Turbo S54 in progress, have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo S54 in progress, have some questions

Decided to give up the CSL induction airbox life in exchange for a little but more power. (hoping for 350-400 whp with quicker spool and only running wastegate spring of 8psi)

My main goal is to have a turbo system on my s54 that give me just a little more power, quick spool and as much reliability as possible with an aftermarket turbo kit. I will be retaining the stock M3 exhaust system on my car which is the Section 1, 2 and 3. (i can swap out 2 and 3 later at any time in the future for larger diameter options if i feel the urge to.) I will be adapting the 3 inch down pipe to a Y pipe 3 inch to dual 2.25 inch with 4 inch on center spacing to merge into the stock section 1.

My oil feed/drain system will be as simple as I can get it to be consisting of -4an feed line from oil filter housing and a -10 drain into the oil pan.

I planned on draining the oil and tapping the pan with the new -10 fitting and then removing the center large cover on the bottom of the pan to access the pan internals to remove any excess shavings that may have got into the pan and flush it as well with fresh oil.

For the vacuum system i am tapping the end of the air rail on the end facing front of the car and installing a 4an-1/8 90 degree swivel fitting and running -4 black SS line to under the intake manifold to a vacuum manifold to Tee off the BOV, MAP and boost gauge.

We will be welding on the Tial 44mm WG flange directly to the Turbine housing for the 44mm WG and plumb that back into the Waste gate since i prefer a quieter option.

WG will get boost reading directly from compressor housing with a new 4an 90 degree fitting i tap it for.

e46 sedan with S54 swap and the parts i have listed below are what I have pieced together so far.

SPA S54 T4 turbo manifold
    Borg Warner 200 sx &4 turbo 51mm inducer with .83ar on exhaust side
    Deepmotor aluminum intake manifold
    Tial 44mm wg
    Tial 50mm BOV
    28x9x2.5 tube and fin intercooler
    an assortment of silicon couplers and tbolt clamps, reducers, 90s,45s
    assortment of aluminum 3 inch piping to cut and weld for charge piping

friend of mine will be helping me with charge and down pipe cutting/welding

local tuner is working with me in hopes of tweaking the CSL TUNE file for turbo. We have gotten wonderful help from Terraphantm on some inner workings of the CSL file but are still in the research phase for now. My main reason for stock DME tuning option is retain MAP sensor function of CSL tune, retain the CSL oil level read out in the CSL tune and also maintain emission compliance since we have that annually here.

Items I need some help with are:

- PCV connections from the valve cover to the intake manifold (do i delete the PCV system completely? replace with a catch can setup? how would that routing look on an S54?)
    - Sucking jet line connection from intake manifold to booster Y split (get rid of sucking jet line completely and code it out in the dme? what does the sucking jet even do?)
    - IACV connection (this i think i have figured out, replacing the snap fit connector at the end of the IACV hose and replace with a hard plastic 90 degree fitting and run a 5/8th hose line to bottom of the intake manifold which happens to have a larger port with a barbed fitting i can use with a hose clamp)

thanks for any ideas you can think of.

Radium Engineering has a more or less clean way of mounting the a catch can. Not too in the face IMO.

2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

PCV can be run from the intake in front of the turbo to the valve cover. I have the radium catch can but to be fair it's a pretty pricey piece for what you get. I'm not sure about the other parts, mine is an older model.
      IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post
        Radium Engineering has a more or less clean way of mounting the a catch can. Not too in the face IMO.

https://www.vividracing.com/radium-e...150761478.html
        How do you run a catch can in a turbo setup? If I connect the catch can from the valve cover to the intake manifold, won't that pressurize the crank case would I instead run it from the valve cover to the pre turbo intake pipe instead?

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

How do you run a catch can in a turbo setup? If I connect the catch can from the valve cover to the intake manifold, won't that pressurize the crank case would I instead run it from the valve cover to the pre turbo intake pipe instead?
          To the turbo inlet. Or vent the can

Comment

My hose goes from the intake pipe in front of the turbo to the can. Then from the can to the valve cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
              My hose goes from the intake pipe in front of the turbo to the can. Then from the can to the valve cover.
              did you still retain the PCV itself thats under the plastic beauty cover or do you remove that? once its removed do you need to tap/thread the valve cover PCV fitting area to accept the catch can line fittings? one of my buddies locally has a turbo setup with a catch can like that but he has this aftermarket piece that is no longer made anymore that replaces the PCV unit and allows to run a catch can line from the valve cover to the van itself.

thanks for the help!

Comment

I left the 90 deg connector and cut the plastic hose off. The catch can hose sits on it with a hose clamp. Everything under the plastic cover was left alone.

Comment

0-60motorsports documented the install very nicely here if you didn't see it.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...all-and-review

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
                    0-60motorsports documented the install very nicely here if you didn't see it.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...all-and-review
                    thanks, thats for an NA setup so it does help but not exactly the same.

the main thing i was curious about is the oil separator that's under the beauty cover. every where i read for a catch can setup, no one ever mentions if they retain thePCV oil separator or if they remove it and just run the line from the hole where the oil separator was.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

thanks, thats for an NA setup so it does help but not exactly the same.

the main thing i was curious about is the oil separator that's under the beauty cover. every where i read for a catch can setup, no one ever mentions if they retain thePCV oil separator or if they remove it and just run the line from the hole where the oil separator was.
                      I've never seen a catch can install with it removed.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I've never seen a catch can install with it removed.
                        thanks for confirming. I will leave mine in with a catch can setup.

what about the Air shut off valve? my new intake manifold has additional 1/8 ports on the bottom currently plugged. i can install a 1/8th barbed fitting and run a hose to the air shut off valve (I can slice off the snap fitting connector). will it be an issue for the air shut off valve seeing boost?

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X