeing this post. It was too long wheel bolts in the rear clicking against the emergency brake.
    Last edited by robgill; 02-27-2021, 10:15 AM.

the only moving part behind the dash that i can think of is the blower motor....that would make that noise. whats puzzling is the no change in sound with the fan speed.

Comment

or possibly a cd in the cd player?

Comment

I'm starting to think the noise is piping in from somewhere else on the car. So I'm thinking transmission back as it matches road speed. Going to check the driveshaft center bearing tomorrow...

Comment

Dry speedo cable?

Comment

Since you mention it's speed dependent maybe you have a nail in a tire?

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post
              Dry speedo cable?
              It's electrical signal and no cable.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

It's electrical signal and no cable.
                Derp, my bad then (insert facepalm icon)! I know w/older cars, this was a very common problem.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I've prolly had my dash gauges out like 100x's trying to fix a problem, and knew there wasn't a cable back there...don't even know why I said that now-lol.
                Last edited by stash1; 01-22-2021, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Remove the cabin air filter and look/feel inside for a live snake.

A loose piece of plastic sheet or similar could flap around faster as car speed increased.

Comment

Someone put a zip tie around your driveshaft?
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Ive hear about ecu fan causing a buzz sound in the dash

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                        Someone put a zip tie around your driveshaft?
                        Like the card in a bicycle wheel... It makes it sound like a hot rod. That would be a really good prank
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

So, solved this after seeing this post. It was too long wheel bolts in the rear clicking against the emergency brake.

Comment

Slightly lift the ebrake while driving and report back if it disappears.

Comment

Shut, lol. I just saw you found the problem.

That drove me nuts, I thought my driveshaft giubo was going to explode and cut my legs.

Comment

Working...
                              X