Karbonius CF reproduction of standard S54 plenum (EOI) - **PROTOTYPE VIDEO**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To confirm a few more details:
    - the plenum will be made in two pieces together but bonded together to result in a one-piece (so no CSL air filter)
    - carbon fibre trumpets will be fitted
    - Karbonius opted for a flat top surface (versus the having humps like the OE plenum) as this provides a louder sound. They were also not aiming for an exact reproduction.

Comment

I am interested!
      My concern is that if they can make them CARB compliant and argue that they dont alter emmisions since it runs a MAF and is an "OEM" design.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon.dre View Post
        I am interested!
        My concern is that if they can make them CARB compliant and argue that they dont alter emmisions since it runs a MAF and is an "OEM" design.
        Is that something the manufacturer has to do, or something that the owner of the car does?

Comment

Originally posted by ///MBan View Post

Is that something the manufacturer has to do, or something that the owner of the car does?
          The manufacturer would have to submit the intake to the CARB for testing and would be certified saying the intake doesnt alter emmisions. Could they also make a CSL MAF version?

please refer to the link below on how emmisions work for California regarding modifications , (the USA recognizes them in all 50 states)
          https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mo...to%20pile%20up.
          Last edited by Carbon.dre; 07-13-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Carbon.dre. I can ask Karbonius but I honestly doubt that it would make sense for them for such a low volume part.

Comment

Thanks, Carbon.dre. I can ask Karbonius but I honestly doubt that it would make sense for them for such a low volume part.
              Im sure if they advertised it or we made a group buy on some pages and told some shops in CA tons of people would do it. Majority of M3 guys dont go CSL since they cant pass emissions and don't want to deal with it. I think it would be a good idea to do it. Euro Connex has a big following and is able to do group buys and customs jobs like this.

Comment

Im sure if they advertised it or we made a group buy on some pages and told some shops in CA tons of people would do it. Majority of M3 guys dont go CSL since they cant pass emissions and don't want to deal with it. I think it would be a good idea to do it. Euro Connex has a big following and is able to do group buys and customs jobs like this.

So, are you proposing to start a new group buy with Euro Connex to make something that is CARB legal?

Comment

The prototype is now finished and Karbonius have provided new pictures. Fitment and sound to be tested next week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2E84DB5B-51BB-4D39-BC69-2DC7B28AD3DF.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	176143

Name:	3DAADEF6-E0EC-4967-A7E8-5C793A1754A1.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	176144

Name:	6E3FD520-413B-47E4-8BBA-41448F824576.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	176145

Name:	42F0ECF1-5137-45F4-B5D4-2642928A0C84.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	176146

Name:	1672C383-E0A8-497D-A12C-B21748411CC9.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	176147

Name:	244366A9-6F7E-4C8D-985B-7B4CAD1F324F.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	176148 Click image for larger version

Name:	6410CB7B-C4C1-40C4-B167-7FEF3CAA0023.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	176149
                  Attached Files

Comment

So, are you proposing to start a new group buy with Euro Connex to make something that is CARB legal?
                    I’d be all in to support your current design - if you feel I can help, let’s take it to DM! I can chat with Ana at Karbonius afterwards. I have a way to work with Karbonius that would fit in with this.

On the MAF compatibility: I think there’s value for CA guys - and also any pre MSS54HP DME owners, which is the vast majority of us.

Having gone through the DME swap, it’s an expensive PITA.

My current concerns having talked to 2x well known CSL airbox designers is the compatibility with MAF on the inlet. The sensors are picked and tuned for specific diameters and airflow.

Comment

The manufacturer would have to submit the intake to the CARB for testing and would be certified saying the intake doesnt alter emmisions. Could they also make a CSL MAF version?

please refer to the link below on how emmisions work for California regarding modifications , (the USA recognizes them in all 50 states)
                      https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mo...to%20pile%20up.
                      I asked Karbonius about CARB accreditation and they said, being based a global supplier based in Spain, it's not really feasible for them to go through emissions testing in individual markets. Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

I’d be all in to support your current design - if you feel I can help, let’s take it to DM! I can chat with Ana at Karbonius afterwards. I have a way to work with Karbonius that would fit in with this.

On the MAF compatibility: I think there’s value for CA guys - and also any pre MSS54HP DME owners, which is the vast majority of us.

Having gone through the DME swap, it’s an expensive PITA.

My current concerns having talked to 2x well known CSL airbox designers is the compatibility with MAF on the inlet. The sensors are picked and tuned for specific diameters and airflow.
                        IMO it seems more simple to drill and fab a mount for the maf and they already have molds too

Comment

IMO it seems more simple to drill and fab a mount for the maf and they already have molds too
                          On what? It won't work on the current CSL airbox design. You need a very specific diameter and shape of the inlet tube to position the MAF bung - otherwise it simply won't work.

Comment

Please add me to the list as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimm3 View Post
                              Please add me to the list as well!
                              Done - thanks.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Working...
                                X