M3 with Nav or no Nav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    You can set the backlight color in software-- but on this unit I haven't felt compelled to change it.

I can tell you tonight if the knobs are back lit :P

As in, pic of the OE range rover head unit-- exactly the same as e39 nav, but grey and with beefier knobs.

The screen is certainly not the stock proportions. I don't actually think it is shorter-- just wider. Ultimately, if you want the functionality gain of the bigger screen, the proportion is going to differ from the stock MIKV/avin. Wider is the functional optimal way to go larger, since carplay support split screen these days, width wise-- so I can have nav on the left side and music on the right.

It's a more useful screen, it enables to save 50 lbs from the car without losing functionality, and the looks don't annoy me
    1) So it sound like you’re confirming the color is off? But could be changed. Maybe take a photo of it at night showing how it compares to the rest of interior lights.
    2) So you don’t known if the knobs are backlit like OEM E46? Yes please inform us, many of us are detailed oriented and that’s a huge detail we’d notice immediately and would bother us.
    3)Since you have used a caliper for other measurements. Yes if you wouldn’t mind please quickly get the screen dimensions(H-W), that would help confirm questions that others have said it’s actually shorter too.
    4) Since it’s the exact same unit sold for MG and Rover 75 does it still run off the k-bus with steering wheel controls and features like Water temp/ Oil temp/Outside temp?
    5)Is there a reason why you’re highlighting this one saves 50 lbs like it’s unique? This weight savings is no different from all the others like Dynavin, and the cheap versions like Avin, Eonon, Xtron “OEM double din” units. No?
    Last edited by old///MFanatic; 07-11-2023, 09:40 PM.
    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

You can set the backlight color in software-- but on this unit I haven't felt compelled to change it.

I can tell you tonight if the knobs are back lit :P

The screen is certainly not the stock proportions. I don't actually think it is shorter-- just wider.
      It’s been several days, hoping you had time to answers these and the other questions earlier about this unit you introduced?
      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
        It’s been several days, hoping you had time to answers these and the other questions earlier about this unit you introduced?
        Forgot about this. Just measured the screen and observed the knob.

Screen is 3.150" tall, per my caliper (probably speced as 80mm). The stock 16:9 screen is described as "6.5 diagonal" by BMW, which mean it's 3.2" tall per a random display size calculator I found online. Once you factor out the dead area, the display heights may well be identical. If not, worst case they are 0.05" different

Knobs are not back lit.

... I don't think a brightest time of day button illumination picture will be useful.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I ended up going with Sony XAVAX1000. Slightly older model so it was really cheap, like $300 new, probably $150 slightly used. Still has knob (not illuminated) and usb port in front, with apple carplay being most important feature.

I tossed around the idea of Avin or Dynavin for the OEM look, but in the end it just didn't matter that much to me. It seemed like there are very similar versions you can find on aliexpress that look the same so I decided against it.

Don't like the idea of a head unit faceplate but no cutting is required and the scosche plate tries to blend with the trim lines fairly well.
          Last edited by ugaexploder; 07-16-2023, 05:09 AM.
          /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Forgot about this. Just measured the screen and observed the knob.
            Screen is 3.150" tall, per my caliper.
            Knobs are not back lit.
            .. I don't think a brightest time of day button illumination picture will be useful.
            Ok great thanks. Could you please answer the other specific questions that I asked about in the previous post about unit. They are even numbered to make it simple.

Interested in seeing the night lighting colors and overall how it looks in contrast with the rest of BMW dash/console lighting. Thanks.
            Last edited by old///MFanatic; 07-17-2023, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
              Ok great thanks. Could you also answer the other specific questions that were listed/asked about unit.

Interested in seeing the night lighting colors and overall how it looks in contrast with the rest of BMW dash/console lighting. Thanks.
              Are you asking about this?

Since it’s the exact same unit sold for MG and Rover 75 does it still run off the k-bus with steering wheel controls and features like Water temp/ Oil temp/Outside temp?​
              if so, yes— steering wheel controls work and it can display that Kbus data (plus much more useful stuff, like pulling/resetting codes, voltage display, etc).

If that’s not what you were asking about, what question did you mean?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Anyone know which cable we need to get from XTRONS for cars with HK and Nav from factoy?

Extra Long 6 Meters ISO Wiring Harness for BMW Suitable for Head Unit with Quadlock Connection •Description:Designed by Xtrons the EXL005 is a universal extension lead for BMW vehicles with OEM Sat-Nav, due to the design of these systems the stereo connections are located in the boot which can cause a problem when installing an aftermarket stereo. Previous extensions have only been compatible with the model of stereo being fitted making it difficult to find an alternative solution the EXL005 is specially designed to resolve this issue, the Universal Quadlock means that any aftermarket stereo with standard Quadlock connection can be fitted using this cable, with the correct adapter you can even use this cable to install a unit with an ISO connection. •Features:•EXL005 can be used in BMWE38, E39, E46 with either 17 or 40 pin connections•EXL005 can be used with connects 2 CT53-BM01 to allow easier connection in vehicles with Harmon Kardon or premium sound systems (Some alteration may be required to fit a custom stereo )•EXL005 can be used with most aftermarket manufactures including custom fit models from Eonon and Erisin.

Comment

Working...
                X