Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone that has the AS "Auto X" SSK for for car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone that has the AS "Auto X" SSK for for car?

I've had the 20% "Ultra" for 5 years now and love it to death. Ronald said told me about a year ago that this is more towards the positive feel of a race gear box.

Can anyone comment on the feel? what throw % did you get etc?

Thanks in advance guys

I have it. I think it's 25% (I basically told Ronald to just build me what he put on his own car). I don't have any experience with the original version or the different throws. In that context I love it. Very mechanical feel, but not notchy. I've had it for a couple years now and it still feels about the same.

I suspect most would have the same impression of the standard AS SSK though, so I don't know what the comparison is like.

Comment

I’m with Terra, I have it also and it is magical. Feels so precise, yet still retains a nice OEM feel. It’s been one of my favorite upgrades done to the car. I haven’t compared it to the standard Autosolutions either, so if you already have that it may not be worth switching unless you just want to give it a shot. All I know is it’s perfect in my opinion!

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
      2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Has anyone run an autosolutions 0% reduction with ZHP knob. PO of my car put a UUC evo3 in it and in combination with the ZHP knob its a pretty notchy mess tbh. Tempted to change it to AS but worried a 20% reduction with ZHP knob will feel similar to what I've got, high effort and way too notchy, but maybe 0% will be too long of a throw compared to what I'm used to.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
          I’m with Terra, I have it also and it is magical. Feels so precise, yet still retains a nice OEM feel. It’s been one of my favorite upgrades done to the car. I haven’t compared it to the standard Autosolutions either, so if you already have that it may not be worth switching unless you just want to give it a shot. All I know is it’s perfect in my opinion!
          yeah I need to know compared to the regular Ultimate kit but it’s very tempting based on what I’m hearing

Comment

I have the autocross ~22% kit. I installed with the smg swap, so have no frame of reference to what oem is supposed to feel. I’d say its a bit notchy however. 2nd 3rd gear is the one where I have the least confidence. This could be due to needing to break-in. The good is that the shifts itself paired with the zhp knob don’t require much pressure/strength to get in gear.

Compared to the long and vague throws of my 323i ~20 years ago, its much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok - hmmmmmm - notchy, yet still precise?

Comment

I’m actually most concerned with track use and accuracy

Comment

Originally posted by LeeForst View Post
                  I find it less notchy than stock. That's not to say it's low effort - definitely requires some force to get it into the gate. But it doesn't have that crunch I grew accustomed to. Accuracy has got to be up there. It's basically a 100% metal design. Whatever slop remains is inherent to the transmission itself.

But if track use is what you're going for, maybe one of the external shifters would suit your needs? I've always been intrigued by the RTD shifters

Comment

Originally posted by LeeForst View Post
                    Sorry. Bad description

Its like if you’re not exact on positioning, you hit a wall, and have to redo. The gear doesn’t just slide into the correct placement anyway. This really mostly happens with the diagonal shifts for me. The back and forth shifts are pretty easy to engage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've shifted both.

The AX kit is good for cars that are being driven with some focus. It's very precise as is the standard kit is, but it reduces some effort from a standard kit.

I prefer the heavier/less slick shift since I'm not using my car like that always.

It's also an area that will need to be greased often.

And Ron doesn't really do custom kits with the AX kit, I believe its a 15 or 25 percent reduc.
                      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                      2005 BMW ///M3
                      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                        And Ron doesn't really do custom kits with the AX kit, I believe its a 15 or 25 percent reduc.
                        Ron made a custom autocross shifter for me (his idea actually). I reached out with some questions about the shifter and we ended up just designing one based on a couple measurements I had in mind.
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Had mine installed for thirteen years, still solid and precise. Not sure but I think 30% reduction but it's his original shifter. I think it was called Ultra or Ultimate. Best mod I've done and has required no maintenance. Perfect for me with stock shift knob.

I bought my car new and replaced the shifter at 13,000 miles. Stock shifter was vague and imprecise IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                            He told me he could do anything from 3 - 30% for the AX kit with any lever height I wanted. And he also noted that he could possibly do more than 30%, just that he hadn't tried to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotchkess
                              I know this is a slightly old thread, but I figured I'd post my experience. I had the AS Auto X shifter installed to complete my SMG to stick conversion. I've only put about a couple hundred miles on it so far, but first impressions are it feels pretty notchy, almost like it takes force to get it into each gear, and it's not a smooth process. It doesn't feel like it wants to glide into place when shifting, and I've found myself mis-shifting when trying to downshift. The shifter itself also came in a little dirty straight out of the box, almost like it had been used and taken out of a previous car before being shipped out to me. There was a fair amount of dirt and grit layered around the base of the shift rod, and there was even a small piece of grass hiding on the bottom of the shifter as well.

With all of this being said, there could be a multitude of things that could be causing the notchiness I'm feeling. But I figured I'd just throw out my experience with it so far. Worth the $600? As of right now no.
                              What knob are you using? Mine was kinda notchy and harder to shift but has gotten better with usage. You need to shift 800-1000+ times to get it broken in.
                              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Working...
                              X