Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ultimate OEM+ retrofit big brake kit for the E46 M3 & E9X M3 by Slon_workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Thanks.

I think you have a typo above - red text - "The Advanced Kit includes front and rear Brembo 4 piston calipers..."

I'm not used to seeing rear rotors same size as fronts but I note you say in a later post the balance remains factory, so that was helpful.

And could you please answer my caliper question?
    Pretty sure I have. Anything I missed?

These are brand new OEM Brembo rotors that are machined to accept brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Sorry for going off topic, but if you set up a GB for a Karbonius cf roof, I would put myself on the list immediately. I'm sure others on here would do the same.
      I will definitely ask.

They are a small company and they need production planning to be sharp. I have a GB with them going into production for 50 sets of carbon mirrors for the E9X and I have 60x waiting in the pipeline for their CF interior trim. They would probably like the prospect of a lower unit GB with higher ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

Pretty sure I have. Anything I missed?
        The caliper question:

Are these factory new Brembo calipers? Or have they been built out by Slon?
        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

The caliper question:
          Typo: this applies to calipers as well. Brand new.

Comment

Are there any 4-piston options in the works? 6-pistons are a bit of an overkill on the e46 IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_P View Post
              Are there any 4-piston options in the works? 6-pistons are a bit of an overkill on the e46 IMO
              No revisions planned on caliper selection as it anchors many of his kits, and I presume that’s how pricing can be so competitive.

The 6 piston caliper is pretty lightweight at 3.3kg and Mikhail loves it due to its extensive pad selection. He does however have a 355mm rotor for the E46 to further lower weight and clear smaller wheels.

I’ll be circling back on the BBK for the E46 once the E9X batches are done.

Really cool to get everyone’s feedback - was in the market for an E46 when I bought my first E9X. Your suggestions are welcomed - keep shooting ‘em!

Comment

Hey this has my attention. I was already looking at BBK kits for my track day E46M. Couple clarifying questions based on the google doc and comments above:
                • I prefer PFC 08/11 track pads. Do you know what standard PFC pads would fit? Want to avoid having to order custom track pads.
                • Is there a front+back caliper option without rotors so you can use FCP OE front and rear rotors?
                • Total Advanced cost with pads would be $5300 (4950 + 350)? That includes lines?
                Really cool to get everyone’s feedback - was in the market for an E46 when I bought my first E9X. Your suggestions are welcomed - keep shooting ‘em!
                Loved my E92M, love my E46M more 👍
                Thanks!
                Last edited by robgill; 02-12-2021, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                  I prefer PFC 08/11 track pads. Do you know what standard PFC pads would fit? Want to avoid having to order custom track pads.
                  I was doing some research while considering this kit, and here are the Zeckhausen links to give you an idea of pad selection (they seem to offer all Ferodo, PFC, StopTech race, etc. compounds so it's a good idea what's available):

Front: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...?cPath=82_1521 matches Ferodo 3098

Rear: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...hp?cPath=82_84 matches Ferodo 1348

TBH, unless this is the one listing under which Zeckhausen is incomplete, I was hoping for more. Ferodo is probably your best bet unless you want to go Hawk. I really don't like Pagid RS29 and Porterfield "special order" pads are usually larger pads milled down from my understanding.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

With 380x34 and 380x28 balance is fully the same (66.8%), as on stock With 325mm front
                    I'm having difficulty getting to the stated 66.8% front bias. Granted, I don't have the exact specs for this group buy but I found commonly-used Brembo caliper GT piston sizes. While there are many more Brembo GT rear sizes (and thus piston combinations), with the large rear rotor, the rear caliper has to be towards the smaller end of Brembo 4 piston offerings. There seem to be significantly less piston deviation for the Brembo 6 piston calipers, with most either (in mm) 42/34/32 or 38/30/28

My closest result was:
                    Front disk: 380mm
                    Front pad width: 57.5mm
                    Front piston sizes: 38/30/28 mm

Rear disk: 380mm
                    Rear pad width: 51.3mm
                    Rear piston sizes: 30/26 mm

Front bias result: 66.07%

Not trying to be difficult but rather, seriously considering this kit and would like to be an informed buyer.
                    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I don't mean to dominate this thread. I am excited by this unique offering and appreciate Epoustouflant coming into this forum to make it available.

My thinking has evolved more in the meantime:

1) IF - and that's a big if - I got those piston sizes right, 66% is on the money with stated 66.8%. Its not that OP isn't trusted, but its nice to verify. So how to verify without detailed piston specs?

