M3 Oil Consumption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 Oil Consumption?

2002 M3 here with 120k mi. Previous owner said that the car needed a bit of oil every 5 or 6 fill ups of gas. That sounds a little on the high end of things, my previous 2004 M3 did not show the same oil consumption levels.

Looks like the previous owner filled up the car with BMW OEM 10w60, next time I go to change the oil I'm going to go with Liqui Moly to see if this changes anything.

Anyone else burn oil? thanks!
    Last edited by scubastove; 04-09-2020, 05:29 PM.

Originally posted by scubastove View Post
    2002 M3 here. Previous owner said that the car needed a bit of oil every 5 or 6 fill ups of gas. That sounds a little on the high end of things, my previous 2004 M3 did not show the same oil consumption levels.

Looks like the previous owner filled up the car with BMW OEM 10w60, next time I go to change the oil I'm going to go with Liqui Moly to see if this changes anything.

Anyone else burn oil? thanks!
    Nope. 2002 M3 as well. Are you sure there's not a leak somewhere?
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Nope. 2002 M3 as well. Are you sure there's not a leak somewhere?
      Hmm, seems to be pretty dry underneath. I just bought the car so I don’t have any long-term data on that yet. PPI said they didn’t find any leaks, haven’t brought it in for any post-purchase inspection yet.

Car arrived with oil at the max fill up line. 200 miles of relatively spirited driving later and it’s right beneath the max fill line now.

Comment

I have 06 with 159k miles and car doesn't burn any oil so something is wrong.

Comment

Have an 02 with 65k miles doesn’t burn a drop.

Comment

Hmm, seems to be pretty dry underneath. I just bought the car so I don’t have any long-term data on that yet. PPI said they didn’t find any leaks, haven’t brought it in for any post-purchase inspection yet.

Car arrived with oil at the max fill up line. 200 miles of relatively spirited driving later and it’s right beneath the max fill line now.
            That's a little concerning if I'm being honest. Just fixed a pretty substantial leak on my car and the oil dropped from the max fill line to the min line in about 1000 miles.

Are your dipstick and oil fill caps properly sealing? If so take a look at your spark plugs. They'll be dark and probably have some build up on them if you're burning oil. A leakdown test might also be a good idea.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

158k and I was baffled after the first year of ownership (last year) that I never had to top it off. Mark me down for a nope-ski.

The belly pan can probably hold a fair amount of oil before showing leaks on the driveway though

Comment

Originally posted by beefaroni View Post
                158k and I was baffled after the first year of ownership (last year) that I never had to top it off. Mark me down for a nope-ski.

The belly pan can probably hold a fair amount of oil before showing leaks on the driveway though
                the plastic belly pan or the metal reinforcement plate? Hoping to get my car on jacks this weekend to pop off the plastic belly pan to see if there’s any seepage.

Comment

the plastic belly pan or the metal reinforcement plate? Hoping to get my car on jacks this weekend to pop off the plastic belly pan to see if there’s any seepage.
                  Both. In my case oil splashed everywhere when driving. Check the plastic one first though, as it will have most of it if there is a leak.

Comment

If PPI didn't find any leaks (assuming they can be trusted, because they should be there for the buyer), it's unlikely that within a short period of time a large leak develops. That said, it's possible, so check the usual suspects of vcg, oil pan gasket, cpv, rear main, vanos pressure line, vanos area, chain tensioner, cam and crank sensor locations, oil separator, etc. Do you know if the car had trouble passing emissions before you bought it?
                    Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I noticed I would spend alot of time above 5k, I'd burn some oil. How is your driving?
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                        I noticed I would spend alot of time above 5k, I'd burn some oil. How is your driving?
                        Over the 200 miles of ownership, I’d say 70% modest 30% spirited.

Comment

Just check in another 800 miles and see where it's at. Inspect your PCV and see if it's clogged or dirty. Any dips at idle?
                          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

S54 does not normally burn oil. 180k miles on mine, no oil burn.
                            2003 Carbon Black - Karbonious CSL intake, CSL DME w/MAP, SSV1 headers/Catted Section1/63.5mm Section2, Shrick 280/272 cams, Lang Racing Stage 1 cylinder head, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500#F/600#R), GC Sways, AutoSolutions SSK, Motorsport 3.91 rear diff, BBS RGR wheels, Streamline CSL front bumper

Comment

My engine @180k doesn't consume anything between oil change intervals using LM 10w-60. When I've tried other oils in the past I would notice consumption would start increasing to ~1L/OCI, even more so if I spent any time in the upper rev ranges.

Comment

Working...
                              X