Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-O View Post
    Hello Heinz,

When you de-pinned and re-routed your post cat O2 harness was the wiring long enough to accommodate the OEM Euro wire guide/connector mount? My harness is not long enough to use the wire guide/mount, and I am trying to determine if I somehow did not fully extend the harness or if the shortage is to be expected.

Thanks.

D-O​
    Hmm, mine feels like it should be long enough, but I accidentally didn't buy all the necessary euro parts when I did it, so I didn't end up using them. My wires are currently just tucked into the transmission harness clips/zip tied out of the way.

I think Bry5on did it the same way I did and also installed the euro stuff? Not sure if he extended the wires though.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Hello Heinz,

When you de-pinned and re-routed your post cat O2 harness was the wiring long enough to accommodate the OEM Euro wire guide/connector mount? My harness is not long enough to use the wire guide/mount, and I am trying to determine if I somehow did not fully extend the harness or if the shortage is to be expected.

Thanks.

D-O​
      The rear O2 sensors are different lengths for Euro vs US which means the DME harness is most likely different (definitely different part number):

Euro
      Oxygen sensor BOSCH/L=750MM 1 11781405324
      Oxygen sensor L=480MM 1 11787832035

US
      Oxygen sensor BOSCH/L=1075MM 1 11781406621
      Oxygen sensor BOSCH/L=935MM 1 11781406622

The US ones are longer, so you would think it would reach with some extra slack. The location of the O2 plugs might not be in an ideal spot to clip them in under the car with the euro cable box.​

Comment

The engine harness is not long enough to reach the locations where the plugs should fit in the euro harness. The US O2 sensor harnesses themselves are longer than euro so you can make it reach without cutting, it just won’t fit into the factory euro clips perfectly.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2936.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	271981
        Last edited by Bry5on; 07-14-2024, 10:09 PM.
        ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
          The engine harness is not long enough to reach the locations where the plugs should fit in the euro harness. The US O2 sensor harnesses themselves are longer than euro so you can make it reach without cutting, it just won’t fit into the factory euro clips perfectly.

Name:	IMG_2936.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	271981
          This is where I am at ^^.

Thanks to all three of you guys.

D-O
          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

The rear O2 sensors are different lengths for Euro vs US which means the DME harness is most likely different (definitely different part number):

Euro
            Oxygen sensor BOSCH/L=750MM 1 11781405324
            Oxygen sensor L=480MM 1 11787832035

US
            Oxygen sensor BOSCH/L=1075MM 1 11781406621
            Oxygen sensor BOSCH/L=935MM 1 11781406622

The US ones are longer, so you would think it would reach with some extra slack. The location of the O2 plugs might not be in an ideal spot to clip them in under the car with the euro cable box.​
            I put the Euro DME harness in my car a while back because I was unhappy with how my hacked US one turned out. Easy job. Three of the four sensors are on US cars but have to be rotated around, and I had to buy the 480mm one new (Bosch generic from eBay for $50). The harness used to be a couple hundred bucks which was a no brainer to me. Last I checked it was like $600 now which is pointless.

Comment

Ran a quick experiment today to get an idea of how to tune shifter mass damper.

The shifter rattle is most prominent above 6k rpm in third gear, so I found a place where I could go WOT in third from about 4k to redline. I also (mostly arbitrarily) chose the following three positions for the damper:

1. As far down as it would go

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240719_185253.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.5 KB ID:	272565

2. As far up as it would go before slipping off the shank

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240719_191657.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.4 KB ID:	272566

3. Roughly in the middle of the previous two positions

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240719_193920.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.5 KB ID:	272567

Most of the force that is oscillating the shift lever back and forth should be coming from the selector rod and carrier, as the rest of the points are suspended with rubber bushings. Felt to me like the selector rod would play the biggest role, so my guess was that the higher the damper sat, the more it would dampen the rattle, since more force would be needed at the selector rod joint to move the shift lever through the same angular displacement.

Testing consisted of me setting the damper to one of the heights and then doing a WOT pull. I recorded each pull with my phone (placed in the same spot) to try and quantify the rattle.

I put the audio from the three pulls through a low pass filter to isolate the rattle and then tried to match the gain across all three tracks. That last part was more of a guessing game than anything else, since I couldn't turn off the dynamic mic gain on my phone, but still good enough. Here's the spectrogram comparison with a rough rpm guide overlaid (rattle is the red areas):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 10.31.51 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	877.7 KB ID:	272568

The most prominent thing to note is how the amplitude of the rattle is pretty much constant all the way from 6k to 8k in the top position, grows with rpm in the bottom position, but it is really only loud from 6.5-7.2k in the middle position. Not at all what I was expecting! But my anecdotal observations do match the data. The middle position seems much better tuned.

So, turns out my hypothesis was wrong. Guess the carrier contributes more than I expected? Either way, glad I ran this experiment and learned something new.

I'm pretty sure there's more to be tuned, but I can't think of a way to do it on the street without spending hours doing the same thing with much smaller vertical displacement increments. I have been kinda wanting to go back to the dyno now that I have the wideband in my headers, so that might be the perfect opportunity to do this. Can just hold the car at 6.5kish rpm in third and move the damper up and down to find the sweet spot.

