This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

I have a question: can the OEM multi-function steering wheel be converted to a single button ZCP by fitting the ZCP trims? Does it require coding?
    Whyyyyyyyyyy? I'm pretty sure there will be some coding required. If it's pre-facelift, youre talking a whole additional project....
    2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

If you're doing the rear control arms (I assume that's what you meant by links), absolutely do sealed monoball RTABs (not bimmerworlds).

ZCP steering trim is trappable, but the M track mode button won't function unless you swap in an 817.3 DSC module (ZCP/CSL module). Besides working with the button, that DSC module has less aggressive (better for track use) ABS and/or can be flashed with the software BMW used on their e46 race cars.

Those DSC modules (817.3) are pretty hard to find and stupidly expensive new. It took me over a year of searching to find one. You're probably better off just coding the DSC button to be quick tap M track mode, long press off.

Plus, that way you can keep your steering wheel controls for changing engine maps on the fly. Even with the 817.3 DSC module, I toggle M track mode using the extra button on the e39 wiper stalk, so I can keep my steering wheel controls. IMO it's nice to not have to take your hands off the steering wheel for anything other than shifting.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post

Whyyyyyyyyyy? I'm pretty sure there will be some coding required. If it's pre-facelift, youre talking a whole additional project....
        I'm seeing this as a driving focused car - I'd run a no button steering if I could ala Porsche Cayman if I could! I miss that feeling.

Pic from my old 987.2S

Click image for larger version  Name:	6B0BB2AB-D558-4223-A439-A21E6B23791A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	136095
        Last edited by Epoustouflant; 11-08-2021, 08:04 AM.

Comment

There is a blank panel as well.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

See below.

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            If you're doing the rear control arms (I assume that's what you meant by links), absolutely do sealed monoball RTABs (not bimmerworlds).

Good to know. We'll be putting it on the lift next week to validate what's clanking at the back. Either the strut tower or RTABs from the sounds of it. I was looking at Turner's kits, thoughts?

ZCP steering trim is trappable, but the M track mode button won't function unless you swap in an 817.3 DSC module (ZCP/CSL module). Besides working with the button, that DSC module has less aggressive (better for track use) ABS and/or can be flashed with the software BMW used on their e46 race cars.

Those DSC modules (817.3) are pretty hard to find and stupidly expensive new. It took me over a year of searching to find one. You're probably better off just coding the DSC button to be quick tap M track mode, long press off.

It seems like the MK60 DSC was added in MY2003 and I could retrofit M-Track mode to that button via coding per your posts here.

Plus, that way you can keep your steering wheel controls for changing engine maps on the fly. Even with the 817.3 DSC module, I toggle M track mode using the extra button on the e39 wiper stalk, so I can keep my steering wheel controls. IMO it's nice to not have to take your hands off the steering wheel for anything other than shifting.

Comment

See below.

There's 3 different "MK60"s that came on e46 M3s. Only the 817.3 variant is internally wired to work the the button. IIRC (off the top of my head, should be fact checked) 817.3 and 813.3 can be flashed with the BMW motorsport (actual race car) software.

There is a zero button steering wheel trim, if that's what you're going for.

That said, functionally, steering wheel buttons is more driving focused IMO-- more time with your hands left on the wheel, less time looking down and messing with other buttons.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

There's 3 different "MK60"s that came on e46 M3s. Only the 817.3 variant is internally wired to work the the button.

There is a zero button steering wheel trim, if that's what you're going for.

That said, functionally, steering wheel buttons is more driving focused IMO-- more time with your hands left on the wheel, less time looking down and messing with other buttons.
                Thoughts on this?

Comment

Thoughts on this?
                  That enables M track mode via the DSC button (as in, I used that guide on my M3 wagon to give it M track mode). After you follow that procedure, as short press of the DSC button gives you M track mode and a long press of the DSC button give you full DSC off. Before following that guide, a short or long press of the DSC button is DSC off.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

That enables M track mode via the DSC button (as in, I used that guide on my M3 wagon to give it M track mode). After you follow that procedure, as short press of the DSC button gives you M track mode and a long press of the DSC button give you full DSC off. Before following that guide, a short or long press of the DSC button is DSC off.
                    Got it - so realistically, the only way to run a CSL / ZCP single button trim is with the CSL DSC module?

Comment

Got it - so realistically, the only way to run a CSL / ZCP single button trim is with the CSL DSC module?
                      CSL/ZCP DSC module, yes.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Continuing the parts pile up!

Things that are incoming or have arrived:
                        • CF interior trims
                        • Alcantara steering wheel, e brake boot, shift booth & center arm rest.
                        • Illuminated alcantara shift knob
                        • CSL airbox, snorkel & install kit
                        • A & C OEM new pillars
                        • LCI tailights covers & trims
                        • OEM center mirror replacement
                        • CSL wheels
                        • ACL mixed set bearings & ARP bolts

I'l finally be able to get to unbolting the VF supercharger over the Christmas break to put it up for sale.

Next on the list:
                        1. Has anyone had any chance restoring the center ashtrays? Mine are FUBAR and they aren't sold separately.
                        2. Getting the prototype forged CSL wheels project going.
                        3. Still trying to figure out what to do with the flywheel & clutch
                        4. Chatting with a famous header manufacturer to introduce an alternative to the SS stepped headers.
                        5. Front seats!
                        6. Will inspect the suspension and brakes to see what's needed, and where to go from there.
                        7. VANOS kit; I need to start researching this.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Epoustouflant; 12-11-2021, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Continuing the parts pile up!
                          Things that are incoming or have arrived:
                          • CF interior trims
                          • Alcantara steering wheel, e brake boot, shift booth & center arm rest.
                          • Illuminated alcantara shift knob
                          • CSL airbox, snorkel & install kit
                          • CSL wheels
                          Where did you find the CSL wheels?

Nice list πŸ‘πŸ»
                          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                            Where did you find the CSL wheels?

Nice list πŸ‘πŸ»
                            Used! Though I’m pretty sure they are ZCP and I just don’t know what I’m talking about today. Just a base to use to do them in 1 piece forged.

Comment

Ashtray and center console refinishing here from a fellow member
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/classifieds/member-services-rentals-products/17670-interior-trim-refinishing-service-–-bmw-e46m-zcp-wheel-trim-soft-touch-restoration

Comment

Thank you! That's exactly what I need.

Comment

Working...
                                X