Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Recommendations for Rear Subframe and Differential Bushings: OE and Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jojo View Post
    Is everyone recommending OE rubber for the front and rear diff bushings? (Car will be street driven- compliance is a priority). If so, any way to replace the rear rubber without having to buy a whole new cover?
    Yes and you can press in e36 diff bushings.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Yes and you can press in e36 diff bushings.
      Keep in mind that E36 bushings are softer than OEM.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by jojo View Post
        Is everyone recommending OE rubber for the front and rear diff bushings? (Car will be street driven- compliance is a priority). If so, any way to replace the rear rubber without having to buy a whole new cover?
        Yes.

no.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I've had sufficient time behind the wheel and I have to say thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction where the rear end is concerned. The car drives fantastic. No increase in NVH with the solids.

1. CMP solid subframe bushings
          2. CMP monoball RTABs
          3. Ground Control monoball lower ARCAs
          4. New OE diff cover
          5. Four new OE ball joints
          6. OE upper control arm bushings
          7. Moved to 3.91 gears

Of note is that the CMP subframe raising bushings did in fact raise the car approximately .2 to .3 inches (5mm to 7mm). I forgot to measure the exact amount before I set the ride height (I'm running GC street coilovers).
          Last edited by oceansize; 01-20-2021, 06:03 AM.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Has anyone used the Partsshopmax solid bushings? They claim to have be able to raise the subframe to account for chassis reinforcement plates.

Configurable solid bushing set has the ability to correct the control arm angle and CV joint angle on lowered cars by raising the subframe up against the

I have a set of RevShift poly bushings I ordered a few years back, but after reading threads here was considering returning them for some solid bushings.

Comment

Of note is that the CMP subframe raising bushings did in fact raise the car approximately .75 to 1.0 inch (19 to 25mm). I forgot to measure the exact amount before I set the ride height (I'm running GC street coilovers).
              You're running rear subframe reinforcement plates, correct?
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by mscott7426 View Post
                Has anyone used the Partsshopmax solid bushings? They claim to have be able to raise the subframe to account for chassis reinforcement plates.

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...ct-description
                No experience whatsoever with that brand, but CMP does raise the subframe as well to account for that. Makes sense why, and the CMP website has informative write-ups if you want to find out more.

Comment

I've had sufficient time behind the wheel and I have to say thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction where the rear end is concerned. The car drives fantastic. No increase in NVH with the solids.

1. CMP solid subframe bushings
                  2. CMP monoball RTABs
                  3. Ground Control monoball lower ARCAs
                  4. New OE diff cover
                  5. Four new OE ball joints
                  6. OE upper control arm bushings
                  7. Moved to 3.91 gears

Of note is that the CMP subframe raising bushings did in fact raise the car approximately .75 to 1.0 inch (19 to 25mm). I forgot to measure the exact amount before I set the ride height (I'm running GC street coilovers).
                  Glad to hear you're happy with the setup! It really does transform the way these older cars handle.

I am surprised to hear that your ride height changed by almost an inch. The subframe is only moved up ~8mm from memory (- the reinforcement plate thickness) which imagining the spring as a pivot, should only change the ride height at the wheel by 5mm (1/5") given the spring is down 2/3 the length of the arm.

Did you change anything else such as the spring pads? I have seen the old bushings be deformed several mm once you drop the subframe so that may have contributed to.

On a side note, I'm starting to work on an adjustable camber arm of my own that utilises the same OEM ball joint as the factory CSL arms (same as in the RTA) as many people who do run stock ride height have asked if I also sell adjustable arms. Probably months away but putting it out there.

Originally posted by mscott7426 View Post

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...ct-description

I have a set of RevShift poly bushings I ordered a few years back, but after reading threads here was considering returning them for some solid bushings.

Doing my best not to be a biased opinion, I've heard questionable things about the fitment of PSM bushings (on many models not just E46) and have a tendency to be so loose in the bush bores they just fall out. This can lead to the subframe slipping up and down on the bushings which is not what you want.

They have acknowledged this and suggest using an epoxy adhesive to try glue them into place. "Slip fit is easy to install in the garage without a press but may require epoxy if theres any loose tolerances in your subframe."

They are cheap but that seems consistent with the entire design and manufacture of their bushings being solid.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieE46M3 View Post

Doing my best not to be a biased opinion, I've heard questionable things about the fitment of PSM bushings (on many models not just E46) and have a tendency to be so loose in the bush bores they just fall out. This can lead to the subframe slipping up and down on the bushings which is not what you want.

They have acknowledged this and suggest using an epoxy adhesive to try glue them into place. "Slip fit is easy to install in the garage without a press but may require epoxy if theres any loose tolerances in your subframe."

They are cheap but that seems consistent with the entire design and manufacture of their bushings being solid.
                    Yep, one of the guys I know just put his car back together with these and he had to epoxy one in. He also noted how since the bushings are solid they're insanely heavy - he ended up drilling a bunch of holes akin to what CMP and other manufacturers have already implemented in their designs

Comment

On a side note, I'm starting to work on an adjustable camber arm of my own that utilises the same OEM ball joint as the factory CSL arms (same as in the RTA) as many people who do run stock ride height have asked if I also sell adjustable arms. Probably months away but putting it out there.
                      Do you feel any need to engineer in the “collapse in event of failure” nature of the OE arms? I’ve always been curious about losing that with going to solid, aftermarket arms.

Also, any plans for a US distributor?

Comment

I am surprised to hear that your ride height changed by almost an inch. The subframe is only moved up ~8mm from memory (- the reinforcement plate thickness) which imagining the spring as a pivot, should only change the ride height at the wheel by 5mm (1/5") given the spring is down 2/3 the length of the arm.
                        You are correct, in the end after completely settling it was a minimal amount and I should have updated my post to reflect that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_P View Post
                          But once you add their VAT and shipping they get a bit pricey
                          One thing I can tell you that is somewhat confusing is that, on product page, you can change the currency selector at the top right to show you approx price of the product in USD, however, when you start checking out and you are in cart, everything is shown in AUD. AUD shorthand symbol is also "$". So in reality once you are in cart and checking out, you should take about 75% of the numbers you see, since 1 AUD ~0.75 USD.
                          At the very bottom of the cart, the grand total row has the prefix "AUD" right in front of the total value, however all the other line items show "$" (still Australian though). After you factor in the proper currency conversion at checkout, I can tell you that prices are approx the same as US distributors, but you are supporting someone who contributes to the community.

AussieE46M3 Cayn, might be worth fixing and making more prominent whether numbers are Australin or US dollars, so that folks don't get scared and abandon the cart...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Yeah, E9X front tension arm bushings shipped to WA is AUD$400, which comes out to $308.84. SDW's version shipped for free from FCP (but with WA's 10.1% tax) is $291.50. So within ballpark.

Comment

I have the CMP Solid Subframe Bushings and OE Rubber Diff bushings. Ride seems a bit tighter and firmer but not uncomfortable.

I think my GC Coilovers are shit and since i replaced the shocks on them the whole suspension system became so stiff.

Comment

Thanks for the further comments on the PSM bushes.

Comment

Working...
                                X