No announcement yet.

CSL Diffuser options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just removed an aftermarket diffuser so I could reinstall OEM. I am told by the previous owner it was from ECS Tuning. The piece fit fairly well along the edges, but was somewhat loose on one corner due to some slack remaining in the flexible metal 'clip'. So I suspect a variety of pliers and pry bars might be in order to get an optimal bend in those clips.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
      Just got the Burkhart Engineering diffuser. It showed up 1 week after placing the order. I didn't have to pay duty/import taxes, which seems odd, but I'm not complaining.

Quality seems good, can't speak to the fitment yet. There aren't any visible imperfections as far as I can see.

It's going to the paint shop this week along with the rest of the car. Because my whole car is being painted, getting the diffuser painted wasn't a factor for me.
      This Burkhart diffuser attachments looks really similar to the happybuyitnow ebay one I purchase a while back.

Also, did you give your shop specific instructions on how to paint the diffuser? I have an unpainted MileEnd diffuser, but am not sure if I should just mask the carbon part myself rather than trusting the shop to know how the CSL diffuser should be painted.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post
        I just removed an aftermarket diffuser so I could reinstall OEM. I am told by the previous owner it was from ECS Tuning. The piece fit fairly well along the edges, but was somewhat loose on one corner due to some slack remaining in the flexible metal 'clip'. So I suspect a variety of pliers and pry bars might be in order to get an optimal bend in those clips.
        Do you have pictures of it installed? Would you sell it?

Comment

Just got the Burkhart Engineering diffuser. It showed up 1 week after placing the order. I didn't have to pay duty/import taxes, which seems odd, but I'm not complaining.

Quality seems good, can't speak to the fitment yet. There aren't any visible imperfections as far as I can see.

It's going to the paint shop this week along with the rest of the car. Because my whole car is being painted, getting the diffuser painted wasn't a factor for me.
          Post pictures once painted and installed! Going to wait to see how this fits before I order something!

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
            This Burkhart diffuser attachments looks really similar to the happybuyitnow ebay one I purchase a while back. Also, did you give your shop specific instructions on how to paint the diffuser? I have an unpainted MileEnd diffuser, but am not sure if I should just mask the carbon part myself rather than trusting the shop to know how the CSL diffuser should be painted.
            Was a tad disappointed to see the metal tabs in the back, not gonna lie. Exact reason I posted it for other perspective buyers.

I've not seen a happybuymenow diffuser in the flesh so can't really compare, but the CF work is great on the Burkhart piece. At the end of the day, it's a beauty cover, so of it fits decently, I'm happy.

Haven't yet told the shop how to do the paint lines. Still haven't dropped the car off.

Originally posted by Rekpoint View Post

Post pictures once painted and installed! Going to wait to see how this fits before I order something!
            Will do brother, will do.
            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

This Burkhart diffuser attachments looks really similar to the happybuyitnow ebay one I purchase a while back.

Also, did you give your shop specific instructions on how to paint the diffuser? I have an unpainted MileEnd diffuser, but am not sure if I should just mask the carbon part myself rather than trusting the shop to know how the CSL diffuser should be painted.
              I was giving this some thought as I wait for my unpainted diffuser to come in. I was thinking of just putting some base tape line marks for the body shop to use before they mask it themselves. I was also going to print off a picture of an OEM painted CSL diffuser and include it when dropping off the item for paint as well.

Comment

Here's a few shots.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_101619.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	149645 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_101549.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	149644 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_101229.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	149647 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_101407.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	149646 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_101425.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	149643
                Looks like the 19% VAT is included in the price. Shipped to the USA it looks like is around $395. Probably going to go this route, and just have it painted locally since it looks so high quality. Would love to see how the fitment is once you get it installed! Thanks for being the guinea pig lol

Comment

Looks identical to my happy buy it now tbh.

Only difference on mine was that someone wrote "A08" on the inside with white paint since mine was painted.

Mine was 2x2 and yours is 1x1 right? CF looks really good. i think you're going to be happy. You can reference my journal (early post) where I show/explain some tips for those metal tabs.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Only difference on mine was that someone wrote "A08" on the inside with white paint since mine was painted.

Mine was 2x2 and yours is 1x1 right? CF looks really good. i think you're going to be happy. You can reference my journal (early post) where I show/explain some tips for those metal tabs.
                    I went thru your build thread and could not find the info on diffuser installation;

Mind sharing some tips & details here?

I had mine installed last Fall and although the finish looks great for what I paid (~$400 painted), the installation and final fitment was subpar; I did bend the metal tabs after inserting them into their designated slots; Perhaps I didn't pull & bend them in tight enough?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200819_115342.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	150090
                      Unfortunately, it was all lost on m3f, but I was able to save these pics ^

I rolled the metal tangs into hook, then used zip ties to pull the diffuser into the bumper and body in various places.

Comment

Ah got cha. So it most likely requires zipties to really lock it down in there.

Thank you for the tip! Will get this done when the weather gets warmer.

Comment

Ya the tangs by themselves were pretty useless in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Super interesting. The quality is good on the finish, but now I'm wondering if it's made in China vs. Germany. Ha

I'll follow your tips, appreciate them.

Kinda janky as shit that they can't get it to mount like an OE piece, but again... it's a beauty cover.
                            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Burkhart buncha shady foos.
                              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Maybe the Buckhart one is from the same mould as happybuyitnow but laid in 1x1. I believe as Tbone states the happybuyitnow is 2x2. I ordered an unpainted happybuyitnow unit so I will most pics when I get it. OE CSL is 2x2 weave?

Comment

Working...
                                X