If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
    Is the ZF really that bad? From what I read it is only the same first to second issues the 420g has a reputation for.

I don't mind the sound and want a convertible. I love that it is like a classic British-or BMW-roadster. I will still have the other M3 for the occasional HPDE anyway.
    ​​​​​​
    Not to mention the coupe is a good 25% higher in price and less fun on a nice day.
    I'm not sure what his experience is, but that ZF unit is known to be nicer to operate than the 420G. I'd certainly take it over the Getrag unit. And the Z4M has a different exhaust configuration which leads to less rasp/metallic sound. All stock, they sound better for those that don't particularly like the tinny sound of the M3.

Comment

Yeah I don't know that the transmission can be that bad. I also have a hunch that the problem is with the sensitive throttle and somewhat vague clutch rather than the transmissions themselves. Their issues are both described the same way.

I'm not sure of the regulations for convertibles on the track, but I want it primarily for the street anyway. The interior is not as pleasantly laid out as the e46, but it comes with better options, like carbon leather trim on the dash. There is also the full leather that covers the door panels, windshield trim, sun visors, and roll hoops. The center display was an option many do not have.

The long hood would take getting used to. I think a lot of people bust up the nose because of it. But the car is in actuality over a foot shorter in length than the e46. It is significantly smaller and lighter.

Comment

I responded before the thread was bumped but the answer is still pretty much the same, ND2 Miata. At the time I had one alongside my E46 and ended up selling it, couldn’t justify the expense and payment when I also had perfectly good paid off E39 and E46 M cars.

I’ve since added an NA Miata to the stable which is also great, but makes me a bit nervous. First gen airbags plus tiny car surrounded by big modern cars … despite its better steering and shifter, ignoring cost considerations I’d trade it for a newer one for safety alone.

Comment

I was just debating this topic with a friend of mine yesterday – I don't think I'll ever sell my car. I just love it so much. I've not driven anything like it and I don't think I will find something that comes close to it besides the e39 M5.

I think the ideal scenario is to have a daily + M3 for the weekend, and for me, my car enthusiast side is happy.
          - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

If I were to sell & get another vehicle, it would be an E90 M3 for sure.

I believe it is the perfect vehicle for all-around duty.

Comment

Love my E46 M3 'Vert, but if I had to buy something new it would probably be the GR86. I am actually contemplating dumping my X3 winter driver for a GR86 or MK7.5 GTI so I can have more fun in the snow

Comment

I love the Miata RF. They nailed the styling, and it still weighs less than 2500 pounds. Quite a few bucks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprp85 View Post
                  If I were to sell & get another vehicle, it would be an E90 M3 for sure.

I believe it is the perfect vehicle for all-around duty.
                  If you don’t care about fuel consumption. The E9x makes the E46 M3 seem fuel efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

I'm not sure what his experience is, but that ZF unit is known to be nicer to operate than the 420G. I'd certainly take it over the Getrag unit. And the Z4M has a different exhaust configuration which leads to less rasp/metallic sound. All stock, they sound better for those that don't particularly like the tinny sound of the M3.
                    Possible getrag made some compromises for a better shifting experience at high load/rpm on these as well as durability. Anytime I'm full attack mode the car seems to shift perfect and feels great and generally speaking, they are bullet proof. Not sure how well the ZF holds up to track abuse. Just something to consider. If mine ever gives out I'd probably try and go ZF just so I know I can rebuild it and because I liked the 5spd in the S52 m coupe quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X