Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Carbon Fiber group buys would you like to see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Carbon Fiber group buys would you like to see?

Hello,
    My name is Andrew and I love making carbon fiber parts. This all started when i realized most of the market is filled with fiberglass backed carbon parts that also tend to be on the heavier side. Take the Seibon hood for example, it’s weight is almost similar to stock. Pretty disappointing.. anyways, since I started my small business I’ve ran into the issue of investing money into molds that few end up buying. All my parts are vacuum infused and full carbon unless Kevlar is used. I can make just about anything the issue is the upfront costs for tooling. That means whether you want to see a roof, fenders, trunks etc i can make it happen and because I just want to grow my business i wouldn’t mind offering generous pricing. My background is in Aerospace laying up critical parts. and I consider everything when designing my own. Strength, weight, and overall quality. I love the E46 M3 platform and it serves as a great test dummy for all the parts i make. I would love to mold up a roof next so share your thoughts on that. I’m also currently designing a track oriented diffuser to pair with my splitter. Hope this post is useful, and I’d love to tackle on new projects!

Would love to see more diffuser options like what Varis offers. But maybe cheaper and more availability..

Curious to see how your diffuser looks.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

You could corner the market on CSL style CF cabin air filter holders. Not that sexy of a product but drops a decent amount of weight from a good location, and no one currently makes them. Doesn’t have to be absolutely perfect looking either. I would buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
        You could corner the market on CSL style CF cabin air filter holders. Not that sexy of a product but drops a decent amount of weight from a good location, and no one currently makes them. Doesn’t have to be absolutely perfect looking either. I would buy one.
        Yes, this! Assuming fit is good, I'd buy one too
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Not just the housing, but the thing the housing bolts onto. Heavy bit!

The CSL concept car had a CF thrust plate, that didn't make it to production. Could be a fun new bit.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            Not just the housing, but the think the housing bolts onto. Heavy bit!

The CSL concept car had a CF thrust plate, that didn't make it to production. Could be a fun new bit.
            Is the thrust plate the plate underneath the oil pan? Because I’ve actually considered it.

Comment

Originally posted by ckracingco View Post

Is the thrust plate the plate underneath the oil pan? Because I’ve actually considered it.
              Yes.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by dl.m3 View Post
                  Would love to see more diffuser options like what Varis offers. But maybe cheaper and more availability..

Curious to see how your diffuser looks.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
                  What do you think of something like this? Made it out of carbon Kevlar material cause that’s the scheme I’m going with my aero parts but it can be made out of just carbon.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
                    Where are you located?
                    Orange county

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                      Not just the housing, but the thing the housing bolts onto. Heavy bit!
                      He's right. I have mine disassembled currently. Will try to remember to weigh it later today, but was surprised how heavy it is, whatever that part part the housing bolts into is called.

Ha, it's literally called "Microfilter housing, bottom part". It's part number 3 here:
                      https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...47#64318362894

According to RealOEM, it's 1.69kg (3.7lbs). The microfilter housing / part #4 is 2.54kg (5.6lbs) so a total of 4.23kg (9.3lbs). I bet a properly made CF piece would be 1-3 pounds.

I'll still try to weigh it later to confirm the weights.
                      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

I'm interested in thrust plate and filter parts as well.

Comment

A US made 1x1 and 2x2 pre-preg/autoclave or at minimum vacuum infused CSL 1:1 diffuser is something that needs to happen. Surprised no one said it

Comment

Yes, a CSL diffuser would be great, especially if you're located locally in OC!

The parts already mentioned are good ideas too. Microfilter housings, race-type diffusers, CF interior door panels, interior trim pieces
                            "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                            ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                              Found and ordered this one: https://www.psdesignsglobal.com/_sho...lter-housing-/

Is this what you were thinking?
                              2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
                              Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
                              SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
                              ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
                              Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Comment

Working...
                              X