Misfiring On All Cylinders Only After Idling for a While

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giOsaurus rEx View Post
    Car runs fine when I unplug the brand new MAF..
    Something causing the bad mixture of fuel/air, and unplug the MAF forced the DME to use opened-loop control (ignore the O2 sensor signals) and so engine ran richer but smooth.

Comment

id rule out the egt. Youre probably only seeing a code for it due to a lean condition- which points back to what sapote says above
      2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Have you done a leakdown or compression test?A blown headgasket between the cylinders throws the same misfire CEL. It happens to some with lower mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
          Something causing the bad mixture of fuel/air, and unplug the MAF forced the DME to use opened-loop control (ignore the O2 sensor signals) and so engine ran richer but smooth.
          So sounds like the pre-cat O2s need to be replaced then? Or should both pre-cat and post-cat O2 sensors be replaced?

Originally posted by Halftim3 View Post
          Have you done a leakdown or compression test?A blown headgasket between the cylinders throws the same misfire CEL. It happens to some with lower mileage.
          No I haven't. I'm talking to the shop whose done a lot of work for me about this. It isn't throwing any lights on the dash, just codes when I scan with a ECS Tuning Foxwell scanner. If it is the head gasket, wouldn't it misfire regardless of unplugging the MAF? My oil doesn't look milky and I'm not losing any coolant from the reservoir.

Comment

Get a leakdown test. Maybe your head gasket is only blown between cylinder 1 and 2 that's why it isn't misfiring that bad?
            Not sure, but yes I believe it would misfire regardless of unplugging the MAF.
            I didn't have milky oil or coolant in the cylinders when mine blew and it blew between cylinder 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 4 and 5, and 5 and 6. The gasket is thin in between the cylinders is the reason they blow, but mine only started having the CEL at 209k. It also had the CEL come on after idling a few minutes. I've done some research on it and on another forum someone blew as early as 50-60k miles.
            Last edited by Halftim3; 04-27-2021, 11:25 AM.

Comment

So sounds like the pre-cat O2s need to be replaced then? Or should both pre-cat and post-cat O2 sensors be replaced?.
              No, it's too early to think this is due to bad O2 sensor.
              I suggest to use a diag tool, i.e. OBD Fusion, which can log all of the sensors data when the issue shows up. With the detail log data we can get to the root cause faster.

Comment

So I'm not sure which sensors I should be tracking, but I was messing around with the Schwaben scanner and recorded this.

O2 sensors pre-cat graph during normal idle:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9548.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	102947

O2 sensors pre-cat graph during misfiring:

Name:	IMG_9549.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	102948

Few sensors during normal idle:

Name:	IMG_9550.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	102949

Few sensors during misfire:

Name:	IMG_9551.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	102950

Comment

Did you ever resolve the issue?

Comment

So I'm not sure which sensors I should be tracking, but I was messing around with the Schwaben scanner and recorded this.

O2 sensors pre-cat graph during normal idle:
                    I didn't followed this thread due to a time gap. But it's pretty useless to show a snap shot of the O2 voltages and the STFT. These data should be logged for at least 30 sec with one sample per second. Also include the LTFT. The MAF unit should be in gram/sec as LBS is too low resolution to tell a difference off bad vs good.

Comment

Working...
                    X