If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I think the real issue with the Italian type cars, for this conversation, is that you can’t drive them any significant amount of miles without... TONS of money.
    GT3's ain't cheap to operate either. However much cheaper than the Italian counterparts.
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 BMW ///M3
    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post
      It's probably just me, but ever time I sit in a Vet, I feel like I'm reclined back in a lawn chair.
      When I sit in a vet, I can either, reach the peddles or, I can see over the dash. Can’t do both.

........ I’m only 5’2

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
        I mean if we are talking F430 level cars here then I wouldn't kick a Gallardo off the list but I though we were trying to be civil. Safe to say I would take an F430 over a GT3 much less the M3 lol. Fuck it, if skies the limit add the LF-A. Ford GT and a McLaren to the list.
        HAHA fair enough but you can also take that as a testimony of my love for the e46m3. Its simply a sweet spot that is hard to replace. Having a super car like the f430 is a compromise no matter how you see it. We love the e46 exactly for that reason and there realistically isnt many options to replace it

Comment

Originally posted by erickhoyos View Post
          I like the idea of replacing my M3 for a different car and it’s something I’ve contemplated for a long time and I don’t think I’ll ever sell my car but if I had to I would buy a Foxbody Mustang again. I had a ‘91 GT and it was such a great car that I’ve been itching to buy another one. It had a cam, heads, full exhaust, upper and lower intake, you name it. It was such a raw driving experience, no abs or traction control and shifting was notchy but felt satisfying.
          I too had one but mine was a 1987. I freaking loved it, well expect going over bumps in the rain on an exit ramp and the solid rear-end would cause you to poot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post

When I sit in a vet, I can either, reach the peddles or, I can see over the dash. Can’t do both.

........ I’m only 5’2
            At least that means you can fit into an NSX/Miata/Elise/etc. At 6’4, I really can’t (well, Elise is fine once I’m in... but the getting in is rough). With the roof on, I can’t fit in an s2000, any gen Miata, or NSX 😔

That is one of the reasons I’m so excited about the T.43. Gordon Murray is 6’4, so I have legit hope I’ll fit in it!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210410_091805~3.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	98267
              A match made in heaven.... If you got the funds, do it and don't look back. This one is sitting at 11k miles so maybe find one with more miles to bring the price under $300k. The E46 and the 997 are literally the best driving cars in my opinion. The E46 needs some upgrades to be good, the Porsche is great stock. I would definitely advise getting a 997 if you get the opportunity.
              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I would replace it with another
                e46 m3...barring those are unattainable, a f80,e90, e36 or e30 m3. I pledged allegiance to M3 for life a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I think the real issue with the Italian type cars, for this conversation, is that you can’t drive them any significant amount of miles without... TONS of money.
                  Not only that but id feel pretty bad about loading 100k miles on those, even GT3 is something I'd weekend only. Not crazy about doing that to a vantage or gt350 but more reasonable. This thread reminds me why it took so long to liat my car. Maybe I should up the price .

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                    Plus I really did purchase my M3 as a project car and I think I actually enjoy the projects more than I do anything else.
                    This is exactly why I would just go out and buy another E46 M3 if anything ever happened to mine. The only (realistic) car I'd replace it with is a GT3. But I don't think I would be out in the garage messing with it as much as I do with the M3, which is half of the fun.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

997 Turbo or Carrera 4S.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

This is exactly why I would just go out and buy another E46 M3 if anything ever happened to mine. The only (realistic) car I'd replace it with is a GT3. But I don't think I would be out in the garage messing with it as much as I do with the M3, which is half of the fun.
                        Actually working on 911s can be just as rewarding. It's just different being a flat engine rear mounted.
                        You spend a lot more time underneath it 😅

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

GT3s have really been inflating lately. I remember when a 991 GT3 was $80k to 120k. Not anymore. A GT4 is a cheaper option. Those are more reasonably price and are almost just as quick. Their cornering ability is slightly more, they just need some mods for horsepower
                          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Have wanted a Gen 3 Viper for quite a while. Tough sell as the back seats are fairly necessary with 2 kids who love cars and always want to come along for rides......

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

This.
                              I swear as of late working on the M3 has been more fun then driving it sometimes which may be a terrible thing to say but it keeps my mind occupied thinking about it which I like.
                              My dad has a 2004 996 GT3, since his ownership the engine has come out twice, the second time it was for some type vacuum line check valve deal, simply an access issue.
                              At the dealership in Omaha, NE they sent one of their techs to a school out of state before they would pull the engine, that is just crazy. The GT3 does not of course share the same engine as other 996 911's so that makes owning one cool but also if things go bad your screwed money wise and we don't have a lot of that to throw around.
                              I want to say only about 500 2004 996 GT3's are even in the US, could be wrong.
                              But for me it would have to be something I could work on myself and parts would have to be relatively easy to get a hold of.
                              I like the idea and looks of some of the Japanese cars (Supra/Skyline/RX) and with forced induction, that could be a DIY'ers dream as you could just keep going, but I am hooked on this German stuff.

If we are talking not stupid expensive, maybe a C5 Z06, seems like those can be built up fairly easily/inexpensively. But me in a vet, I just can't see it.
                              944 LS swapped..maybe.
                              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                              Instagram

Comment

My younger brother was the one who sold me the e46 m3 I have. He replaced it with a C5 corvette. I know he likes the exhaust note and being in something different, but he has commented on the cheaper interior. I think the cheaper maintenance/mod cost on the c5 is probably a pro.

With that being said, I don't see a car out there I'd rather have at my budget. If I had to replace the m3 and the market was over $20k for a decent one I would consider buying a miata and supercharging it. I sold my NB to fund the m3 purchase. I actually missed it a lot at first. The exhaust note is really the major shortcoming of it for me. The shifter is what I loved about it.

I have on a couple of occasions thought that I'd be better off having the n54 335 or 135i single turbod in place of my 535i and m3. My 535i feels like a boat around corners, but I'm not sure if the e9x is much better. The maintenance cost on those could be slightly higher than the e46 m3, but the subframe doesn't have to be welded on those at least. They are starting to look dated though and not near as subjectively good looking as the e46. Just my 02¢
                                Last edited by Circa Surviven; 04-12-2021, 05:43 AM. Reason: Forgot the n54
                                Garage:
                                2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
                                1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

Comment

Working...
                                X