If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

I was wondering if we ever had to replace our e46 M3 what would you choose !

ps: I am looking to sale or replace my e46 M3 . I am just wondering

997.2 GT3.

But that's not without tradeoff-- suddenly I need a trailer to go to/from the track, and the back seat is useful for a very short window of time for the kid.

Realistically, I wouldn't replace it. It's everything I want in a car. Reasonable weight (especially mine), amazing instant response high revving engine, reliable, easy to work on, good steering feel, good chassis balance fun at non suicidal speeds, kid fits in the back, or 4 track tires fit in the back, small enough to play within your lane on a back road, spectacular sound (CSL airbox), reasonably cheap to run, manual trans, RWD with an LSD. There's nothing that checks all my boxes nearly as well.

With a decade of FCP use, it basically just costs tires and gas to run... and it's not even that hard on gas or tires.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Well our Ms are really a one-off car. The best way to put this together is to write down what you like about the car. And then look for cars with similar traits.
      For me, it's top-down experience, engine noise, relative go-kart handling, nice clunky manual trans, dash layout, cabin feel. I think the M240 is similar but would need larger, wider wheels, bit better suspension, engine intake mods, exhaust mods and tune to be as fun. It feel like it had a soy diet though.

Comment

CLK 63Cabrio, S63 Cabrio, or Bentley GTC Speed... this is obviously no track car experience for me... athletic 4 seater convertible.

maw
        Last edited by maw1124; 04-11-2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

In the same boat, just listed mine (finally). If it sells for what I want I'd like to get into a GT350 or a V8 Vantage 6spd.

A C63 Coupe, Gran Turismo, Quadrifoglio and M4 are options too but they all have their short comings. The first three are auto only and the M4 has just had sh*t reviews all around so no good and only one is NA but too slow. I would not want to sacrifice a high revving NA motor, just too much character to give up. The GT350 hits all the marks, the V8 vantage is just too pretty to say no too and has a great motor in its own right.
          That naturally leads to the next question, what price range? In the 20k range nothing can replace the M3 tbh and even in the 40k range, it is hard to top which I am noticing more as I look for something else.
          GT3 is obvious but substantailly more expensive.
          Last edited by Icecream; 04-11-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I like the idea of replacing my M3 for a different car and it’s something I’ve contemplated for a long time and I don’t think I’ll ever sell my car but if I had to I would buy a Foxbody Mustang again. I had a ‘91 GT and it was such a great car that I’ve been itching to buy another one. It had a cam, heads, full exhaust, upper and lower intake, you name it. It was such a raw driving experience, no abs or traction control and shifting was notchy but felt satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
              In the same boat, just listed mine (finally). If it sells for what I want I'd like to get into a GT350 or a V8 Vantage 6spd.

A C63 Coupe, Gran Turismo, Quadrifoglio and M4 are options too but they all have their short comings. The first three are auto only and the M4 has just had sh*t reviews all around so no good and only one is NA but too slow. I would not want to sacrifice a high revving NA motor, just too much character to give up. The GT350 hits all the marks, the V8 vantage is just too pretty to say no too and has a great motor in its own right.
              That naturally leads to the next question, what price range? In the 20k range nothing can replace the M3 tbh and even in the 40k range, it is hard to top which I am noticing more as I look for something else.
              GT3 is obvious but substantailly more expensive.
              I feel like the GT350 is good for a couple drives.... but over time the hugeness and weight of it would annoy me on backroads, the useless back seat and trunk would mean I drove it less often and had to trailer to/from the track, and the general crappiness of the interior would grate on me.

... but the engine is spectacular. I've been thinking about building a Factory 5 Type 63 R, and using that motor, recently.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

This would require a large increase to budget but a 991.2 GT3. Manual, 9k redline, almost 500hp, yes please.
                '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

997.2 GT3 RS. But I'm not looking to sell my M3...

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I feel like the GT350 is good for a couple drives.... but over time the hugeness and weight of it would annoy me on backroads, the useless back seat and trunk would mean I drove it less often and had to trailer to/from the track, and the general crappiness of the interior would grate on me.

... but the engine is spectacular. I've been thinking about building a Factory 5 Type 63 R, and using that motor, recently.
                    I feel like you are right and I am concerned about those things too tbh but I can always sell it hopefully without a big loss since prices look fairly stable atm. Like you said, the engine is spectacular but I have heard its chassis is about as good. And yes, dropping the voodoo into something like that would be epic!

Comment

993 911, UR Quattro coupe, f355 or Lancia Integrale

Comment

ND2 Miata or S2000 maybe. I rented a NC1 Miata for a week one time on vacation and even though that’s the real bastard child apparently, the driving experience on public roads was more fun than the E46. Super lightweight, not too much power, excellent pedals, gearbox and steering, and top down driving was better than I expected it to be (first convertible experience for me)

I never forgot that and actually just bought a 2021 Miata soft top that I have yet to pick up from the dealer The M3 isn’t going anywhere though, it’s too special in other ways and a different experience.

Comment

It would have to be a porsche. Nothing bmw makes is worth bothering with, nevermind being awful looking. Pricewise, they arent really in the same boat, but the porsches seem to have the reliability down. Hopefully i have many more years to go before i have to figure this out

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post
                            It would have to be a porsche. Nothing bmw makes is worth bothering with, nevermind being awful looking. Pricewise, they arent really in the same boat, but the porsches seem to have the reliability down. Hopefully i have many more years to go before i have to figure this out
                            I quite enjoyed the M2C when I drove it at the BMW performance center. Fun car and not bad looking at all either IMO. I wouldn’t say no to one down the line, but realistically I probably have my last “forever” ICE vehicles (the Miata, E46 and E39 M5)

Plenty of guys on Rennlist using an M2 as their daily with great things to say about it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

I quite enjoyed the M2C when I drove it at the BMW performance center. Fun car and not bad looking at all either IMO. I wouldn’t say no to one down the line, but realistically I probably have my last “forever” ICE vehicles (the Miata, E46 and E39 M5)

Plenty of guys on Rennlist using an M2 as their daily with great things to say about it as well.
                              That car just doesnt do much for me. Its ok, but if im spending $60K, i am gonna need more than ok. Everytime i see my M in the garage, i am struck by how good looking it is. The M2 doenst even come close to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X