M3 with Nav or no Nav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 with Nav or no Nav

Are M3's preferred with oem navigation or no navigation and just the radio?

No nav because weight savings, and don’t have to deal with the pixels going out or it looking outdated (which it is)

Comment

Very personal preference thing, but I too prefer the no nav look.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

No nav, no radio. Delete panel. Best look in my opinion.

Comment

I personally like the nav look, but only if it's an updated, modern aftermarket unit. But it has to retain that OEM look to it. I really hate those flashy color changing, cheap looking ones that don't fit the look of the car.

Comment

OEM Nav +1, it was an option that people didn't want to fork out at the time. I love the look, with an upgraded OEM processor and Bluebus w/ voice and Bluetooth radio, what's not to love?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Partial jack: what’s this “upgraded OEM processor” of which you speak?

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                Partial jack: what’s this “upgraded OEM processor” of which you speak?

maw
                My radio, speakers, NAV, all work exceptionally well except there's a high pitch whine when I turn on the unit. Did my research and found out that our cars have a BM53 unit in the trunk area, there is a repair guy in England that I found on M3 Cutters. His name is Baris Sahan xkalibar@gmail.com, he did a Stage-2 upgrade for me, so the processor chip he repaired (cause of the whine) and then the factory amp chips, he upgraded them to higher quality ones for better RMS than stock. I decided to stick with the factory unit and will go with Bav Sound speakers, with the BlueBus, this should be a great solution for me.

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

My radio, speakers, NAV, all work exceptionally well except there's a high pitch whine when I turn on the unit. Did my research and found out that our cars have a BM53 unit in the trunk area, there is a repair guy in England that I found on M3 Cutters. His name is Baris Sahan xkalibar@gmail.com, he did a Stage-2 upgrade for me, so the processor chip he repaired (cause of the whine) and then the factory amp chips, he upgraded them to higher quality ones for better RMS than stock. I decided to stick with the factory unit and will go with Bav Sound speakers, with the BlueBus, this should be a great solution for me.
                  So your factory system now has more power? I’ve known guys who could do this on other modules (e.g., replaced and upgraded capacitors in 25+ year old MB ECU) and I’m thinking about it for another car, as opposed to ripping it all out as I did here (Dynavin N7 Pro + BavSound + Hertz). Here, I had pixelation in the nav screen and what I did was actually a more cost effective solution (why spend $1k on a new screen for 12year old tech?!).

In the other car, the head unit is fine so upgrading the factory amp chip is what I’d be after if available. I was actually just wondering this morning if such was available, now that people everywhere have started repairing modules. Does this guy have a site or just an email?

WestBankM4 that system will be just fine with BavSound speakers, as long as you don’t need the modern gadgetry.

maw

P.S. I’m on the hunt... thanks for this... https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/radio-...y-baris.94162/... sent the guy an email.
                  Last edited by maw1124; 04-19-2021, 11:25 AM.

Comment

BM53 upgrade site:

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I used and enjoyed the stock nav for just under 15 years. It was way better than people gave it credit for, IMO.

In the end, wireless carplay pushed me off of it. CarPlay has 3 benefits that I see:
                      1) it can't fall out of date, as iOS updates and new apps drive it-- the head unit is just a display
                      2) traffic avoidance
                      3) police locations
                      4) modern music services support

All in an interface that is properly designed to be used while driving.

I combined it with a Qi charger. So, on short drives I leave my phone in my pocket, on long drives I drop it in the console and it wirelessly charges.

Plus, the Avin enabled a project that allowed me to shave 50 lbs of weight off of my car (eliminated all the factory modules, the brackets that hold them, and the entire factory stereo wiring harness).

And it lets me monitor tire temps and pressures on track, which is useful... and pull/reset codes without getting a laptop out. All told, it's a remarkably legit performance mod. My stereo project saved as much weight as the CF roof or bucket seats :P.

M3 wagon version, right after I installed the Qi charger:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=97332&d=1617842016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	99713

Waze:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0074.jpg Views:	12 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	99714

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

^^^this... none of which was available when the car was brought to market... which made upgrading it a no brainer as opposed to “fixing” it... I’ve seen the carphonics guys before... their Mercedes page is “under construction” and it’s a Benz I’m inquiring about... we’ll see if I get a response. Thanks, Gents.

maw
                        Last edited by maw1124; 04-19-2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I wanted to do a "navigation delete". Can you remove everything and that's it? Does anything need to be coded after removal?

Comment

Everything that Obioban said above is true, but with that said I have the factory nav with a bluebus and its great. I had just the radio in my previous car and I like the navi better. I generally have the navi just show the song title/artist dashboard and drop my phone in the door cubby. The bmw navi interface is a bit dated but it's easy to use and fast and the bluebus allows me to ditch the factory TCU module and bluetooth music-streaming and hands-free calling work perfectly.
                            E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                            Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
                              Everything that Obioban said above is true, but with that said I have the factory nav with a bluebus and its great. I had just the radio in my previous car and I like the navi better. I generally have the navi just show the song title/artist dashboard and drop my phone in the door cubby. The bmw navi interface is a bit dated but it's easy to use and fast and the bluebus allows me to ditch the factory TCU module and bluetooth music-streaming and hands-free calling work perfectly.
                              I have the bluebus with MKIV stock nav on the e39 M5, and it's great. TONS of extra modern functionality with the stock hardware. Far more of a "timeless" solution (cheap chinese head units aren't going to age as well as the stock nav, which very much has a charm to it). If you're sticking with any OE head unit, Bluebus is a no brainer, must have mod, IMO.

... and on that topic, the bluebus microphone for speakerphone sound canceling blows the android head units out of the water. I've been trying, so far without success, to talk the bluebus maker to create a sound canceling board for mics on aftermarket head units. In the android head unit cars, I have to use my AirPods to have people be able to hear me on the phone.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                              X