No announcement yet.

If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferrari F430. But not without some caveats. I could drive my e46 m3 without a hint of hesitation on any given day or purpose. The F430 however would require some hesitation much hesitation. Too much of everything imo to simply enjoy a car

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	05-car.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	98195

a low mileage 03 LMB, preferably on caramel interior.
      Attached Files
      2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
      2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

91 NSX in Formula Red. Yes I’m aware of the snap ring situation
        Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Porsche 718 Spyder, 718 Cayman GT4, or some flavor of C8 corvette.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
            Click image for larger version  Name:	05-car.jpg Views:	12 Size:	215.0 KB ID:	98195
            My buddy has an ‘03 E39M, carbon black over cinnamon with extended leather that he’s had for almost 15 years... great car but I’ll take the drop top.

maw

Comment

Looking to list my e46 m3 on BAT. Would replace with a Audi R8. If anyone is interested in a jet black 2005 m3 with 50k kms manual transmission, pm me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                Click image for larger version  Name:	05-car.jpg Views:	12 Size:	215.0 KB ID:	98195

I have had an LMB e39 M5 for the last ~decade... and it’s no where near the driving experience of the e46 M3. 600 lbs heavier, worse steering (though not EPS bad), less rewarding engine, sloppy handling (way more comfort oriented). It’s really good at what it is, but in no way is it an M3 replacement.

... it is a nice M3 complement 😜

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post
                  91 NSX in Formula Red. Yes I’m aware of the snap ring situation
                  This. I had a 91 red on ivory that I bought for $24k with 76k I the odometer. I tracked it for a year'ish and sold it. Regret it every day.

If I couldn't swing a 996 or 997 GT3, or 6MT F360 or 430, I'd get an ND2 Miata. Rented an ND1 Club in San Jose and it was one of the best driving experiences of my life. It left such an impression that I bought an auto ND1 for my wife to daily.

So that's a short list of 6. The Miata would fall last, but the rest may as well be a roll of the dice.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

I mean if we are talking F430 level cars here then I wouldn't kick a Gallardo off the list but I though we were trying to be civil. Safe to say I would take an F430 over a GT3 much less the M3 lol. Fuck it, if skies the limit add the LF-A. Ford GT and a McLaren to the list.

Comment

I also just acquired an E39 M5 to complement my E46. It's more enjoyable on the highway and around city streets perhaps but the E46 is more rewarding to drive hard. The E39 does of course destroys it in exhaust note dept.

I've been eyeing C6 Z06s. I don't think it'll replace the E46 but they're my favorite Vettes.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I have had an LMB e39 M5 for the last ~decade... and it’s no where near the driving experience of the e46 M3. 600 lbs heavier, worse steering (though not EPS bad), less rewarding engine, sloppy handling (way more comfort oriented). It’s really good at what it is, but in no way is it an M3 replacement.

... it is a nice M3 complement 😜
                        Op merely asked about "replacement". That doesn't necessarily mean it has to drive the same. The E39 M is the closest thing... similar exterior body language, very similar interiors and drop dead gorgeous in LMB. I don't even care how it drives. I just want one in my garage as an ornament. I'll take a clean title sub 50k 03 LMB on caramel or M texture over any E46 M3 in existence today.
                        2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                        2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

I have an M5 already but it doesn't do it.

997.1 GT3 RS, 718 GT4, CTSV Wagon with a lot of mods.
                          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                          2005 BMW ///M3
                          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
                            I mean if we are talking F430 level cars here then I wouldn't kick a Gallardo off the list but I though we were trying to be civil. Safe to say I would take an F430 over a GT3 much less the M3 lol. Fuck it, if skies the limit add the LF-A. Ford GT and a McLaren to the list.
                            Money really is the issue. Everything I view as a massive improvement, whether we are talking aesthetics or performance, is not something I can realistically afford (with a few exceptions like a C8 corvette but at heart I'm just not a corvette guy as I always think of jorts and white new balance sneakers) plus I really do love the design of our generation M3s whether coupe or convertible. I sit in the garage and stare at it from time to time for crying out loud. I don't go to the track which leaves day to day driving and at a certain point how much more power can I realistically enjoy on the street? I'm supercharged and I can barely push what I've got. I've got a modified last gen Focus ST (SSK, tune, larger intercooler, exhaust, coilovers, slightly stiffer motor mounts, recaros, better steering wheel, etc. etc.) and the dumb little car is stupid fun and I can actually push it a bit more on the plentiful backroads around where I live. I have access to a couple of relatively high end sports cars and they satisfy certain itches I have from time to time.

So now anything stupid expensive is really just me flexing and spending money I shouldn't. I've driven almost everything under a 100k I consider worthwhile and I always come back to what am I going to do with it? Maybe where I'm going to turn 50 I just have too much sense, I don't know. I've driven so many cool cars and then I can't pull the trigger as I know it really isn't going to do much for me enjoyment wise. Plus I really did purchase my M3 as a project car and I think I actually enjoy the projects more than I do anything else. I knew nothing about BMWs when I bought my M3 (I lurked the old forum for a good while) and I've enjoyed it all because I'm never in a hurry since it isn't my daily. When I'm done I drop the tools where I'm at and do something else. In the end I think what I really want is a coupe M3 to go with my convertible but the right one hasn't come along as I've come to the conclusion I can't buy a car I can't drive (and put on a lift) and I'm not driving more than a 50 or 60 miles to pick it up. So I'm patient and meanwhile I've got a rear wheel driving high revving suns out tops down noise maker that I enjoy.
                            Last edited by oceansize; 04-11-2021, 04:46 PM.
                            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by newton22 View Post

I've been eyeing C6 Z06s.
                              It's probably just me, but ever time I sit in a Vet, I feel like I'm reclined back in a lawn chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
                                I think the real issue with the Italian type cars, for this conversation, is that you can’t drive them any significant amount of miles without... TONS of money.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                                X