Anyway, gonna leave it in the middle position for now and maybe I'll mess with it again in the future.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Impressive. Was the middle also the best position by feel?
                Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Impressive. Was the middle also the best position by feel?
                  Oh yeah I forgot to talk about that. The answer is no. The top position has a very slight improvement in feel over the middle one. Feel doesn't change nearly as much as rattle amplitude, so I decided to keep it in the middle.

Comment

Heard my airbox start rattling again so went and checked on it. Turns out the bushings I printed rode up on the posts so much that they were no longer doing their job:

Name:	20240721_145853.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	272722

This is what they looked like (well, two of them, the third is lost forever in the engine bay abyss):

Name:	20240721_150443.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	272723

Name:	20240721_150354.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	272724

They've certainly taken some damage! This might be one of those "replace at every oil change" things. Oh well, they require 0.5 g of material to print and can be installed in 5 min, so not super worried about the short replacement interval.

To combat the riding up issue I created a V2. Part is the same as before, but with a base, which should keep them in place:

Name:	20240721_161752.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	272725

I made the base the same thickness as the grey "weatherstripping" on the unfiltered section and notched that out for clearance:

Name:	20240721_150720.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	272726

Everything installed:

Name:	20240721_162308.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	272727

Name:	20240721_162607.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	272728

Let's see how long these last!

Comment

For this week's project, I decided to make a phone mount, as I didn't like any of the products on the market. The design had three hard requirements:
                      1. Able to be (un)installed in <5s. I only ever want the mount to be visible when my phone is installed, so it has to be easily stashable.
                      2. Phone has to be above the dash. I really like the placement of the iDrive hump in the E82, so wanted to it to be at about that height.
                      3. Mount cannot block other interfaces. Can't be in front of cluster, radio, A/C, etc.
                      My initial approach was to attach a base to the dash bar and have some interface (likely magnetic) come out through the left side dash vent. Should be very solid like this and hidden when the main mount body isn't installed. Some pics of the development of that section:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240630_102640.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	273394
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20240701_233854.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	273395
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20240702_193027.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	273396

The idea is sound, but the vent itself has a lot less space than I originally envisioned. This means that I would likely need to use the vents that point at the door as stiffness reinforcements for the long thin cantilever coming from the dash bar piece. So I decided to scrap the dash bar idea and instead make something that just attaches to the vent.

After some iterations, I came up with a design that attaches to the vent very securely:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240723_113625.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	273397
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20240723_113620.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	273398
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20240723_113536.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	273399

With that figured out, I moved on to figuring out the ideal location for my phone. Some pics of that process:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240724_104857.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.5 KB ID:	273400
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20240724_111724.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.3 KB ID:	273401

And the final product next to a couple earlier prototypes (I think the "scaffolded" one on the left is particularly cool looking, but ultimately was less stiff and bulkier than the ones on the right):

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240726_102333.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.2 KB ID:	273402
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20240726_102348.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	273403

Installed on the car:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240726_103745.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	273404
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20240726-WA0005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	273405

Side view of an earlier prototype:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.2 KB ID:	273406

I'm super happy with how this turned out. Installation is extremely easy, there is practically zero vibration when moving and it's entirely out of the way of everything. Roadtrips should be much nicer now!

Comment

Can you do a RHD one LOL?

Comment

I'm a big fan of the concept of the induktiv Qi charger plus wireless CarPlay, but the execution really needs improvement. As in, the phone slides around and off the Qi happy spot. Even when it is on target, the charger can't quite keep up with a phone doing navigation.

I'm very much hoping with Qi2 coming out, they do an updated version with "magsafe". It would make me 100% satisfied with that solution. It really like the idea of, leave phone in pocket for short drives (and still have it on screen via wireless carplay), or drop it on the qi charger center console for longer drives.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-20240726-WA0005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	273405
                            Any concerns about the phone potentially going out the window?
                            '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
                            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                              I'm a big fan of the concept of the induktiv Qi charger plus wireless CarPlay, but the execution really needs improvement. As in, the phone slides around and off the Qi happy spot. Even when it is on target, the charger can't quite keep up with a phone doing navigation.

I'm very much hoping with Qi2 coming out, they do an updated version with "magsafe". It would make me 100% satisfied with that solution. It really like the idea of, leave phone in pocket for short drives (and still have it on screen via wireless carplay), or drop it on the qi charger center console for longer drives.
                              Same here, for now its coming out and getting replaced with cupholders LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Mike RT4 View Post
                                Can you do a RHD one LOL?
                                I bet if you mirror it horizontally it'll be plug and play, but I don't have a way to test that version over here in the US. I'll post the CAD to karter16's CAD thread soonish, but I want to get some good seat time with it first in case I want to tweak it further. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to drive the car around with the final version at all, but should be able to get some driving in later this week.

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I agree that it's a great concept, but not the best execution. Didn't like the E82 version either. I don't think I'll use this mount too often though, mostly just on longer trips.

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                                Any concerns about the phone potentially going out the window?
                                Ha, you're not the first person to ask that. Definitely a risk, but I basically never drive with the windows down, so it should be fine. I might try to find a low profile 90 deg USB cable that I can attach to the mount as a sort of "retaining strap". Just for that little extra bit of security.

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                                Same here, for now its coming out and getting replaced with cupholders LOL
                                Yeeeah, the one I bought for the E82 was only installed for a little while. If you don't have nav, the sunglasses holder cubby under the radio is a great spot for a custom wireless charger install.

Comment

Working...
                                X