Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clicking Sounds

Hey Everyone...

I recently bought a 2004 coupe from a friend of mine and since the transfer, I've noticed a clicking sound coming from under the center console. The noise is only when the car is in motion and not during idle. Any ideas what this may be?

my guess is the guibo underneath is shot

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post
      my guess is the guibo underneath is shot
      What's a guibo?

Comment

Looked it up:

A giubo (/ˈdʒuːboʊ/ JOO-boh; etymology: giunto Boschi, "Boschi joint"), also known as a flex disc, and sometimes misspelled as guibo, is a flexible coupling used to transmit rotational torque between the drive shaft and the companion flange on mechanical devices, such as an automobile engine.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Made an appointment with the guys at The M Shop for later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by G3N3M3 View Post
          Looked it up:

A giubo (/ˈdʒuːboʊ/ JOO-boh; etymology: giunto Boschi, "Boschi joint"), also known as a flex disc, and sometimes misspelled as guibo, is a flexible coupling used to transmit rotational torque between the drive shaft and the companion flange on mechanical devices, such as an automobile engine.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Made an appointment with the guys at The M Shop for later this week.
          Have them check ALL bushings while its up on the rack.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

Have them check ALL bushings while its up on the rack.
            Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Here's a more simple answer.

When your car is on a lift, look underneath where the transmission mounts and the driveshaft is. If yours has cracks or chunks missing then its time to replace it. This is what a normal guibo looks like.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	KIT-26112226527kt.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	84038
              Attached Files

Comment

You should also check the center support bearing which is not far from where the guibo is. If you replace your guibo you'll want to replace this as well.

Name:	DSCF3650.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	84040
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
                  You should also check the center support bearing which is not far from where the guibo is. If you replace your guibo you'll want to replace this as well.

Name:	DSCF3650.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	84040
                  Is this normally an expensive fix?

Comment

Originally posted by G3N3M3 View Post

Is this normally an expensive fix?
                    The actual center support bearing is not too expensive, but there is a fair bit of labor involved in getting to both that bearing and the guibo. Bottom plastic panels, front reinforcement plate, rear v brace, exhaust section 1, exhaust section 2 and heat shields all have to come off to get to the driveshaft. An afternoon's work, but not entirely sure what a shop would charge.

If you plan on tackling this yourself, be aware that both the CSB and the guibo have a certain orientation that they go in. This video talks about the guibo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw7Zbp1rfGI
                    BMW calls for both the bolts and nuts on the guibo to be replaced. And don't forget to preload the CSB 4-6mm towards the front of the car before torquing.

Also, TIL that it's spelled giubo and not guibo.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

^^ what he said. I just did this recently, and made sure to buy new nuts/bolts, exhaust hangers (mine were worn) and anything rusty if you live anywhere north you want to replace.

I also changed out all the giubo nuts & bolts with new. There is a proper orientation of the giubo too, if not it will lash
                      Last edited by antknee; 02-10-2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

The actual center support bearing is not too expensive, but there is a fair bit of labor involved in getting to both that bearing and the guibo. Bottom plastic panels, front reinforcement plate, rear v brace, exhaust section 1, exhaust section 2 and heat shields all have to come off to get to the driveshaft. An afternoon's work, but not entirely sure what a shop would charge.

If you plan on tackling this yourself, be aware that both the CSB and the guibo have a certain orientation that they go in. This video talks about the guibo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw7Zbp1rfGI
                        BMW calls for both the bolts and nuts on the guibo to be replaced. And don't forget to preload the CSB 4-6mm towards the front of the car before torquing.

Also, TIL that it's spelled giubo and not guibo.
                        Wow thanks for all the info! I'm not much of an experienced mechanic so I'll see if the shop can tackle this at a reasonable cost. Good reference though, always looking to further my education on these cars!!

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post
                          ^^ what he said. I just did this recently, and made sure to buy new nuts/bolts, exhaust hangers (mine were worn) and anything rusty if you live anywhere north you want to replace.

I also changed out all the giubo nuts & bolts with new. There is a proper orientation of the giubo too, if not it will lash
                          I'll be sure to bring it up to the guys at the shop...thanks!

Comment

While your mechanic is in there, it would be a good time to change out the transmission mounts. They’re literally above the giubo.

I use and recommend these https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...nts_p_137.html

Here’s a parts list you’ll need for the other stuff if you decide to order on your own. I listed OEM bc that’s what’s recommended. You could go with a Febi brand for about $100 less.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-26112226527kt

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...225071#fitment

If you don’t have a mechanic you should try and reach out to this guy. His attention to detail is second to none! If I wasn’t in NY I would definitely let this guy work on my car.

I have been an active member in the BMW community for 15+ years and have owned an E46 M3 since 2009. This car has progressed from a once daily driver, to a dual duty street/track car, and now to a dedicated track car that I regularly attend HPDE, Time Trails, and other events with. Over the years I have met a ton of enthusiasts
                            Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 02-10-2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
                              While your mechanic is in there, it would be a good time to change out the transmission mounts. They’re literally above the giubo.

I use and recommend these https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...nts_p_137.html

Here’s a parts list you’ll need for the other stuff if you decide to order on your own. I listed OEM bc that’s what’s recommended. You could go with a Febi brand for about $100 less.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-26112226527kt

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...225071#fitment

If you don’t have a mechanic you should try and reach out to this guy. His attention to detail is second to none! If I wasn’t in NY I would definitely let this guy work on my car.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/r...es-by-dan-avon
                              Wow! Thanks for the feedback!! I’ll definitely bring these points up to my mechanic tomorrow.

I was never really a forum guy before but I’m diggin all this support, thanks everyone 👍

Comment

Working...
                              X