2) I zoomed in on the pic of the 4 yellow calipers on in EDIT: its actually in the google docs, page 3 - also pasted below. It shows the inside of a front and rear calipers. Put a ruler up to the computer screen and note the measurements for each of the 5 pistons. Plug them into the bias calculator (doesn't matter what your absolute measurements are, just how they are relevant to one another). I got a result of 65% front. Again, right on the money of where we want to be.

I also discovered a blog post describing and showing how these BBK's are assembled. The calipers get repainted after machining (I was wondering how they offered the M-blue color). See here:
                      https://slon-workshop.ru/2018/03/27/...slon_workshop/

Given all of that, I joined the group buy. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Please don't kick me out, OP!

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 9.38.40 PM.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	150.1 KB ID:	84666
                      Last edited by jbfrancis3; 02-12-2021, 03:11 PM. Reason: changed pic source

Comment

I don't mean to dominate this thread. I am excited by this unique offering and appreciate Epoustouflant coming into this forum to make it available.
                        Nah you're good. I am quietly waiting for someone to ask to verify brake bias. OP please confirm.
                        2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                        Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                        Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                        Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                        Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                        Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

I also discovered a blog post describing and showing how these BBK's are assembled. The calipers get repainted after machining (I was wondering how they offered the M-blue color). See here:
                          Yeah good info, thanks for working to track this down. The blog post is interesting, says they are using GM calipers. After some digging looks like it is these (or similar):

Click image for larger version  Name:	ado-172-2826_jv_xl.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.0 KB ID:	84648

And wow they are cheap on Summit!! Less than $500 a caliper. Rebuild kits also pretty cheap. Clever solution by Slon.

Last edited by robgill; 02-12-2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

My thinking has evolved more in the meantime:

1) IF - and that's a big if - I got those piston sizes right, 66% is on the money with stated 66.8%. Its not that OP isn't trusted, but its nice to verify. So how to verify without detailed piston specs?

2) I zoomed in on the pic of the 4 yellow calipers on in EDIT: its actually in the google docs, page 3 - also pasted below. It shows the inside of a front and rear calipers. Put a ruler up to the computer screen and note the measurements for each of the 5 pistons. Plug them into the bias calculator (doesn't matter what your absolute measurements are, just how they are relevant to one another). I got a result of 65% front. Again, right on the money of where we want to be.

Given all of that, I joined the group buy. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Please don't kick me out, OP!

Click image for larger version Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 9.38.40 PM.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	150.1 KB ID:	84666
                            No worries about the questions - it’s refreshing to answer critical & technical questions!

Here are the piston sizes. You were close.
                            - 30/34/38 front
                            - 28/30 rear

The calipers are sourced from the C7 Z06 (front) and ZR1 CCB (rear). They are machined for bracket mounts, readily available from Brembo and have an immense pad along with an extensive selection.

Glad to have you aboard. You’re the first E46 👌

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                              Hey this has my attention. I was already looking at BBK kits for my track day E46M. Couple clarifying questions based on the google doc and comments above:
                              • I prefer PFC 08/11 track pads. Do you know what standard PFC pads would fit? Want to avoid having to order custom track pads.
                              • Is there a front+back caliper option without rotors so you can use FCP OE front and rear rotors?
                              • Total Advanced cost with pads would be $5300 (4950 + 350)? That includes lines?

Loved my E92M, love my E46M more 👍
                              Thanks!
                              No option yet for OE type rotors. No Basic Kit currently available as on E9X. Yes to your pricing & hose question. Pads were covered in previous answer by r4dr.

Slon will adapt the bracket after the E9X GB to accept a 355mm 2 piece Brembo rotor.

I will ask Mikhail if he could engineer the bracket to accept an E9X 360mm front & 350mm rear rotor. That’d be great if bias can get maintained. He has an E46, and he loves to geek out on it.

Comment

No revisions planned on caliper selection as it anchors many of his kits, and I presume that’s how pricing can be so competitive.

The 6 piston caliper is pretty lightweight at 3.3kg and Mikhail loves it due to its extensive pad selection. He does however have a 355mm rotor for the E46 to further lower weight and clear smaller wheels.

I’ll be circling back on the BBK for the E46 once the E9X batches are done.

So weight basically seems a bit lighter than the Stoptech ST-40s (3.47kg), not bad at all! This seems like a solid offering based on the info so far. I am interested in getting a BBK and would also like to know if we could have an option to accept OE E9X rotors front and rear to utilize FCP

Comment

Working...
                                X