Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toby22 View Post

Riiight
    I assume you have not properly examined the original strut bar - nor have you driven my vehicle 🤠

Comment

Originally posted by Toby22 View Post

Riiight
      • For a strut brace to be effective it needs to be strong enough to stop/reduce very small movements
      • A 'vert's chassis moves more than a coupe as it does not have a solid roof as a structural element - Ipso Facto, a vert may well benefit from structural reinforcement elsewhere
      • If you put a bend in a metal structure it becomes a weak point
      • A solid piece of metal is stronger than the same section made out of sheet metal
      • A square section metal extrusion is stronger than a round section - which is again stronger than an oval cross-section (when the forces are perpendicular to the weakest point of an oval cross-section)
      • Last - but not least, the BMW design with moveable bolt slots in the bar itself means that it was never seriously designed to carry any structural load (In the aftermarket setup the adjustment slots are on the turret - which are at an angle and therefore the whole stucture is locked together).
      • As the side-by side comparison pictures below between the original brace and aftermarket illustrate, the stock brace is an oval cross-section made out of sheet metal with a bend in the middle. The turret mounts are also unsubstantial in comparison - it appears to be a flimsy piece of shyte in every way when compared to my aftermarket solid cast CNC'd aluminium brace with no bends in sight - and my driving experience after replacing it confirms that to me
      As I said - once removed the BMW strut bar can be flexed at the bend with your bare hands. It's structurally useless.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.9 KB ID:	82915

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	82918
      Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.5 KB ID:	82919
      Attached Files
      Last edited by IamFODI; 02-11-2021, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

No, there's a pin that sets camber in place.
        Not if you run plates.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
          So long as you don't jack it up, there's enough friction to keep the struts from moving.
          ^ This. Even if you have to move it you just need to put the nuts back on the strut studs. Just like factory does when there’s no stock brace.
          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Bimmerworld collected some data from their Spec E46 car: https://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us...race-worth-it/

Worth a read. Convertibles might be a different ball game though.
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

A whole bunch of pro race car drivers up in here... haha.

I’d venture to guess that none of us would be able to tell the difference between an oem bar or the most expensive bar out there. But don’t let me hold you back from spending your money how you’d like to...

My car is 99% track and I’m running the oem bar and don’t think I’ll be changing anytime soon. I’d rather spend the money on tires, brakes, or track days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
              2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

I already explained how you can improve upon stock design. There's more to the equation than how rigid the bar is. Afaik, we only care about the bar's rigidity in one dimension (distance between towers) anyway, so stock would be sufficiently rigid. it's the mounting that seems suspect to me.

Beyond that, we've also seen stock ends (the cast part) break.

Stock bar's ease of removal for engine work will be missed, however.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  Beyond that, we've also seen stock ends (the cast part) break.
                  I wonder if the stock ends break because of installation error, specifically attaching the center bar while one or both front wheels are in the air (and unloaded).

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                    I already explained how you can improve upon stock design. There's more to the equation than how rigid the bar is. Afaik, we only care about the bar's rigidity in one dimension (distance between towers) anyway, so stock would be sufficiently rigid. it's the mounting that seems suspect to me.

Stock bar's ease of removal for engine work will be missed, however.
                    Exactly. A bar’s design is to keep the suspension same distance apart. Allow suspension to do it’s work. The stock brace does this adequately.

Stock brace is also made for easier access to work on engine. There are positives and negatives to this. Ease of just center bar removal and end caps untouched one of them.
                    One very overlooked point to mention with the stock design is its ability to function with the engineers “crumple zones”. Incredible amount of engineering and cost on the car’s body and frame to allow it in an accident or impact to absorb energy and keep passenger safe. Attach a steel brace with the design of a tubular subframe and this changes greatly how car reacts in an accident. Usually much more dangerous and costly. For a track junkie that’s not really a major factor anymore. For a street driven car it is.

Decades ago (in my E30 M3 days) Gustave wrote a great engineering paper on strut braces. What they are for and what they should and don’t need to do.

6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	47D99BD7-DA37-43B8-89C0-C3498F0FF16C.png
Views:	1211
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	83080
                      Originally posted by RoyalFlushness View Post
                      Anybody have any input on how much of a difference a strut bar makes on our vehicles? I have an early 01 pre LCI with no strut bar and have been eying the Rogue Engineering bar as my car starts too see more action.
                      As per Rogues website, early model e46s would also need the front reinforcement plates in order for the rogue strut bar to fit. The strut towers are a bit different than newer model e46s.
                      Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 02-04-2021, 07:19 PM.

Comment

This one is a beast and doesn't cost $700 lol

We 3D laser scanned several cars and motors, and then CAD designed this strut tower bar for maximum clearance and strength to cure classic issues with

Will likely go this route down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnvu View Post

We 3D laser scanned several cars and motors, and then CAD designed this strut tower bar for maximum clearance and strength to cure classic issues with

Men... Ugly as fuck. Must be high as fuck, to install that in my car.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	47D99BD7-DA37-43B8-89C0-C3498F0FF16C.png
Views:	1211
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	83080
                            As per Rogues website, early model e46s would also need the front reinforcement plates in order for the rogue strut bar to fit. The strut towers are a bit different than newer model e46s.
                            That should not require the "reinforcement plates" to make it work. Just longer studs. Reinforcement plates fit underside of the strut tower on E46. Think they're just saying because of the "bumps" on the earlier tower tops it sits higher up and has less threads of the stock studs exposed to attach the nuts to.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnvu View Post

Originally posted by bjz! View Post

Men... Ugly as fuck. Must be high as fuck, to install that in my car.
                              Yeah, pretty much. Too bad it says MAX right in the middle and is painted bright gold.
                              E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                              Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	47D99BD7-DA37-43B8-89C0-C3498F0FF16C.png Views:	0 Size:	271.9 KB ID:	83080

Interesting. I just ordered a DMG Bar so we will see. I fully forgot that the early models were mushroomed. I searched BAT fro some 01 Models and looks like a strut bar can be installed (looks like the mounts are barely threaded on in this picture) Wonder if it still provides the same structural support as it would sitting flush to the strut tower.

Last edited by RoyalFlushness; 02-05-2021, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X