Quietest and best performance exhaust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quietest and best performance exhaust.

Hey guys. I’ve had a Billy Boat tri flo exhaust on my car for a while now. I even modified the tips to give it a better look. I need a break from a louder boomy exhaust and would like something quieter.

Looking for recommendations on something not so loud and the least amount of drone but with good performance and preferably lightweight. I know the quieter Supersprint exhaust is only a tad bit lighter.

I may even go back to stock with modified euro tips if I can find one for sale with those tips.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
    Looking for recommendations on something not so loud and the least amount of drone but with good performance and preferably lightweight. I know the quieter Supersprint exhaust is only a tad bit lighter.
    there's two quiet versions of the supersprint, street and sport. I have the sport. I couldn't tell you the weight differences between the two, but my guess would be that the sport would be slightly lighter from less insulation or fewer passes inside the muffler. I wouldn't think performance difference between them is anything meaningful, and at least on my car it doesn't drone. I also have the CPI RTX rasp terminator and resonated supersprint resonated X pipe, but my car is very comfortable and drone free on long highway/freeway trips between 70-85mph. windows up and normal around town driving and you don't even really notice it, but that's partly because my evolve carbon airbox is prominent.

Comment

I have Dinan with the additional resonator. It’s fantastic.

Comment

The Dinan sounds great. Just so that OP is aware of aesthetics during operation, only one side is functional.

I am partial to the SCZA section 3 that StatusGruppe sells having bought it myself. Lots of packing material to absorb sound but still a flow through design; so its a quieter muffler. The weld are neat and the material is all 304 stainless. Lots of criticism among members here against wildly varying degrees of customer support for this vendor. Many probably grumble seeing this link but here ya go:

https://status-gruppe.myshopify.com/...fler-section-3

The stock exhaust does not fit your criteria for best performance.
        Last edited by jbfrancis3; 03-08-2021, 06:10 AM. Reason: typo
        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

IMO weight and volume are pretty directly proportional.

which is why, even though my car is <3100 lbs (with a half tank and no driver), I'm still running a ~stock weight muffler (SS Street).

In terms of drone elimination (different than volume), there's only 4 options:
          1) stock, stock weight
          2) SZCA (but made by status gruppe and hangs visually below the diffuser), -25 lbs
          3) Dinan (but tips only flow on passenger side and are black), -15 lbs, maybe flows the best of all options?
          4) SuperSprint Street (stock volume levels, which may or may not be good for what you want), -2 lbs

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            4) SuperSprint Street (stock volume levels, which may or may not be good for what you want), -2 lbs
            Can anyone comment on the SS Street vs Sport? Both tone and volume.
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
              IMO weight and volume are pretty directly proportional.

which is why, even though my car is <3100 lbs (with a half tank and no driver), I'm still running a ~stock weight muffler (SS Street).

In terms of drone elimination (different than volume), there's only 4 options:
              1) stock, stock weight
              2) SZCA (but made by status gruppe and hangs visually below the diffuser), -25 lbs
              3) Dinan (but tips only flow on passenger side and are black), -15 lbs, maybe flows the best of all options?
              The exception would be an amuse titanium exhaust or custom. 30lbs, no drone, not as loud as supersprint race.

Comment

The quietest, best performing sect 3 is stock
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  The quietest, best performing sect 3 is stock
                  I haven't seen any dyno testing comparing mufflers, but the SS Street is quieter than stock for sure. My can got noticeably quieter going from stock to the SS Street.

I'd especially like to see dyno testing of the Dinan and oversized SS, both on otherwise FBO cars (agreed there's no power to be gained with muffler on any otherwise stock car).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Your car got quieter from larger diameter piping I would guess. The stock muffler muffles very very well.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

FWIW: I have Stock Headers, Stock Sect1, Borla Sect2, and SS sport. Put around 30K miles on this setup, mostly highway. No drone and very quiet. I can easily listen to music and conversation at speed on the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Can anyone comment on the SS Street vs Sport? Both tone and volume.
                        I had a Supersprint Street. It's just a bit louder than stock and zero drone. Switched to Dixis and I'll never look back.
                        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

How about a modified stock exhaust as a budget friendly option? Weren't folks cutting it open and taking out the insulation?

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                            How about a modified stock exhaust as a budget friendly option? Weren't folks cutting it open and taking out the insulation?
                            time and cost required to do it right is not worth it. been there done that unless you enjoy tinkering (which I do).

Comment

I purchased a full SuperSprint system on Black Friday. I have the "new" 63.5 mm system headers, w/ the resonator, race cats, and a SPORT muffler. The tone is excellent, and there is a noticeable performance gain on the butt-dyno, but I have no data to back that up. I went with the sports muffler, so I cannot tell you the difference the street may offer. My car is gutted, so exhaust noise is important to me (I know that is counterintuitive) and the system I have is almost the exact same volume as the stock system, with a slightly "deeper tone." The system is heavier than I expected, but I am happy with it. If it is absolute pure performance you want I could make an argument that the lightest system would be the best, as shedding weight on this car has noticeable performance increases, but, people will tell you in theory that 10lbs on our cars is equal to 1 horsepower gain in terms of power/weight ratio. Theoretically.
                              Last edited by Fresh1179; 03-08-2021, 02:49 PM.
                              2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                              [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Working...
                              X