No announcement yet.

If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I replied to this thread when it was new, but today if I had to replace the e46 for a somewhat daily/around town car that passes the same vibe check, I would look for an early 996 with the factory aero. For a track car I would look at an e36 M3 or maybe just like a BRZ or something cheaper and easy to run.
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

997 of any variety, doesn’t have to be a GT3, they’re all incredibly good.

E46 M3 is a better DD and has more room for stuff, but the 997 is more pure when it comes to sports car activities.

Comment

My car has a rollcage so it gets trailered. It is pretty light and a lot of fun but sometimes I really question whether its worth the effort.

My next track car will either be a new 911 or E9X M3. Something I can drive to/from the track. I lean towards a new 911 because how many 911s do you see actually have an issue at the track? I honestly can't think of one that I've seen.

The one thing that keeps me holding onto the E46 is running costs. It is really low cost to run. I get about 6-7 mpg, tires last 4-5 weekends and brakes up to 10-12 weekends.
        Last edited by bigjae46; 05-14-2023, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
          My car has a rollcage so it gets trailered. It is pretty light and a lot of fun but sometimes I really question whether its worth the effort.

My next track car will either be a new 911 or E9X M3. Something I can drive to/from the track. I lean towards a new 911 because how many 911s do you see actually have an issue at the track? I honestly can't think of one that I've seen.

The one thing that keeps me holding onto the E46 is running costs. It is really low cost to run. I get about 6-7 mpg, tires last 4-5 weekends and brakes up to 10-12 weekends.
          996s, 986s, 997s, and 987s have an issue with engines popping at the track. The DI engine upgrade didn't do much to 991s, 718s, and 981s have auto trans issues. 992s are too new to know truly yet. I've seen a few 991 GT3s get engines due to the DLC coating on the cams. It's a real coating, not like is advertised for our cams. The brakes will be twice as expensive, BeCaUsE pOrScHe, and go just as fast, if not faster. You probably don't need to upgrade the brakes which may balance out cost. Stock BMW brakes suck in general compared to Porsche. You can't do internal work yourself or you need thousands of dollars in special tools alone. Porsche Workshop Manual is not as reliable or as available as BMWs Repair Instructions.

My point is you will be investing significantly more money into a less reliable platform with less flexibility. If you think it's worth it and have the money, then go for it. I can almost guarantee a better track experience in almost an Porsche sports car. This is just my experience to give you another data point in helping you decide.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

997.2 GTS or Lotus Evora 400 for me

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

996s, 986s, 997s, and 987s have an issue with engines popping at the track. The DI engine upgrade didn't do much to 991s, 718s, and 981s have auto trans issues. 992s are too new to know truly yet. I've seen a few 991 GT3s get engines due to the DLC coating on the cams. It's a real coating, not like is advertised for our cams. The brakes will be twice as expensive, BeCaUsE pOrScHe, and go just as fast, if not faster. You probably don't need to upgrade the brakes which may balance out cost. Stock BMW brakes suck in general compared to Porsche. You can't do internal work yourself or you need thousands of dollars in special tools alone. Porsche Workshop Manual is not as reliable or as available as BMWs Repair Instructions.

My point is you will be investing significantly more money into a less reliable platform with less flexibility. If you think it's worth it and have the money, then go for it. I can almost guarantee a better track experience in almost a Porsche sports car. This is just my experience to give you another data point in helping you decide.
              BMW have their own problems. No car will be perfect but over the last 15 years Porsche’s seem to have far fewer issues.

Porsche’s and BMW M cars are the few cars that requires minimal or no mods to make a relatively reliable track car, at least used to be. I haven’t really been keeping up wit the newer cars, far less interesting to me.

I got to ride in the newest GT3, a 992? It practically turns itself. Why even bother with the driver at this point?

Back to reality - I’ll keep my E46 until it’s crashed or burned down. At that point, I’ll just stick to playing ice hockey as my hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech9 View Post
                At the crazy prices - the gap to an M2 isn't much. Tempting. I like the gen 1 M2, sounds better than the m3 motor.
                I bought a 2016 M2 6MT a few years back right after my ‘03.5 M3 got totaled — ended up selling the M2 within 6 months. Loved the way the car looked, but couldn’t stand how it drove and sounded. The sounds they make in sport mode and during cold starts were honestly embarrassing. Not to mention the automatic rev matching on downshifts in a 6MT car… very clear who BMW is marketing newer M cars to.

Comment

I've thought about this and I determined it would probably be a BRZ/FRS/GT86/GR86
                  "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                  ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Already did- E90 M3

CrisSilberGrau
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I have been contemplating letting go of an M3-cannot
                      ​decide between the 36 or 46-for a Z4 M Roadster. A very low mileage example is the same cost as a fairly high mileage m3. It is perhaps not as beautiful but just as interesting and cool looking. Stiffer chassis, less weight, all the late model m3 updates to differential, brakes, etc. Super rare with only 5,000 worldwide. That is lower production than the Ferrari 360, among other things. Practicality and track use aside, I like the idea. It strikes me as much more interesting than any Boxster short of the top of the line Spyder.

I have read the conflicting reports, but people who actually own them seem to be thrilled.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                        Already did- E90 M3

CrisSilberGrau
                        Good.

Tell us more.
                        2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
                          ​decide between the 36 or 46-for a Z4 M Roadster. A very low mileage example is the same cost as a fairly high mileage m3. It is perhaps not as beautiful but just as interesting and cool looking. Stiffer chassis, less weight, all the late model m3 updates to differential, brakes, etc. Super rare with only 5,000 worldwide. That is lower production than the Ferrari 360, among other things. Practicality and track use aside, I like the idea. It strikes me as much more interesting than any Boxster short of the top of the line Spyder.

I have read the conflicting reports, but people who actually own them seem to be thrilled.
                          That ZF trans sucks and it's still an S54 so every time you put the top down, you have to hear it even more.

Get a coupe and 420G swap it.
                          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                          2005 BMW ///M3
                          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Is the ZF really that bad? From what I read it is only the same first to second issues the 420g has a reputation for.

I don't mind the sound and want a convertible. I love that it is like a classic British-or BMW-roadster. I will still have the other M3 for the occasional HPDE anyway.
                            ​​​​​​
                            Not to mention the coupe is a good 25% higher in price and less fun on a nice day.
                            Last edited by 01SG; 05-15-2023, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
                              I've thought about this and I determined it would probably be a BRZ/FRS/GT86/GR86
                              Watch out for the torque dip...

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post

Friend of mine has one, drives differently, maybe quicker due to lower weight; shifter feels different? I think that the interior shows it's age more than the E46, what with the center info display being archaic and Bangle-ness of it all; E46 has no display, so no problem there. Roadsters appear to be worth somewhat less than the coupes; more room in the engine bay to work; I don't care for the long hood. Could be a good track toy?

Comment

Working...
                                X