Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ultimate OEM+ retrofit big brake kit for the E46 M3 & E9X M3 by Slon_workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the Slon-modified 6 piston Brembo caliper w/ 380mm rotors, you wonder if it gives you more or less wheel clearance for 18's. As compared to the E46 M3 Brembo kit. I personally run 19's but there are some that shy away from Brembo 380mm kits because of inability to run 18's (in addition to other reasons).

The pic in post #1 (and pasted below) shows Apex EC-7s in 18" size and the only wheel specs that clear are an 18x9.5" ET35 with an added spacer. At least according to Apex's site:

That's a pretty sporty front wheel fitment. You cannot tell from the size if that's being used on this particular vehicle. Maybe the OP knows more about 18" clearance with this kit?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20417.jpg
Views:	3239
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	84770
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
      With the Slon-modified 6 piston Brembo caliper w/ 380mm rotors, you wonder if it gives you more or less wheel clearance for 18's. As compared to the E46 M3 Brembo kit. I personally run 19's but there are some that shy away from Brembo 380mm kits because of inability to run 18's (in addition to other reasons).

The pic in post #1 (and pasted below) shows Apex EC-7s in 18" size and the only wheel specs that clear are an 18x9.5" ET35 with an added spacer. At least according to Apex's site:

That's a pretty sporty front wheel fitment. You cannot tell from the size if that's being used on this particular vehicle. Maybe the OP knows more about 18" clearance with this kit?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20417.jpg
Views:	3239
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	84770
      Rule of thumb in E9X world is if F8X calipers template clear an 18”’ spoke profile, this does.

Apex’ EC7 were designed for this, whereas the ARC8 do not clear.

Comment

A couple latest bits:

- Epoustouflant - silly question that just occurred to me - the E9X has the same rear parking brake mechanism/size as the E46, do you know?

- Wouldn't you know it, I've gotten interested in an 18" wheel set and starting talking with Apex. I think their EC-7R (forged) looks killer. Espoustouflant's comment above was helpful. Here is some additional commentary from Apex after I laid out the components (including BBK) I was working around:

Thank you for reaching out in regards to your E46 M3. For the 18x9" ET30 front and 18x10" ET25 EC-7R wheels, we have tested those specs to clear the F8X steel brakes without any issues. Therefore, those particular wheels should work just fine to clear your aftermarket BBK. Fitment-wise, when using 245/40-18 front and 275/35-18 rear tires, this setup should be a complete direct fit on your E46 M3. Even with KW V2 coilovers, no spacers will be required with the 18x9" ET30 up front.

The reason this is significant is that the 380mm Brembo kit for the E46 M3 does NOT clear an 18x9" ET 30 Apex front wheel as I alluded to previously. So this kit offers more versality than the factory Brembo kit.

Apex has some great fit guides, by the way:
        Make sure it fits. See our detailed guide with square & staggered fitments for your 2001-2006 BMW E46 M3. View photos of street & track setups.

Make sure it fits. See our detailed guide with square & staggered fitments for your 2008-2013 BMW E90 E92 E93 M3. View photos of street & track setups.

Make sure it fits. See our detailed guide with square & staggered fitments for your 2014-2019 BMW F80 M3. View photos of street & track setups.

'05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

That is great info dude! You ask all the right questions ahah. I will validate with Mikhail on e-brake question.

Comment

Appreciate you checking. You ought to tell this forum about your newly launched website.

Comment

Appreciate you checking. You ought to tell this forum about your newly launched website.
              Working on it Big week at work - will do the introduction post this weekend. Hoping to start offering more valuable GBs to the E46 community. All of your feedback is super helpful.

Regarding E-brake: the brake drum diameter is the same, but Mikhail believes the rotors have different heights.

Comment

Originally posted by BlAikenstein View Post

Is it the arc8 17x10 et25 by chance? I’m hoping to move to the db9 kit at some point starting with stock rotors and then bumping up to zcp rotors later
                I'm pretty sure it's the ARC-8 he's referring to. I have the Brembo GT 4 pot front kit with 355mm/32mm discs and have been trying to find a good 17 to run, it seems like this may be the only good option at <$400 per wheel. Should be able to get more custom stuff to fit too I imagine

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
                  Regarding E-brake: the brake drum diameter is the same, but Mikhail believes the rotors have different heights.
                  Ok. I couldn’t tell from your response if he is Mikhail is going to examine further, or if there isn’t an interest in doing so. Either way is fine but I am curious what you recommend at this stage. Should I purchase the current 380mm kit and once your E46 application gets further developed (maybe I would be able to swap the rotor hats?), that takes care of the potential fit issue? Or should I wait for the E46 application (at the risk of there not being a 380mm option?)

Your current offering covers my needs perfectly: the 380mm size, the price, the fit with 18” wheels, the color, to name a few. I just don’t want to end up at a dead end with the rear system.

Thank you!

Comment

Ok. I couldn’t tell from your response if he is Mikhail is going to examine further, or if there isn’t an interest in doing so. Either way is fine but I am curious what you recommend at this stage. Should I purchase the current 380mm kit and once your E46 application gets further developed (maybe I would be able to swap the rotor hats?), that takes care of the potential fit issue? Or should I wait for the E46 application (at the risk of there not being a 380mm option?)

Your current offering covers my needs perfectly: the 380mm size, the price, the fit with 18” wheels, the color, to name a few. I just don’t want to end up at a dead end with the rear system.

Thank you!
                    Sorry for the confusion.

The 380mm Advanced Kit is already E46 compatible and tested on Slon's own E46 M3. This fits.
                    From feedback in this thread, he will develop a smaller 355mm Advanced Kit for 18in wheel fitments.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion.

The 380mm Advanced Kit is already E46 compatible and tested on Slon's own E46 M3. This fits.
                      From feedback in this thread, he will develop a smaller 355mm Advanced Kit for 18in wheel fitments.
                      Ah my mistake. Well, great! I will complete payment when invoice received. I know you are batching these. Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion.

What would the price be for the full kit? Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

What would the price be for the full kit? Thanks,
                          380mm kit is 4,950 US without pads at current max GB pricing threshold - retails around 6,000 US. Shipping included.

I’d assume 355mm kit would be a tad less

Comment

380mm kit is 4,950 US without pads at current max GB pricing threshold - retails around 6,000 US. Shipping included.

I’d assume 355mm kit would be a tad less
                            Thank you

Comment

Sorry for the confusion.

I would be very interested in a 355 kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post

I would be very interested in a 355 kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Will come after the 380mm E9X GB!

Comment

Working...
                                X