M3 with Nav or no Nav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bostonbruck View Post
    No nav because weight savings, and don’t have to deal with the pixels going out or it looking outdated (which it is)
    As if the entire e46 interior isn’t outdated. Being outdated isn’t a bad thing as it fits the theme of the car. As long as everything is mint

And many no nav owners go for aftermarket nav that look stock anyway lol

Comment

Really depends on your priorities. If you like keeping things stock and looking to sell in the future, then no Nav is simple, cleaner, and less compromised. Much easier overall
      But if you just want to enjoy the car and have a capable/modern sound system then I'd get the nav and upgrade to something like AVIN or Dynavin. Looks Oem and works well enough.
      I've had both Nav and no Nav on an e46 and I currently really enjoy the AVIN system despite all its shortcomings. I think we'll see the platform only get better as long as there is a market which is great for the Nav guys

Comment

+1 for no nav

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
          But if you just want to enjoy the car and have a capable/modern sound system then I'd get the nav and upgrade to something like AVIN or Dynavin. Looks Oem and works well enough.
          Aren't those aftermarket touchscreen head units easier to install on non nav cars? I thought nav cars have everything in the trunk and so a cable has to be run from the trunk to the head unit.

If so, I guess nav cars only make sense if you really want to stick to stock.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Aren't those aftermarket touchscreen head units easier to install on non nav cars? I thought nav cars have everything in the trunk and so a cable has to be run from the trunk to the head unit.

True only need to replace the bracket in the oem radio so its easier to install an aftermarket unit.. I suppose i was talking more along the lines of preference between nav or non nav. But youre absolutely right

Comment

Originally posted by aj6543 View Post
              Are M3's preferred with oem navigation or no navigation and just the radio?
              A car with Navigation will be valued slightly higher than one without.

If you’re asking personal preference that’s another story. Some don’t like it. Some love it. It was a costly option.
              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Having done both installs, I’d say comparable. For nav cars you have to run a wiring harness from the trunk forward; for non nav cars you need to disassemble more of the center console, replace a bracket, and relocate the HVAC.

... both are easy.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                  ... and on that topic, the bluebus microphone for speakerphone sound canceling blows the android head units out of the water. I've been trying, so far without success, to talk the bluebus maker to create a sound canceling board for mics on aftermarket head units. In the android head unit cars, I have to use my AirPods to have people be able to hear me on the phone.
                  This would just require a ton of development and would have a very small target customer base, IMO.

I've been mulling over building a replacement for the MKIV & BM53 that would retain the Board Monitor in the dashboard. I would build in Bluetooth, DAB / HD Radio, and CarPlay / Android auto. Finding the time to develop it is really the difficult part

-Ted

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post
                    I've been mulling over building a replacement for the MKIV & BM53 that would retain the Board Monitor in the dashboard. I would build in Bluetooth, DAB / HD Radio, and CarPlay / Android auto. Finding the time to develop it is really the difficult part
                    This would be incredible. I’d be in for two to replace my two bluebus units!

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

This would be incredible. I’d be in for two to replace my two bluebus units!
                      Haha, thanks for the vote of support!

To answer the OP: Nav all day. So much so that I am retrofitting factory Nav into my 325i Touring.

-Ted

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

This would just require a ton of development and would have a very small target customer base, IMO.

-Ted
                        I don't think it's a small market-- basically anyone with a car (any brand) with an aftermarket head unit!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I used and enjoyed the stock nav for just under 15 years. It was way better than people gave it credit for, IMO.

In the end, wireless carplay pushed me off of it. CarPlay has 3 benefits that I see:
                          1) it can't fall out of date, as iOS updates and new apps drive it-- the head unit is just a display
                          2) traffic avoidance
                          3) police locations
                          4) modern music services support

All in an interface that is properly designed to be used while driving.

I combined it with a Qi charger. So, on short drives I leave my phone in my pocket, on long drives I drop it in the console and it wirelessly charges.

Plus, the Avin enabled a project that allowed me to shave 50 lbs of weight off of my car (eliminated all the factory modules, the brackets that hold them, and the entire factory stereo wiring harness).

And it lets me monitor tire temps and pressures on track, which is useful... and pull/reset codes without getting a laptop out. All told, it's a remarkably legit performance mod. My stereo project saved as much weight as the CF roof or bucket seats :P.

M3 wagon version, right after I installed the Qi charger:

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=97332&d=1617842016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	99713

Waze:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0074.jpg Views:	12 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	99714

Hi Obioban. I am reacting to an old post as it is of interest to me. I am contemplating an audio upgrade on my e46 M3 with factory Harmon Kardin and nav and I am focused replacing it with the Avant 4 as i want to maintain the OEM look and use Apple CarPlay. Now that we are 2023, would you still make the same installation? My OEM amplifier is shorting out and I believe that it is the known problem with the faulty connector. Rather than repair, can i simply eliminate it as well as the OEM nav unit? is this a straight forward install than a reputable Dallas area car audio shop should be able to complete?
                          Last edited by M3 Driver; 06-25-2023, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Baris can add CarPlay to the stock MKIV head unit, including touch screen. That’s what I’d do, if I were starting fresh today.

he can also repair/upgrade a faulty bm53 amp.

That said, the Avin install is super easy.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Baris can add CarPlay to the stock MKIV head unit, including touch screen. That’s what I’d do, if I were starting fresh today.

he can also repair/upgrade a faulty bm53 amp.

That said, the Avin install is super easy.
                              I really want to try to develop a fully plug and play (using the rotary controls), no Video Module (TV Tuner) required solution for CarPlay, but mannnnn, I just don't think there are enough Nav cars left to justify the development required .

Baris' solution is nice, but there's so much extra stuff required (either the iDrive controller or swapping the BMBT screen).

-Ted

Comment

Personally hate Nav. Specifically sought out a car without it. A screen has no place in a car from the early 2000s in my opinion, prefer to focus on the driving experience with minimal distractions. ‘Business CD’ player blends in far better.

Personal preference of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X